Player Discussion Emerson Etem

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I said it during the last gameday thread. The guy gets basically nothing done on the ice. He's not long for this organization. I find it difficult to believe there wasn't a better offer out there for Hags.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I thought Etem has played well the last few games, tbh.

Hoping to see more of him. Doesn't seem like he's found good chemistry with some line yet.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
etem is brutal. zero hockey iq. he is the new enver lisin.

watch him closely, you see someone who doesnt understand what he's doing and why he's not doing it.

hes on the complete other side of the planet from zuc.

as a 4th liner, hes fine. any where else in the lineup, he's brutal.

he's exactly the same guy he was in socal.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Etem, Miller, and Kreider (and even Fast to an extent) all look like they are suffering from the same problems. They are physically gifted but look lost in pretty much every zone.

Before we get into the "they are all dumb!" argument, you don't have to have a high "hockey IQ" to be an effective forechecker or puck cycler.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Maybe he just is who he is.

When i watched a 2 part spotlight series on him he acted like a completely different person, light-hearted, fun, smiling, energetic. I don't see any of it since he came to NY which is why I mentioned it in my post. Its weird.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Etem is at a crossroads and he probably knows it. He's a proven AHL scorer who hasn't found a niche at the NHL level. He's got vets he can't beat out, similarly aged players passing him, and younger players on his heels.

If he doesn't figure out his role, he's going to drift into 4A, journeyman, European pro territory.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I figured I'd bump this thread since we keep using the Hags/Etem trade thread to talk about him.

His play has been steadily improving and he's growing more confident with the puck. I'd love to see him get some time with Nash and Stepan.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I thought he played well enough to get a few more games. He's never going to be a Top-6 guy unless he is a late bloomer, but a 3rd line version of Bobby Ryan seems about right, if that makes sense. Decent hands, speed, and will make the occasional highlight reel play, but maddeningly inconsistent and always leaves you feeling like he should do more.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
As long as Glass is in the line-up, there is no harm in continuing to play this kid to see what they have. There's really no one contending for his roster spot who deserves a shot over him. He's been much better than the start of the season, and I doubt it is coincidental that it's around the time he's been consistently getting ice time, even if only on the 4th line. I'd like to see him get an extended look on the third or second line. If they can keep sending out Grand Master Doofus, Kevin Hayes, there is no reason not to give Etem more ice time.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
As long as Glass is in the line-up, there is no harm in continuing to play this kid to see what they have. There's really no one contending for his roster spot who deserves a shot over him. He's been much better than the start of the season, and I doubt it is coincidental that it's around the time he's been consistently getting ice time, even if only on the 4th line. I'd like to see him get an extended look on the third or second line. If they can keep sending out Grand Master Doofus, Kevin Hayes, there is no reason not to give Etem more ice time.

I'd agree... if anything he should eventually be able to grow into a 3W/2W spot with Hayes for 2nd line ice time (I don't feel Hayes will ever be a legitimate Stamkos-like 1C, but definitely an amazing 2C).

Miller definitely has more potential and is a more all-around player. That's the guy who's going to be the other 2W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad