Speculation: Emery re-up close? (EDIT: Signing with PHI)

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 25s
Ray Emery very likely moving on from Chicago, looking for bigger role, chance at 1 or 1a spot. I'd put Philly as front-runner.

When I see it, I'll believe it. The TSN guys have been speculating this since the SC parade, and it does make some sense. The question is: How does Emery feel about it. I think he's pretty comfortable here but we'll see.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Someone will be making a mistake making him a #1a/b goalie and signing him for more than 2mil.

I like Emery, but he isn't that kind of a goalie, he is a solid back-up.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
what hawkaholic said... he is good in a limited role with limited money. As starter, I wouldn't want him

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Ray Emery in PHI; Nathan Horton in CBJ; Ryane Clowe in NJ. But lots of intrigue, shouldn't be long after 12 noon that signings get done.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Nice knowing you Ray, glad to see you move on. Good luck, whatever happens, once you sign on that dotted line, they can't take that money away from you, especially having used both compliance buyouts. Congrats on that.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
18 games is about what a normal back up plays (in a full season) maybe slightly more. Do you think he can play at that level for 50-60 games?

I think Philly is the absolute worst place he could go, both for the coaching they have on defense and their players. Conversely, I think Thomas would be a perfect fit, with the way he battles and his athleticism. But it's about getting paid and he will do that.

Nothingman*

I think Philly is the absolute worst place he could go, both for the coaching they have on defense and their players. Conversely, I think Thomas would be a perfect fit, with the way he battles and his athleticism. But it's about getting paid and he will do that.

I agree with that. Our D and system really helped him get paid this FA season!

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
18 games is about what a normal back up plays (in a full season) maybe slightly more. Do you think he can play at that level for 50-60 games?

I'm sure Ray himself knows ... and his decision will be partly based on that I reckon, but when Mackenzie says he's gone, I listen. He's usually right, but I can't help but think he stays here in the end.
I can see Thomas in Philly ahead of any other goalie. Maybe they'll try to get both of them. Anything Philly does, doesn't surprise me anymore.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC

I think for Emery it's more about challenging for the #1 job than the money.

Chicago could and probably would pay him. There hasn't been a single sign that the brass holds something against him for two years. I'd expect Philly to pay him more, but we'll have to wait and see how big his contract is before we can say how much more.

But the big difference is that in Philly he can fight for the #1 spot, something Chicago can't offer him anymore. If he can still put up strong numbers behind that defense, no one will question him anymore. I think that's what he's really interested in.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Action on Ray Emery. Philly, Isles and Oilers believed to be chasing. Hawks also in discussions to re-sign Emery. Good to have options.#TSN

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 25s
Les Flyers ont fait leur choix devant le filet et ce sera Ray Emery. #JA2013

Translation: Flyers have made their choice for G, and it's Emery.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 19s
The priority for Ray Emery was going somewhere that he could challenge for the No. 1 job. That clearly wasn't going to happen in Chicago.

Nothingman*

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 19s
The priority for Ray Emery was going somewhere that he could challenge for the No. 1 job. That clearly wasn't going to happen in Chicago.

Not enough ham sandwiches for Ray to play in Chi.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Emery is gone, he proved me wrong but playing for the Flyers and their D against Crosby, Tavares and guys like that... for a 1 year contract. Not sure if this is good for him

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Doesn't seem like much for Ray to go there. But if he wanted to have a shot at #1G, then this is the best team he could sign with. NYI and EDM aren't winning the Cup. If he plays well and gives Philly some goaltending, they could be a contender again. If Giroux boucnes back and they get more scoring, they are back as a Cup threat.

So I can see his thinking easily Philly over NYI and Edm.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Emery is gone, he proved me wrong but playing for the Flyers and their D against Crosby, Tavares and guys like that... for a 1 year contract. Not sure if this is good for him

Me neither. I though his best move was to stay put, so I assume he feels healthy enough to take a heavier workload.

I'll miss that calm demeanor and team first attitude you had here.

All the best in Philly Ray!!

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Good luck to Razor. Supported him on this team since day 1 and sad to see him go. Let's hope our next back up is as good as Razor was.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Greg Stewart ‏@the300level
Ray Emery on TSN right now says "it's no secret Corey Crawford will be there long term" as one reason for leaving.

Again, Chicago could no longer offer him what he wanted. Not money, but the chance to be a #1 goalie.

Gotta love a guy who picks a challenge over an easy paycheck. All the best in Philly, Razor. It was great to have you in Chicago.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00