Speculation: Emery re-up close? (EDIT: Signing with PHI)

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20130702_Goaltending_on_Holmgren_s_free-agent_list.html

There's a very good chance Ray Emery, who many believe is the Flyers' No. 1 choice to work in tandem with Steve Mason next season, will soon re-sign with the Cup-champion Blackhawks to avoid hitting the market. Emery's agent, J.P. Barry, met with the Blackhawks on Sunday night after the draft to discuss Emery. Terms of a deal had not been agreed upon yesterday, but the two sides are pretty confident that Emery can remain Corey Crawford's backup next season. Teams can begin negotiating with free agents beginning tomorrow at noon. Contracts are not allowed to be signed until Friday at noon, when free agency officially opens. Emery, 30, was an astounding 17-1-0 with Chicago. The common thinking was that he'd be more interested in a raise from the $1.5 million he earned last season to compete for a starting job elsewhere. Apparently, capturing the Stanley Cup while playing a significant share of the games is enough to stay. Flyers management is now operating under the assumption that Emery will re-sign.

Certainly hoping it happens. Raanta needs starts, would rather have him playing in RFD.

Last edited by a moderator:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't cost the Hawks more than $1.4 mil

I doubt he takes a pay reduction, but yeah, that would be fine. More likely, it is 2M and restricts any additions to the roster (unless we trade Leddy).

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Not surprised since Raanta has a two way, but wanted to see him as the backup next year

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I doubt he takes a pay reduction, but yeah, that would be fine. More likely, it is 2M and restricts any additions to the roster (unless we trade Leddy).

Say he gets a 2 years $2 mil per deal. That'd leave the Hawks with $3.8 mil in cap space to acquire a vet 5th/6th defenseman and a vet 3rd/4th line center.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Say he gets a 2 years $2 mil per deal. That'd leave the Hawks with $3.8 mil in cap space to acquire a vet 5th/6th defenseman and a vet 3rd/4th line center.

Without knowing the Leddy and Kruger deals, who knows how much will be left.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
If they do give Emery a multi-year deal, wonder if we'll be seeing Raanta/Emery in 2014-2015.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Depends on the price. I like the idea. I think Raanta would still see some time with the big team.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Hard to argue with results, but I'd rather see what we've got in Raanta.

I agree. The other option is sign him, see how Raanta performs in Rockford, then trade Emery after he has a few good starts. I'm not really a fan of screwing him over like that, but it makes business sense.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Rockford blows and Raanta's numbers will not be impressive. He'll probably go back and have another Earth shattering season, like Salak. I hope it doesn't happen again but it just did.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Rockford blows and Raanta's numbers will not be impressive. He'll probably go back and have another Earth shattering season, like Salak. I hope it doesn't happen again but it just did.

Lighting up Europe doesn't mean a goalie is going to be great in the NHL. Salak has been in the AHL twice, in Rochester and Rockford, posted a .910 and .903 save% and in the NHL once .850. His year before going to Rochester .923, his year after Rochester .926, his year after Rockford .939. There's nothing to suggest he can survive in top north american leagues.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
If they were planning on trying to bring Emery back, I'd expect that they told Raanta before they signed him. I think he knew what he was getting into.

I want to see what we have in Raanta at the NHL level, but this really doesn't spell the end of him in Chicago like people seem to be saying.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I'm thinking that Emery is smart enough to know where he belongs. Staying put is a good gig - the solid defensive game in front of him could prolong his career. Going to Philly may get him more moola in the short term but with their less than stellar defense and shabby record with their goalies, he could easily be out of the league before long.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
If they were planning on trying to bring Emery back, I'd expect that they told Raanta before they signed him. I think he knew what he was getting into.

I want to see what we have in Raanta at the NHL level, but this really doesn't spell the end of him in Chicago like people seem to be saying.

I thought I read Raanta say he wants to go to the minors and fight for his place, and that he never expected to be with the big club from day 1, anyway.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Great.

That's exactly the attitude you love to see in prospects. People who want nothing given, everything earned.

That's enough to say this will probably be nothing like Salak, who came into the organization thinking he had already*been given the backup job. There were probably some mitigating factors contributing to his stress (i.e. injuries, new father). But at the end of the day, Salak's problems with the Hawks were that he didn't want to earn the backup job, he believed he should already have it.

If Raanta is coming in willing to fight his way to the top, that's enough to say he'll be nothing like Salak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad