Recalled/Assigned: Elmer sent to GR

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
He is better than any other else from latest games.

Team Best at on-ice GF% and best at xGF%. (last 10 games)

He was just right, but we went on tank mode.

View attachment 632346

It's just obvious if Yzerman is sending our most effective offensive player to farm system. He doesn't need anything to be developed there, everything was developing well at NHL level.
He can play 20 min a game there and be go to guy. The wings can't afford it in the NHL.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Why can't the Wings afford that in the NHL?
20 min?

I think people neglect the fact you can't get back the players you get rid of while you can do it with prospects you can sent down and the injuries happen which makes it impossible to ice the best roster for the all 82 seasons.
If Yzerman could send down some other players he would do it, but he can't.
The development is not linear either as we see right now with Seider and Raymond.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
And that's different from a lot of our season how?
We lost to Panthers 3 to 2, but we won 2 to 1 even strength. Special units 1 for 5 or was it 7 and 2 for 3.
We kept the Leafs to 2 shots at their barn.

I think with the kids it would be much uglier and I think it would hurt their development.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Hmm... been said already but looks like a tank move. Idk, just my opinion from the outside looking in. :dunno:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
We lost to Panthers 3 to 2, but we won 2 to 1 even strength. Special units 1 for 5 or was it 7 and 2 for 3.
We kept the Leafs to 2 shots at their barn.

I think with the kids it would be much uglier and I think it would hurt their development.
Well, I hope Elmer has his big boy pants on for his trip to GR...

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
No excuses for the Griffins not to fill the nets now…
Czarnik
Vrana
Soderblom
Chiasson
Hirose
L’Esperance
Andreasson
Hanas
Criscuolo

A lot of offensive forwards who have scored at AHL level or should score at AHL level.

Hope Soderblom takes the demotion is stride and keeps his head up.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
No excuses for the Griffins not to fill the nets now…
Czarnik
Vrana
Soderblom
Chiasson
Hirose
L’Esperance
Andreasson
Hanas
Criscuolo

A lot of offensive forwards who have scored at AHL level or should score at AHL level.

Hope Soderblom takes the demotion is stride and keeps his head up.

Ben Simon: “Hold my beer!”

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1673286067825.png

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Teams will almost always send the non waiver guy down before the waiver eligible guys. This isn't anything new, teams don't want to risk losing guys for nothing, just cause the fans say someone has no value. Guys like Erne, Suter and Zadina still have value regardless what we fans say.

Also, a young guy getting sent down doesn't affect their ability to perform when they come back up. That is a silly made up internet thing.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
No issues with Soderblom down. He can grow a lot down there still. He got a good feel of the NHL game and now he can go down and get dialed in and look to be fulltime next season. Berggren on the other hand, there is no excuse to send him down, if they do because of his eligibility than that is pure mismanagement.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No issues with Soderblom down. He can grow a lot down there still. He got a good feel of the NHL game and now he can go down and get dialed in and look to be fulltime next season. Berggren on the other hand, there is no excuse to send him down, if they do because of his eligibility than that is pure mismanagement.

And lets say they waive Erne and Zadina (for example) to make room for Soderblom and Berggren. Say both get claimed, what happens when we get another couple of injuries? Now we have 2 less NHL players to fill those holes, which is exactly why NHL GMs hang on to their waiver eligible guys. Injuries will continue to happen, if you just waive others so the kids can stay up, you will run yourself short on depth. Czarnik level players being full time guys is how you end up being real bad and less options.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
And lets say they waive Erne and Zadina (for example) to make room for Soderblom and Berggren. Say both get claimed, what happens when we get another couple of injuries? Now we have 2 less NHL players to fill those holes, which is exactly why NHL GMs hang on to their waiver eligible guys. Injuries will continue to happen, if you just waive others so the kids can stay up, you will run yourself short on depth. Czarnik level players being full time guys is how you end up being real bad and less options.

I understand the importance of having depth. But you don't send down Berggren if that is even what your suggesting. Berggren improves the team and his development is important to the success of this franchise going forward. Why didn't Toronto keep Austin Matthew's while he was a rookie in the AHL so they could have that depth? Because that would be stupid, now Berggren is obviously no Matthew's, but the same type of argument can be applied here. He is way to good to be considered and used as waiver eligible depth. It hurts the team more to send him down than it benefits the team to have him for injury depth. Soderblom sure, his impact isn't enough to justify waiving a roster guy and losing the depth. Especially considering there is so much for Soderblom to gain in the AHL this season.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
He looks great in just about every stat?
I mean, I'm not trying to hate on the guy, I think he's better off in GR right now, but I like him as a young player. But, a stat that shows he's comparable to Hughes, Caufield, Cozens, and Zegras as long as you:
Make it per 60
only at 5 on 5
only include this year
only include players drafted in 2019

Maybe open up the guardrails a bit to look at stats? This seems like how you convince yourself Athanasiou is one of the best players in the league

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I mean, I'm not trying to hate on the guy, I think he's better off in GR right now, but I like him as a young player. But, a stat that shows he's comparable to Hughes, Caufield, Cozens, and Zegras as long as you:
Make it per 60
only at 5 on 5
only include this year

Maybe open up the guardrails a bit to look at stats? This seems like how you convince yourself Athanasiou is one of the best players in the league

5 on 5 makes it more even, because Söderblom is not gettin PP time.

It would be unfair comparison with PP time.

Same with ice-time, going /60. History has proven that players with high points per low-icetimes, usually become also best producers with bigger ice-time.

Söderblom has been talk as slow developer. Think he has been quite fast developed guy in Sweden, because so many great names are behind. If somebody is our next low-round gem, it's him.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Make it per 60
only at 5 on 5
only include this year

Per/60 stats are normally 5v5 only. Not a new thing.
Why should we look at Elmer Söderblom NHL stats from any other year than this one?
And he was drafted in 2019 so makes sense to compare him with that group of players.

He's doing great as a 6th round pick. Don't think anyone believes he's comparable to Hughes, Caufield, Cozens or Zegras.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad