End of an era, last broadcast of NHL on NBC

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
But I know Kenny is moving onto TNT. Gross. Can't stand his calls.

I never tire of him reminding us that it's game X of round X of the Stanley Cup playoffs every other minute. Followed by telling us about the shot totals and how much time is left to play like we couldn't see it on our screens.

Also his voice is not really great for commentating.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I bet it's going to be the same as when Canadian contract got switched from Bell to Rogers.

At first, people were happy to see a change...then not even a year after, they started complaining than the old was better.

It's been a while since ESPN had hockey, and let's be honest, their 1st time wasn't their best. Don't get your expectations too high.

Reactions: FMichael

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I bet it's going to be the same as when Canadian contract got switched from Bell to Rogers.

At first, people were happy to see a change...then not even a year after, they started complaining than the old was better.

It's been a while since ESPN had hockey, and let's be honest, their 1st time wasn't their best. Don't get your expectations too high.
ESPN and the Corporate Mouse is going to be terrible. Two years into their run after they do not see the growth they think they are owed, which they won't get because they only know how to create melodrama rather than real value, they are going to downgrade and cost cut the NHL through the end of the contract.

Reactions: FMichael

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
That’s it for me too. Even though it’s a bigger platform I’m worried in the US about going to ESPN and being their 6th biggest thing, barely talked about or shown. At least with NBC hockey was king.
ESPN will be talking a lot more about hockey now that they own the broadcast for it. They had little reason to cover hockey before when they couldn't generate add revenue for themselves by doing so. Every time they talk about hockey from now on they are essentially advertising for themselves.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Fans have been whining for ESPN for years, well.....be careful what you ask for. I have a sense people's attitudes will change a year from now regarding ESPN & the NHL.

The players wanted back on ESPN as well. Makes sense for any lack of coverage having your sports on ESPN is automatically better than any other sports channel. If someone was to steal the Lionsgate of sports viewing habits than the convo could be different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad