Elliotte Friedman's Tough Week

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
I don't see how any of this speculation is wrong. AV COULD have been a fit in Florida. Maybe Botteril didn't want a coaching change but ownership did. If you don't read these as hard fact statements but his perception of how things are going or what might happen then you will be a lot happier.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Always find it funny how triggered people get over insiders. Like how are they hurting your life exactly?

Like Doug MacLean’s saying goes, they’re not telling you that it’s true, they’re just telling you what they’ve heard.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Always find it funny how triggered people get over insiders. Like how are they hurting your life exactly?

Like Doug MacLean’s saying goes, they’re not telling you that it’s true, they’re just telling you what they’ve heard.

Friedman is a good reporter, terrible analyst

Reactions: Irishguy42

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Agreed. Kind of annoying that there is basically Friedman by himself, and then literally everyone else over at TSN.

He's a bit too pro-owners anti-big changes for my liking.

if you listen to his podcast, marek suggests some mid level big changes and he immediately dismisses it

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Friedman is a good reporter, terrible analyst
I think he’s pretty good. He doesn’t get into it like Kypreos or Hrudey because he didn’t play. But I don’t always agree with Nick or Kelly anyway. Elliotte is more of a stat guy anyway and he brings up some good stuff once in a while.

People are ridiculously hard to please. Friedman gets maybe 1 or 2 minutes to talk each intermission out of the 180 minutes of an entire hockey game. I find it so trivial to complain about intermission analysts when the majority of people are grabbing food or hitting the can anyway.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Used to enjoy his insights, but now he is so overexposed and desperate for content that he has to come up with takes that are no better than some of the rumors found here on hfboards.

Here's a couple of beauties from this week's "inside information" that he shares with us.

-Alain Vigneault’s name is popping up, too. If Florida makes a change, that could be a fit.

-My sense is Sabres GM Jason Botterill does not want a coaching change.

31 Thoughts: NHL-backed women's league the 'obvious solution' - Sportsnet.ca

Time for him to do more reporting and less throwing stuff on the wall to see if it sticks.

Could be, isn't definitive.

And maybe Botterill didnt at the time, or was told by higher ups to fire Housely ?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I really dont like Bob that much anymore. Any insight is basically hedged.

"Toronto Maple Leafs are either going to sign William Nylander by Dec 1, or they will trade him, or just let him sit for the year."

:eek:

Bob has been doing that for years. I remember his Insider Report on Nik Antropov and his conclusion that "it will either go one way or the other". Everything goes one way or the other when there are only two options. I remember thinking at the time "that's some real inside information ya got there Bob". LOL

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Bob has been doing that for years. I remember his Insider Report on Nik Antropov and his conclusion that "it will either go one way or the other". Everything goes one way or the other when there are only two options. I remember thinking at the time "that's some real inside information ya got there Bob". LOL

That's why I like him. He doesn't usually have anything sexy to add until something's about to drop.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Used to enjoy his insights, but now he is so overexposed and desperate for content that he has to come up with takes that are no better than some of the rumors found here on hfboards.

Here's a couple of beauties from this week's "inside information" that he shares with us.

-Alain Vigneault’s name is popping up, too. If Florida makes a change, that could be a fit.

Time for him to do more reporting and less throwing stuff on the wall to see if it sticks.

These are professional judgement statements

With Botterill...it was a surprise he fired the coach when it was announced the day before that there would be a presser on Monday with the coach. It’s unknown what happened in 24 hrs for firing to occur.

Most Sabres fans and media thought if coach is fired it may occur the end of this week or early next week after an assessment. Sabres internally..thus was likely a stunner.

Reactions: Curufinwe

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
That's why I like him. He doesn't usually have anything sexy to add until something's about to drop.
What is the point of listening to him then?

I tried listening to his podcast, it was like listening to your old uncle at thanksgiving just go on and on. No presence at all. At least Friedman is entertaining on his podcast and dares to take a stand.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
What is the point of listening to him then?

I tried listening to his podcast, it was like listening to your old uncle at thanksgiving just go on and on. No presence at all. At least Friedman is entertaining on his podcast and dares to take a stand.

I didn't recommend his podcast and I've barely listened to it.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
I didn't recommend his podcast and I've barely listened to it.
No, but it gives the most insight to his person. When Bob reports on something, it is either hedged of all the options, or he reports on something once everybody knows about it/after it has happened. He brings nothing, including entertainment.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is misleading. I listened to his podcast, and from that I thought he made it seem like he thought that Buffalo was going to fire their coach. He didn't say they were. Why would he days before they fired him? If you listened closely though to what he was saying, I thought he made his opinion on that very clear.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
He's right so much more than he's wrong but for whatever reason a small minority of HFboards think he's Eklund and complain anytime one of his thoughts or rumors are posted.

He's still a top 3 insider with Bob and Lebrun. Also who even cares if others listen to an insider?

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I enjoy his 31 thoughts when he quotes players and insiders, which he does frequently.

It's much less interesting when he speculates, because he's no better at it than a good HFer.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

I think you are mistaking Friedman's podcast for another Podcast called "31 Pieces of Verified Inside Information".

There's not much excitement outside of teams gearing up for Playoffs, so I don't exactly know what you want him to do. He's not a "reporter", his podcast is simply that, his thoughts, and musings.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

The funniest thing is when they get triggered by trade rumors they claim Friedman made up entirely, and then the trade happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad