News: Elvis Merzlikins requests trade

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I wouldn't mind if it's Kahkonen over Blackwood but the money formula changes if that's the case which adjusts the ask a bit due to Blackwood's extra year. If it's Kahkonen instead of Blackwood, I would either ask for an additional 3rd round pick or ask that that conditional ask for Duclair become an unconditional 2nd.

That’s fair. Honestly I’m probably 50/50 on those goalies, so either deal would work for the Oilers as all we are looking for is a 1B/backup type to Skinner. Personally I’d do it, and i think a lot of Oilers fans would too.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Because context doesn’t matter…

CBJ is:
2nd worst in xGA
6th worst in HDCA
4th worst in SCA
3th worst in MDCA
3th worst in LDCA

Oilers are not even close to leaking as much chances against as Columbus is, there is literally no way to think that Elvis has been as bad as Campbell has been, simply watching how other Columbus goalies have done would tell you that.

I don’t think anyone thinks Elvis is a elite goaltender, but he is better than what many teams in the league have.
Those are career numbers. Believe it or not, CBJ has actually been ok a couple times in their history.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I find Merzlikins is not a likeable character. Would imagine his philosophizing and Patrick Roy sized ego to take up a lot of oxygen in a room.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If you want to take context or rational thought out of it sure. I mean there is a number of top tier goalies on better teams he has a higher save % than but that probably doesnt matter eh?
Career numbers, not this season's numbers.
But glad you are happy with Elvis. Enjoy.

Last edited:

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Not likely,
He's gotta be a buyout this summer right?
hes been an above an above average starter this year. I think everybody criti izing and mocking his gripes about playing time is only remembering his disasterous season last year. Hes been far better than the giy he was getting benched for and been above league average save percentage while the other 2 goalies cant hold a .890

Now he isnt worth the 5.4 cap hit but if columbus retained half thwy could easily trade him at 2.7

Terrible stats
Terrible stats.
Terrible contract.
Worse attitude..

Good luck with that

Terrible stats? His sv% has been above league average and his gsaa at average while the other 2 goalies on his team ha e gptten lit up and struggled to hold .890 sv%. He has every right to be upset that he was playing as a decent starter then suddenly gets healthy scratched for 2 guys that did not earn it at all.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Those are career numbers. Believe it or not, CBJ has actually been ok a couple times in their history.
They finished 14th in his rookie season, he had SV% of .923. Since then they’ve finished:
-28th
-21st
-31st

Theirs shots against finishes:
22-23: 2nd most SA
21-22: 2nd most SA
20-21: 4th most SA

So at what point in his career have they been ”OK”?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
They finished 14th in his rookie season, he had SV% of .923. Since then they’ve finished:
-28th
-21st
-31st

Theirs shots against finishes:
22-23: 2nd most SA
21-22: 2nd most SA
20-21: 4th most SA

So at what point in his career have they been ”OK”?
In 22-23 their expected goals against was 4th worst at 3.47, Merzikins' GAA was 4.31. His personal xGA that season was 3.11

In 21-22 their xGA was 5th worst at 3.19. Merzlikins xGA was 3.11, his actual GAA was 3.22

In 20-21 their xGA was 12th worst, Merzlikins's xGA was 2.48 and his actual GAA was 2.77

Every year Merzlikins' has underperformed.

In 20-21 Campbell's xGA was 2.29 his actual GAA was 2.15
In 21-22 his xGA was 2.5, his actual GAA was 2.64
In 22-23 his xGA was 2.76 his actual GAA was 3.41

Merzlikins underformed all 3 years, Campbell did 2x.

Merlikins' worst year in those 3 was worst than Campbell's worst year. Look both guys suck, no doubt. Just thought I'd give you some context.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He can request a trade all he wants, but the market for backup caliber netminders with significant term remaining at solid $5.4M starter type money is slim to none. I'd bet Columbus would like for him to just leave too...but it doesn't work that way, and they're stuck with his contract unless they can find something equally offensive to swap it for.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
With his cap hit, I'd bet he doesn't get picked up.
picking up is not the point. The point is to shut him up... He is making a lot of moeny on team that did everything for THAT contract to make him happy and now he is demanding a trade. lol..
I am not even a Jackets fan but I hate to see things like that especially when player is not performing..
I'd send him to minors too for conditioning purposes AFTER he clears waivers, to clear his head while on bus for 2-3 games.

Reactions: hirawl

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Only chance the CBJs can dump his contract is to put him on re-entry waivers. Maybe a desperate rolls the takes him for half his cap. Otherwise they would need to take a bad long term contract.
What year is it lol

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Omg. f***in clown show over there in Columbus man. Jarmo’s games are f***ed.

You know what this means? Jarmo and his master plan of moving Elvis and 5.4M had no takers. So they are just cancelling the whole idea now.

Maybe Jarmo will play Elvis like a man now and stop hiding him.

• Haha
Reactions: Malaka

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
More like the price to dump Blackwood is a SJ 3rd or a 4th.

The price to dump Campbell is 1st++ so Campbell with some retention +1st for Blackwood is not too far off.

Lol @ Blackwood being the answer in Edmonton.

He will easily clear waivers.

You think? I dunno about that. There are a lot of teams looking for goaltending and I think his numbers are bad because of the sharks being the worst team in the league. Blackwood would be a decent back up on a good team. At least that is my take on him.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
After his performance tonight, I do not think he is getting much interest lol
I don't know about that. From my view at least 2 of the 4 NJ goals were attributable to terrible defensive play and allowing wide open tap-ins, but some are going to blame Elvis no matter what. He has earned criticism at times but I don't think this game was "Exhibit A."

Reactions: majormajor

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It would be a great opportunity to do a Merzlikins/Campbell trade.

Edmonton:
Elvis Merzlikins

Columbus:
Jack Campbell
Philip Broberg
?Draft Pick?

I think it'll be the test on if Jack Campbell is more of a coach-friendly goaltender because I still do think he's good, but would love this to be the opportunity to be proven wrong or right amongst all of us.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
This guy isn't like a bondafide number 1 guy.... you're getting paid to back up on a team no one expects anything out of since Johnny sucks now...

Collect your checks and relax? no ones trading for a non top 10 goalie at that salary.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That's my thought. You guys gotta be a  least interested.

I fully believe Iliya Samsonov is the reason they aren't at least tied for top spot in the Atlantic.

Samsonov alone has cost them at least 12 points.

They NEED a goaltender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad