Speculation: Elliotte Friedman: Rumblings of offer sheet to Zach Bogosian

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
When it comes from Elliotte Friedman (very well connected), I begin to listen, and worry, just a bit.

@FAN960Jason: Friedman: "I've heard rumblings on offer sheets to Bogosian, Pietrangelo. Curious to see if offer sheets end up being a factor." #NHL

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Not too worried. He has to sign it first. If it's reasonable, the Jets will match. If not, then we'll have a good number of 1st round picks coming back. Term can only be max 7 years, and its more difficult to insert poison pills as per the Weber offer sheet.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Very interesting game of poker the GM's have to play!

I am guessing a few GM's are holding back to see if the comps are going to be lower given the constraints of the new salary cap but you do risk the offer sheet play by another GM. I see Pietranglo as a prime target that a team would open the vault for and Bogo a step down from that obviously. Nice that we have some shelter from a new and better CBA.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Ya, i'm not overly worried. As you say, Bogosian would have to sign it, and I have long thought his loyalty and like for Winnipeg would potentially stop him from signing an offer sheet that was beyond crazy, which would speak volumes. Zach is that type of person, in my opinion.

I would not however like to be stuck paying him way above and beyond his worth, which could cause a ripple effect down the budget. However, I wouldn't want to lose him, either.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Bob McKenzie touches on offer sheets,

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Another interesting angle: will there be offer sheets on RFAs. With cap going down, inability to hide $ in minors, teams may be vulnerable.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Bryan Little too? Dreger mentions him. I highly doubt it, though.

@DarrenDreger: @TSNBobMcKenzie. Already talk of offer sheets among teams with space. Pietrangelo, Bogosian, Little, Bailey, Henrique, Hamonic...

MrWigglez

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Little could be interesting, I'm more interested in that one than I am bogo (because unless bogo signs some insane offer from somewhere else the Jets will match).

Seems like most attempts at offer sheets have been with really big name players, I'd be interested to see what the offer sheet would be for a guy like Little, and I would be interested to see what the Jets did.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
It'd have to be a super crazy offer sheet for Chevy to not match it. Without Bogo our top 4 is beyond pitiful, especially if Enstrom keeps getting injured.

I'm not too worried about losing him.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
We almost have to match any Little offer. Burmi is unknown at this point and Shiefele is unproven. Can't roll with Jokinen, Slater, and a FA you pick up. Unless you want to overpay for a top 6 guy, in which case you might as well match the offer for Little. I doubt Little gets an offer sheet though.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
The PPP guys were talking about low $ offer sheet.

For example:

If a team wanted Bernier as their starting goalie, they could offer him $3MM a year for 2 years and they would only need to forfeit a 2nd round pick. $3MM a year could be hard for Toronto to justify on a backup.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Jets still need to ice a team a 2017 team doesn't do that for nearly a decade

All depends on the cap hit. If the cap hit is higher than his worth as a shut down defense, that's when you'd look at taking the 4 first rounders.

No sure thing, but you have to consider it.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Winnipeg is one of thirty teams in the best hockey league in the world.

When you play with the big boys you have to be prepared this.

Any offer for Bogosian will be matched, just like Weber in Nashville.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
One of those tweets listed 6 players.... Give me a break. How many offer sheets are ever given out? Maybe one an offseason if that.

Reasons for thinking your offer sheet will be successful:
1) Long drawn out contract dispute. See O'Reily last season. Still matched.
2) Construct it in a financial way that the other team won't be able to financially or cap wise match. See Weber. Still matched.

Number 1 is far away. Number 2 is for one thing difficult this offseason cause the teams who throw money around are most of the ones close to the cap already. Also, the Jets are not in financial straits unable to match anything. I see no reason to be worried any Jet is getting an offer sheet anytime soon

White Out 403*

If it means picking up a 2015 1st rounder it's with it just for the extra chance at McDavid

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I wonder if Bogosian/Little would even agree to an offer sheet. True North treats their players right, and I'm sure they're not THAT far off term and money wise.

Last year Subban said he wouldn't sign an offer sheet. O'Reilly also said he wouldn't sign an offer sheet.... until he sat out half the year, got screwed around by the team and eventually agreed to one. I wonder how much loyalty Bogosian and Little have.

If they do agree to an offer sheet, I have no doubt they will be matched. I'm more concerned about our cap hit being run up.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Anyone who imagines that our ownership is going to be intimidated by any other team's offer sheets knows nothing about the Thompson family. They did not get to be one of the country's top business families by being bent over by aggressive maneuvers. They will not only match but they will wait for the optimal time to reciprocate. You heard it here first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad