Sportsnet Elliotte Friedman's " 32 Thoughts " Column ( June 2- 2023 )

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
First one of the new season and it's not only not dominated with Leaf news but it actually has some Bruins stuff too........I know - I was surprised too. :laugh:

6. I don’t believe those contracts have much to do with David Pastrnak. This one was going into the stratosphere regardless, and everyone knew it, including the Bruins. He’s not afraid of discussions going on during the season, so those conversations (which have been referred to as “constant”) continue.

Full column: 32 Thoughts: Setting the tone for a brand new NHL season

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Aggressive Donny.

Didn't exchange any numbers while other pending UFAs signed long term deals in July. Some not even on their new teams for more than a few moments.

We are aggressively trying to re-sign Pastrnak, or so they say.

It's only August, plenty of time. But hey we convinced Bergeron and Krejci to save the Bruins.

It's not even training camp, plenty of time. He didn't sign his last extension until training camp, we're fine.

Regular season starts tomorrow, plenty of time. No need to worry, right? Right?!?

What's next?

It's almost Thanksgiving, Pasta loves Boston, he'll get it done?

Christmas is here, he's played.his whole career here, he won't leave?

It's almost trade deadline, it's like he's our own rental! Pastrnak will surely stay after we go on a long deep run.

Playoffs? Tbd.

Far-fetched? At this point I don't even know.

Almost 7 million of Sweeney's last FA spending spree just went unclaimed on waivers days ago.

Our best centers could potentially both be out of the league next year, and definitely by the time whenever Pastrnaks next contract ends.

Don't think Pastrnak is excited to play with Charlie Coyle as his best option.

We have some solid players to not be a bottom feeder, but we definitely aren't built to be up and coming any time soon.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Aggressive Donny.

Didn't exchange any numbers while other pending UFAs signed long term deals in July. Some not even on their new teams for more than a few moments.

We are aggressively trying to re-sign Pastrnak, or so they say.

It's only August, plenty of time. But hey we convinced Bergeron and Krejci to save the Bruins.

It's not even training camp, plenty of time. He didn't sign his last extension until training camp, we're fine.

Regular season starts tomorrow, plenty of time. No need to worry, right? Right?!?

What's next?

It's almost Thanksgiving, Pasta loves Boston, he'll get it done?

Christmas is here, he's played.his whole career here, he won't leave?

It's almost trade deadline, it's like he's our own rental! Pastrnak will surely stay after we go on a long deep run.

Playoffs? Tbd.

Far-fetched? At this point I don't even know.

Almost 7 million of Sweeney's last FA spending spree just went unclaimed on waivers days ago.

Our best centers could potentially both be out of the league next year, and definitely by the time whenever Pastrnaks next contract ends.

Don't think Pastrnak is excited to play with Charlie Coyle as his best option.

We have some solid players to not be a bottom feeder, but we definitely aren't built to be up and coming any time soon.
If it's not about money and (if) they're willing to pay near the top of what a young and almost superstar player wants then it's about something else. He's no fool and he want's his name on the Cup. He may not dislike Sweeney as Fluto said but he's also not going to take his word on it without some kind of assurance. IMHO this is going to be a very tough sell. If it drags on until the Christmas break all bets are off. This isn't Louie Eriksson that they can just call him their "rental" and lose him after the season for nothing (but I'll bet that they will) if they're confronted with that decision.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Just saw that Sportsnet posted another " 32 Thoughts " column a few days ago. Nothing on the Bruins - the biggest news is that Friedman will not be putting out the " 32 Thoughts " column on a regular basis anymore.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
At this point Friedman should change the title of these columns to " NHL Thoughts " or " Hockey Thoughts " because he's not putting out 32 Thoughts any more. Anyway - he actually mentioned the Bruins this time:

12. Courtesy of friend-of-the-blog John Davis: 14 of Boston’s 17 wins are by at least two goals. The Bruins’ goal-differential is plus-40, 11 better than second-place New Jersey. Checking some history, it’s not really going out on a limb to suggest they won’t catch the 1976-77 Montreal Canadiens’ record of plus-216. But in the salary-cap era, the 2005-06 Senators set the standard of plus-107. That Ottawa team is the only cap-era club in the top 30 all-time, right at No. 30.

Full column: www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-coyotes-healthy-chychrun-ready-to-showcase-for-potential-trade/

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Another column posted today but once again no mention of the team with the best overall record. Pssssttt Elliotte - it's the Bruins. :shakehead

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
At this point Friedman should change the title of these columns to " NHL Thoughts " or " Hockey Thoughts " because he's not putting out 32 Thoughts any more. Anyway - he actually mentioned the Bruins this time:

12. Courtesy of friend-of-the-blog John Davis: 14 of Boston’s 17 wins are by at least two goals. The Bruins’ goal-differential is plus-40, 11 better than second-place New Jersey. Checking some history, it’s not really going out on a limb to suggest they won’t catch the 1976-77 Montreal Canadiens’ record of plus-216. But in the salary-cap era, the 2005-06 Senators set the standard of plus-107. That Ottawa team is the only cap-era club in the top 30 all-time, right at No. 30.

Full column: www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-coyotes-healthy-chychrun-ready-to-showcase-for-potential-trade/
I'm surprised that he still calls it 32 Thoughts, as well. He announced a week or so ago on NHL Network Radio that he wasn't going to do the column anymore because he could never make the weekly deadline with all of the commitments he has.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Another new column this week and the Bruins ( well at least the 1991-92 team ) are actually mentioned:

7. In Wednesday’s 4-0 loss to Boston, Cal Burke became the 23rd forward to dress for the Avalanche in 2022-23. That’s the same number of forwards they used all of last season. According to the great people at Sportsnet Stats, the NHL record for most forwards used in one year is 38 — by the 1991-92 Bruins. The list: Scott Arniel, Brent Ashton, Ralph Barahona, Andy Brickley, John Byce, Lyndon Byers, Bob Carpenter, Lou Crawford, Brian Dobbin, Clark Donatelli, Ted Donato, Peter Douris, Matt Glennon, Steve Heinze, Ken Hodge, Brent Hughes, Craig Janney, Joe Juneau, Jeff Lazaro, Stephen Leach, Nevin Markwart, Glen Murray, Cam Neely, Chris Nilan, Adam Oates, Barry Pederson, Dave Poulin, Dave Reid, Vladimir Ruzicka, Petri Skriko, Shayne Stevenson, Allan Stewart, Jozef Stumpel, Bob Sweeney, Dave Thomlinson, Jim Vesey, Wes Walz and Chris Winnes.

Lots of names on that list I haven't thought about in a very long time. Never thought I would see a Ralph Barahona reference in 2022. :laugh: I am drawing a complete blank on Matt Glennon though. :huh:

Full column: 32 Thoughts: Canucks' Boeser, Horvat trending toward being trade candidates

Reactions: RustyBruins72

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Another new column this week and the Bruins ( well at least the 1991-92 team ) are actually mentioned:

7. In Wednesday’s 4-0 loss to Boston, Cal Burke became the 23rd forward to dress for the Avalanche in 2022-23. That’s the same number of forwards they used all of last season. According to the great people at Sportsnet Stats, the NHL record for most forwards used in one year is 38 — by the 1991-92 Bruins. The list: Scott Arniel, Brent Ashton, Ralph Barahona, Andy Brickley, John Byce, Lyndon Byers, Bob Carpenter, Lou Crawford, Brian Dobbin, Clark Donatelli, Ted Donato, Peter Douris, Matt Glennon, Steve Heinze, Ken Hodge, Brent Hughes, Craig Janney, Joe Juneau, Jeff Lazaro, Stephen Leach, Nevin Markwart, Glen Murray, Cam Neely, Chris Nilan, Adam Oates, Barry Pederson, Dave Poulin, Dave Reid, Vladimir Ruzicka, Petri Skriko, Shayne Stevenson, Allan Stewart, Jozef Stumpel, Bob Sweeney, Dave Thomlinson, Jim Vesey, Wes Walz and Chris Winnes.

Lots of names on that list I haven't thought about in a very long time. Never thought I would see a Ralph Barahona reference in 2022. :laugh: I am drawing a complete blank on Matt Glennon though. :huh:

Full column: 32 Thoughts: Canucks' Boeser, Horvat trending toward being trade candidates
A truly wild season.

The Bruins also used about 13 defensemen and 4 goalies that year. Unbelievable that Bowness got them to the conference final with no Neely and with Bourque playing injured...and then Rick got canned for his efforts.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Another column posted today but once again no mention of the team with the best overall record. Pssssttt Elliotte - it's the Bruins. :shakehead

Really. Who cares what Friedman thinks, or even writes about?

Predictably, he plays strictly to the Canadian market. No great shakes in my book.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad