Value of: Emelin to Calgary ?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
If Emelin wasn't signed for next year at that cap hit I would be more interested, if we could swap cap anyways.

But as it stands, Stajan is our only "bad" contract signed past this year.

mhstudios

May 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Cgy - mtl

To Calgary

Alexi Emelin (1.1 mil retained) 3 mil for 2 years

To Montreal

3rd Rounder 2017

Why Calgary does this?

Lucic vs Emelin lol. bring back the good ole Rivalry of the battle of Alberta. Also they get a LHD at 3 million which makes him valuable. He is still a 2nd pairing dman in this league.

Why Montreal does this?

They get 3 million off the books and get a pick for it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Nope, we aren't moving Ferland. There's actually no room for Smid on our roster and we already need to move Wideman out.

I'd be tempted to do Wideman for Emelin, but I don't know how I feel about it.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
$14,969,601
PROJECTED CAP SPACE

Sean Monahan C 21 RFA
Johnny Gaudreau LW 22 RFA

how

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Wouldn't be opposed to this. If Habs are retaining, I'd do a third in 2017 and a third in 2018.

But getting a third rounder in 2017 is good currency for future trades. In 2017, Habs have a first rounder, 2 seconds, and with this trade, would have 2 thirds. In 2018, Habs have a first, 3 seconds, and with this trade would have 2 thirds.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Is Emelin a cap dump at this point?

Nah, he's not a 'cap dump', at least not on his own. In fact, trading Emelin right now would hurt our defense this year, as he's our only physical defenseman playing left. So one could debate that he's not even expandable.

The reason why you may see Emelin's name being brought up a lot is...

a) Most feel the Habs should pair Weber with a puck-moving LD, and while Nathan Beaulieu could fit that description, many believe he's not 1st pair material. However, the Habs can't really afford to add another LD before moving one out first.

b) While Emelin could probably be useful in our defense next year (depending on Markov's return or not), most feel Sergachev will be ready to jump in the NHL, leaving little to no room for Emelin.

Si his status in Montreal is very different than say David Desharnais, who most believe is not only expandable, but also could be seen as a cap dump given his caphit and role, not only within the organization, but where ever he may land.

What are you talking about ? You just linked this thread. ;)

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Engelland+ 3rd

For Emelin?

I think Emelin would be a good compliment to Dougie Hamilton.

That would be worth considering. Would be an immediate downgrade for us but would free up 1.2M this year and 4.1M next year, plus we get a 3rd. Engelland would slot in as our #7. Maybe I'm over-valuing cap space though.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
That would be worth considering. Would be an immediate downgrade for us but would free up 1.2M this year and 4.1M next year, plus we get a 3rd. Engelland would slot in as our #7. Maybe I'm over-valuing cap space though.

I kinda agree with you there. Wouldn't say it's a sure yes, but that's something I would be okay working around with. But only if management really thinks Sergachev is a lock for next year. Otherwise, I would pass..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad