News Article: Elliotte Friedman: "30 Thoughts..." Column, Full of Sabre Tidbits

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Well then... nevermind :biglaugh:

I'll say it's Colorado. What's the deal?? Do we dare ask for Mackinnon?? I know we don't need D-men, but Duncan Siemens would be a nice get.

If we ask for MacKinnon the Avalanche GM would probably hop on a plane to Buffalo and sprint to FNC (without stopping) just to punch Reiger in the face.

Last edited:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
If we ask for MacKinnon, Patrick Roy is going to take the Stanley Cup rings out of his ears just to shove them up Darcy's poo shoot.

Ghost of Dale Hunter

Feb 27, 2003
Buffalo
Visit site
30. Interesting side note of commissioner Gary Bettman's Patrick Kaleta ruling: the NHLPA requested, and received, all correspondence (email or otherwise) relating to the incident. Pretty soon, the NHL is going to go to smoke signals and sign language.

Paste, this really isn't news. This type of request is standard in information requests made during administrative appeals. They are usually looking for mitigating factors and for evidence that people above the deciding official or with no party to the issue are attempting to influence the proposed/imposed discipline in violation of due process.

for instance, if they found correspondence where Bettman directed Shanahan to "hammer" Kaleta, that would be a violation as he should not be part of the process at that point and would also compromise his impartiality in the appeal/review. I am sure the league lawyers/HR staff advises them to keep opinions off the email.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think the best offer we'd get from Colorado is Stefan Elliott + 2nd rounder. Colorado has always seemed to be of the mind that Tyson Barrie and Elliott are redundant, and, after seemingly vacillating over which they prefer, it seems they've finally settled on Barrie.

We have plenty of defensemen, especially on the right side, but Elliott could be a PPQB, and I'm not sure we have that in our system outside of JGL, and there's no guarantee that he's anything more than Gragnani 2.0. As recently as a year ago, Elliott was well-regarded. It may be worth the flyer.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think the best offer we'd get from Colorado is Stefan Elliott + 2nd rounder. Colorado has always seemed to be of the mind that Tyson Barrie and Elliott are redundant, and, after seemingly vacillating over which they prefer, it seems they've finally settled on Barrie.

We have plenty of defensemen, especially on the right side, but Elliott could be a PPQB, and I'm not sure we have that in our system outside of JGL, and there's no guarantee that he's anything more than Gragnani 2.0. As recently as a year ago, Elliott was well-regarded. It may be worth the flyer.

We already have McBain. Give me another pick instead, because I'd much rather take a flyer on our scouting staff.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

I would do that deal in a heartbeat, but I don't see why Colorado makes a move for a goalie unless the Varly situation drags on.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Here's the link to the 30 thoughts:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...want-teams-to-pay-for-players-violations.html

You missed this:

7. This could be a pure fluke, but the Jets had three scouts at Vanek's last game in Buffalo -- Mark Dobson (who is their director of pro scouting), Peter Ratchuk and Pierre Groulx. Groulx, Montreal's former goaltending coach, is working for them on a consulting basis while spending two weeks a month with Munich Red Bull of the German League.

I don't see the Jets having interest in Vanek, but Miller I could see. Rumors are we're on his no trade list, but even if it's not Miller who else? Maybe revisiting a Stafford trade?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Darcy not receiving any offers for Miller is troubling.. Will he walk?

Darcy told teams to hold off on talking trade during the summer. Im sure now teams are starting to talk to him.

IMO it's a pretty poor assumption on his part that Darcy would have required the same return for Miller. I just can't see that being the case, and if it is you have to think it's a big mistake on Darcy's part. Getting a 1st straight up for Miller would be a win at the deadline.

Darcy wants to get the max value---but I dont see him getting a Vanek return unless a cup contending team loses their starting goalie for the season in January (Quick, MAF, Crawford, Rhinne, Luongo, etc.)

True enough -- my assumption has been that he'll get a 2nd and some sort of contract for Miller and more than that would be a big win.

Granted, the Blues angle coming up again makes me wonder if they could get the Blues 1st this year since it is viewed as a shallower draft than last year or next AND the Blues have such a stocked pipeline.

I think he will get a 2nd + decent prospect for Miller at 50%. If he has to take a cap dump as well then the quality of the prospect increases or the pick becomes a 1st. The pick also likely has some conditions on it based on team making/advancing in the playoffs that turn it into a 1st.

Anyone else think the first line might be as good, if not better without Vanek?

I don't just say this because of moulson's two goals, but Hodgson's comment reminded me of something I thought earlier.

Vanek seems to want the puck over the blue-line and have a play be set up for him, which isn't a bad thing, but on a young team I feel like guys felt pressured to get it to him. I wouldn't be surprised if Hodgson and the other first liners gripped the sticks more and forced things because they were afraid of Vanek, a veteran and captain being mad or annoyed with them when he didn't get the puck.

I might be reading into it too much, but Hodgson's quote reminded me of that thought and how Vanek always seemed to be put out when someone didn't get him the puck.

Buffalo has had some luck in having their new acquisition score goals in first game with the club. I remember quite a few that scored in their first game. a notered one was Bernier who scored 2 and then only put up 1 more the rest of the season.

Moulson effect---sort of like a hangover---it could have a psotiive effect in the team to wakr up and play (especially the vets)

Going to be interesting with ott. Mike Schopp last year said he knew for a fact a team in the bottom of the 1st round offered a 1st for Ott at the deadline. Will that happen again? I really doubt it, and knowing Regier that would probably eat him up and he wont deal Ott for anything less..

I think the team that offered the pick was a team that many felt would be a conference finalist at least if not in the cup final thus putting the pick at 27-30. He would have rather traded it to a non division winning team whose pick would have beeen 15-20.

Actually Ott value goes up because he is a hired gun without a contract for next year.so teams will give up a 1st to add something for a good playoff run.

Remember the financial side....with most teams the teams that miss the playoffs break even, those that make the playoffs make a profit...and advancing a series adds millions to that profit.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Stafford or Ennis.

Just seems odd. We addressed our weakness at RW by picking up Frolik and Setoguchi. We may still be going after Stafford, but salary would have to be retained. Maybe Chevy is high on Stafford for some reason, or thinks Setoguchi won't re-sign.

No pressing need for Ennis unless something else is in the works like Jokinen + pick for Ennis. Chevy seems to be getting the Jets younger every year.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
30. Interesting side note of commissioner Gary Bettman's Patrick Kaleta ruling: the NHLPA requested, and received, all correspondence (email or otherwise) relating to the incident. Pretty soon, the NHL is going to go to smoke signals and sign language.

Paste, this really isn't news. This type of request is standard in information requests made during administrative appeals. They are usually looking for mitigating factors and for evidence that people above the deciding official or with no party to the issue are attempting to influence the proposed/imposed discipline in violation of due process.

for instance, if they found correspondence where Bettman directed Shanahan to "hammer" Kaleta, that would be a violation as he should not be part of the process at that point and would also compromise his impartiality in the appeal/review. I am sure the league lawyers/HR staff advises them to keep opinions off the email.

I think they were trying to find something like that.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Here's the link to the 30 thoughts:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...want-teams-to-pay-for-players-violations.html

You missed this:

I don't see the Jets having interest in Vanek, but Miller I could see. Rumors are we're on his no trade list, but even if it's not Miller who else? Maybe revisiting a Stafford trade?

I've long said Miller to the Jets probably makes more sense than any other team in the league--except for Pavelec's deal. They're a pretty good team on the fringe of the playoffs, but Pavelec sucks and seems to kill them every year.

The question would be whether Miller would waive for 'Peg.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Just seems odd. We addressed our weakness at RW by picking up Frolik and Setoguchi. We may still be going after Stafford, but salary would have to be retained. Maybe Chevy is high on Stafford for some reason, or thinks Setoguchi won't re-sign.

Stafford has been long talked about being dealt to WPG.

No pressing need for Ennis unless something else is in the works like Jokinen + pick for Ennis. Chevy seems to be getting the Jets younger every year.

There is NO WAY ...:facepalm: that Buffalo trades a player who is part of their rebuild in Ennis for a UFA

Buffalo is rebuilding so they only way (assuming no contract dispute) they trade Ennis is more of a lateral move where they move Ennis + another player for a better winger.

The Washer

Feb 7, 2011
Anyone else think the first line might be as good, if not better without Vanek?

I don't just say this because of moulson's two goals, but Hodgson's comment reminded me of something I thought earlier.

Vanek seems to want the puck over the blue-line and have a play be set up for him, which isn't a bad thing, but on a young team I feel like guys felt pressured to get it to him. I wouldn't be surprised if Hodgson and the other first liners gripped the sticks more and forced things because they were afraid of Vanek, a veteran and captain being mad or annoyed with them when he didn't get the puck.

I might be reading into it too much, but Hodgson's quote reminded me of that thought and how Vanek always seemed to be put out when someone didn't get him the puck.

Doesnt exactly scream team now does it. Nor does is sound like any sort of Offensive System. Stafford does the same thing. I remember an Ennis interview in which he said "When Staff calls for the puck, you get Staff the puck". It seemed as if "or else" was implied. Guess we can figure out why our system sucked or we just completely lacked one.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Doesnt exactly scream team now does it. Nor does is sound like any sort of Offensive System. Stafford does the same thing. I remember an Ennis interview in which he said "When Staff calls for the puck, you get Staff the puck". It seemed as if "or else" was implied. Guess we can figure out why our system sucked or we just completely lacked one.

Would love to hear that interview you just completely invented.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Would love to hear that interview you just completely invented.

It's not invented. It was a post-game after Ennis assisted Staff on a nice goal.
Edit: Think it may have been toward the end of 11-12 when the FES line was scoring like crazy.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Stafford has been long talked about being dealt to WPG.

I know, I followed it closely last deadline. It was to address our weakness at RW. We had Wheeler, Miettenen, and Wellwood down the right wing, probably the weakest in the league. Now we have Wheeler, Setoguchi, and Frolik. That looks much much better. That's why I'm saying it's surprising if we're still going after Stafford, unless Seto won't re-sign.

There is NO WAY ...:facepalm: that Buffalo trades a player who is part of their rebuild in Ennis for a UFA

Buffalo is rebuilding so they only way (assuming no contract dispute) they trade Ennis is more of a lateral move where they move Ennis + another player for a better winger.

Fair enough, Ennis was originally a Sabres fans suggestion, not mine.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Interesting that Vanek wanted the puck so he could create, I just didnt see it very often during his time other than the occasional highlight.

Hodgson is a top 10 pick, I dont think many people think about that. The guy has so much talent. Read old scouting reports of the guy, he has 1st line franchise player potential. He looked different without Vanek, like it was his show. I wonder where this goes, maybe it was just one game.

Great perspective. A good homework assignment! :nod:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Interesting that Vanek wanted the puck so he could create, I just didnt see it very often during his time other than the occasional highlight.

Hodgson is a top 10 pick, I dont think many people think about that. The guy has so much talent. Read old scouting reports of the guy, he has 1st line franchise player potential. He looked different without Vanek, like it was his show. I wonder where this goes, maybe it was just one game.

I was wondering the same thing. He looked more assertive out there IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad