Empty net point leaders?

Slapshot Sultan

Oct 5, 2017
I don't consider empty net scoring as leeching at all. Teams usually employ guys in this role with high end skill that can anticipate plays and track down loose pucks when defending with the other team's goalie pulled. These guys are then players able to clear the zone under pressure and get the puck into a position to score. Preserving wins is an important part of being a successful team.

Yeah, you have to have good players on the ice defending the lead at last minutes and it requires good defence, but I just don't consider the offence in scoring at the net without a goalie that impressive.

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018
uh...OK?

6Thrxnx.jpg

Thornton at #41...79 games, 7 goals, 3 ENGS...damn.

Reactions: MC2D

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I don't consider empty net scoring as leeching at all. Teams usually employ guys in this role with high end skill that can anticipate plays and track down loose pucks when defending with the other team's goalie pulled. These guys are then players able to clear the zone under pressure and get the puck into a position to score. Preserving wins is an important part of being a successful team.
Don’t ever tell Al Iafrate that!
Broston College: A Bro You Should Know - Al Iafrate

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
With regards to stats, and todays ability to get a ton of information, I find it very weird that the NHL or other sites, don't have all these extra stats. There are some good ones out there that have lots, like Hockey-Reference and Quant Hockey, but even though they have lots of stats, the ones like the one discussed here are not on there. Anyone have any good sites I am not aware of?

Quite frankly the NHL is pretty poor in this category and TSN is also pretty blah. Hockey News is decent but could be better.

Reactions: Slapshot Sultan

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Dont know how/where to check, but would anyone be able to see how many Marleau scored last season? felt like half his goals were empty netters.

Slapshot Sultan

Oct 5, 2017
Dont know how/where to check, but would anyone be able to see how many Marleau scored last season? felt like half his goals were empty netters.

Marleau had 5 last season and Grabner led the league with 7. Bure has the record with 9 empty net goals in a season in 99-00.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Wheeler probably has the most Empty Net assists. Him and Scheif are always out late.

One would think Maurice might throw Laine out a game or two (with a two goal lead at least) just to get a freebie.

Francissssss

Feb 27, 2019
2017 2018 crosby 3g 5a 2018 2019 wheeler 2g 6a toews 3g 3a Patrik kane 4g 3a gaudreau 2g 4a connor 4g 2a

Wheeler 2g 5a
Grabner 7g
Staal 6g
Trocheck 5g 2a

Reactions: Slapshot Sultan

Francissssss

Feb 27, 2019
Empty pts total leader 2015 to 2019
Marchand 14g 20a Patrik kane 12g 25a tavares 11g 8a toews 11g 10a seguin 11g 10a wheeler 10g 20a
Eichel 10g 7a crosby 10g 21a aho 9g 6a trocheck 9g 7a panarin 9g 8a scheifele 8g 10a Mcdavid 8g 7a thorthon 8g 5a marchessault 8g 4a
Ovechkin 9g 4a pacioretty 7g 3a laine 7g 2a hyman 7g 2a etc

Reactions: Hint1k and Randyne

Francissssss

Feb 27, 2019
Ovechkin dont play when the opponent ggoalie is pulled Ovechkin 2016 2017 0 empty net pts and just4 %of his goal on empty net Eichel 94g 10g empty net goal tmalkin 390 22 empty net goal ._.

Mar 14, 2011
Iirc most of hymans goals this year have been either empty netters or misplay/broken plays like Hyman shooting it off someone and it going in. Quite comical.
Quote from the wise Babcock, "Zach Hyman, we'd like to have one on each line, but they just don't make them like that."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad