News Article: Elliotte Friedman: "30 Thoughts..." Column, Full of Sabre Tidbits

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
1. Was very happy to hear Randy Cunneyworth is back in the NHL. The Sabres just hired him as a pro scout. He deserves a fresh start and a better ending.

2. Islanders GM Garth Snow is getting grief for taking Thomas Vanek instead of Ryan Miller, but the way Miller is going, do you think Regier is trading him for Matt Moulson's expiring contract, a first-round and second-round draft pick? Me neither. Regier said Monday he has "no offers" for Miller, and really hasn't had any since the summer. When the goalie does get traded, the bet is it's for a price Snow wasn't willing to pay for a rental.

There has been rumors that the Isles were trying for Miller over the summer. I suspect price is the mitigating factor.

3. Cody Hodgson had some good insight into playing with Vanek. "When we got over the blue-line, he wanted me to give him the puck," the centre said. "He wants to create." Curious to see how he fits with John Tavares, another guy who likes to have it and, sources say, is pretty good with it.

There is only one puck, after all...

6. So who didn't get Vanek? Blues GM Doug Armstrong doesn't play the speculation game, but it is believed St. Louis is in "we are going for it -- now" mode. They are a legit Stanley Cup contender and Vanek's skill set could have provided an extra dimension. By the way, when Buffalo does decide to trade Miller, there is no shortage of execs around the NHL who believe St. Louis will be part of that discussion.

I wonder if they had an offer out there?

30. Interesting side note of commissioner Gary Bettman's Patrick Kaleta ruling: the NHLPA requested, and received, all correspondence (email or otherwise) relating to the incident. Pretty soon, the NHL is going to go to smoke signals and sign language.

So it's Kaleta's fault my ISP is having a problem. I knew it!

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I'm surprised the most that he thinks Miller has more trade value than Vanek.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I thought it was the amount Vanek went for was more than Snow is/was willing to pay for Miller.

IMO it's a pretty poor assumption on his part that Darcy would have required the same return for Miller. I just can't see that being the case, and if it is you have to think it's a big mistake on Darcy's part. Getting a 1st straight up for Miller would be a win at the deadline.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Miller's not getting Vanek's price. No. ****ing. Way.

I think he just meant to say Snow would've had to overpay relative to Miller's worth more than Snow was comfortable with.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
IMO it's a pretty poor assumption on his part that Darcy would have required the same return for Miller. I just can't see that being the case, and if it is you have to think it's a big mistake on Darcy's part. Getting a 1st straight up for Miller would be a win at the deadline.

True enough -- my assumption has been that he'll get a 2nd and some sort of contract for Miller and more than that would be a big win.

Granted, the Blues angle coming up again makes me wonder if they could get the Blues 1st this year since it is viewed as a shallower draft than last year or next AND the Blues have such a stocked pipeline.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
True enough -- my assumption has been that he'll get a 2nd and some sort of contract for Miller and more than that would be a big win.

Granted, the Blues angle coming up again makes me wonder if they could get the Blues 1st this year since it is viewed as a shallower draft than last year or next AND the Blues have such a stocked pipeline.
Blues gave up a 1st last year in a deep draft even when Detroit refused to. It's the only reason they got Bouwmeester as Detroit apparently had a good package without the 1st. So it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'd take a 2nd and any winger with speed from any team. Could be a 4th or a 3rd line winger I don't really care.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Sort of ironic....I thought Vanek would be the one traded to Minnesota but is was Pominville.....it seemed like Miller would have been the one traded to the Islanders....but it was Vanek.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Anyone else think the first line might be as good, if not better without Vanek?

I don't just say this because of moulson's two goals, but Hodgson's comment reminded me of something I thought earlier.

Vanek seems to want the puck over the blue-line and have a play be set up for him, which isn't a bad thing, but on a young team I feel like guys felt pressured to get it to him. I wouldn't be surprised if Hodgson and the other first liners gripped the sticks more and forced things because they were afraid of Vanek, a veteran and captain being mad or annoyed with them when he didn't get the puck.

I might be reading into it too much, but Hodgson's quote reminded me of that thought and how Vanek always seemed to be put out when someone didn't get him the puck.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Interesting that Vanek wanted the puck so he could create, I just didnt see it very often during his time other than the occasional highlight.

Hodgson is a top 10 pick, I dont think many people think about that. The guy has so much talent. Read old scouting reports of the guy, he has 1st line franchise player potential. He looked different without Vanek, like it was his show. I wonder where this goes, maybe it was just one game.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
So, if you think Miller would now be the one traded to the Blues, it'll be Ott instead?

Going to be interesting with ott. Mike Schopp last year said he knew for a fact a team in the bottom of the 1st round offered a 1st for Ott at the deadline. Will that happen again? I really doubt it, and knowing Regier that would probably eat him up and he wont deal Ott for anything less..

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Hodgson is a top 10 pick, I dont think many people think about that. The guy has so much talent. Read old scouting reports of the guy, he has 1st line franchise player potential. He looked different without Vanek, like it was his show. I wonder where this goes, maybe it was just one game.

That is an interesting observation. The line of Hodgson, Ennis and Moulson had some energy that I haven't really seen from the Sabres yet this year.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Shades of Steve Bernier

Its much different because Moulson has a history as a goal scorer.

It is interesting though, i know the Sabres broadcast showed a stat that like 7 current Sabres have scored on their very 1st shot with the Sabres.

You mention Bernier, I know Brad Boyes also scored in his 1st game. So there does seem to be a history of this.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Hopefully Stafford.

No, we now want to keep Stafford, and even promote him to the #1 line...He can be part of our tank...Hang onto him until next year's trade deadline (he's a ufa after next year), then deal him near the deadline for whatever.....

Keep Staffy Poo along with Leino.... THINK TANK !!!

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Its much different because Moulson has a history as a goal scorer.

It is interesting though, i know the Sabres broadcast showed a stat that like 7 current Sabres have scored on their very 1st shot with the Sabres.

You mention Bernier, I know Brad Boyes also scored in his 1st game. So there does seem to be a history of this.

Doug Smith, acquired from LA back in the 80s I believe....From what I remember there was some hype about him coming here, and he scored on his first shift I believe.....Anyone remember this ?

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
IMO I don't think Darcy should come out and say that there are currently no offers at all for Miller. If asked he should say no comment. Now a GM could offer a second rounder and then what? We just take it instead of letting him walk?

No how do we hook calgary into giving us a first + prospect haha

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I just have this sneaking feeling that Miller's going to re-sign.

http://sabrenoise.com/2013/10/30/report-buffalo-sabres-wont-re-sign-ryan-miller/

Ryan Wolfe @wolfeshc
According to @TSNBobMcKenzie, on TSN Radio, "#sabres will trade Ryan Miller at the first opportunity they get. He will not be re-signed."

So, there is that....

http://podcasts.thescore.com/episodes/backhand-shelf-october-30-2013

Bob Mc was on with Justin Bourne yesterday and it was a good listen.

MayDayMayDay

Out here doing time bandit shit...
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->