Confirmed with Link: Elliott traded to CAL for 35th (& Cond. 3rd)

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'm starting the Jhonas Enroth to St. Louis bandwagon. You're all welcome to hop on.

I'll pass. He put up good numbers last year but played like a dozen games or something. Anytime he has gotten a decent number of games in a short span, he is terrible. If Allen gets injured, we are screwed.

The available goalie market is frightfully thin. There is nobody that excites me. I'd rather go with Nilsson then anyone I have heard. and I am far from comfortable with him. I wish we'd have giving Binnington a try for more than 15 minutes in the NHL at some point when we called him up, just to see what we have there.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'll pass. He put up good numbers last year but played like a dozen games or something. Anytime he has gotten a decent number of games in a short span, he is terrible. If Allen gets injured, we are screwed.

The available goalie market is frightfully thin. There is nobody that excites me. I'd rather go with Nilsson then anyone I have heard. and I am far from comfortable with him. I wish we'd have giving Binnington a try for more than 15 minutes in the NHL at some point when we called him up, just to see what we have there.

I wouldn't describe the market as thin. There are multiple teams trying to unload a competent starter with less obvious landing spots. I think there will be a couple good guys available. Even a guy like Reimer, its not clear whether he won't have to take a big pay cut and sign on as a back-up.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I wouldn't describe the market as thin. There are multiple teams trying to unload a competent starter with less obvious landing spots. I think there will be a couple good guys available. Even a guy like Reimer, its not clear whether he won't have to take a big pay cut and sign on as a back-up.

Yea, I guess I meant more thin for cheap capable backups. That might always be the case. Once they prove capable, they are no longer cheap. Any goalie we have to trade for is a waste of assets unless we can get them super cheap. If we are looking in the less than Elliott range, its thin. I think Reimer will cost more than we want to spend. Although if he does take a considerable pay cut, he would be a good option. He only made $2.3 AAV on his last contract. At $1.5, he'd be worth exploring.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I would imagine that since they qualified Nilsson, that the plan is for Nilsson to be the backup. Otherwise, why keep him around? I personally do not have a lot of faith in an Allen-Nilsson tandem but all the signs point to that being the Blues' plan.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I would imagine that since they qualified Nilsson, that the plan is for Nilsson to be the backup. Otherwise, why keep him around? I personally do not have a lot of faith in an Allen-Nilsson tandem but all the signs point to that being the Blues' plan.

Nilsson costs $1.05M to qualify. If we happen to find someone else that we like better, we can stash him in the AHL (I know, really crowded down there) and only have $100k cap hit. So while it seems that he is an option management is comfortable with, I do think they will kick the tires elsewhere. Armstrong actually said as much during an draft interview after the Elliott trade, that they'd explore free agency. But he was also quoted as saying he trusts Nilsson as backup, or something along those lines.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Nilsson costs $1.05M to qualify. If we happen to find someone else that we like better, we can stash him in the AHL (I know, really crowded down there) and only have $100k cap hit. So while it seems that he is an option management is comfortable with, I do think they will kick the tires elsewhere. Armstrong actually said as much during an draft interview after the Elliott trade, that they'd explore free agency. But he was also quoted as saying he trusts Nilsson as backup, or something along those lines.

I'm getting a Carter Hutton vibe

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I could see someone getting loaned to a European league.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO

I don't know a thing about Nilsson. The Blues website indicates that he played in three games for the Blues this past season, but I don't remember any of his appearances. He's 26 years old, has played in 52 NHL games, and has a career save percentage of .900. It looks like he has been the back-up goalie on some bad Islander and Oiler teams.

He doesn't seem like much to get excited about. But I felt the same way when they signed Brian Elliott.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I don't know a thing about Nilsson. The Blues website indicates that he played in three games for the Blues this past season, but I don't remember any of his appearances. He's 26 years old, has played in 52 NHL games, and has a career save percentage of .900. It looks like he has been the back-up goalie on some bad Islander and Oiler teams.

He doesn't seem like much to get excited about. But I felt the same way when they signed Brian Elliott.

Yea, he has been pretty awful in his NHL career. Whether its him or the teams he was on is anyones guess. Between NY and Edm, he has a killer season in the KHL. He has the tools to be really good. He is big, really big. There isn't much room to shoot around him. AND he is also quick and athletic. But his mental game isn't very good. He over-reacts and drops too early. Working with Corsi, he might end up really good. Or he just might not have the head to ever reach that level.

The 3 games he played for us were all in relief. He didn't start a single game. That is probably why you don't remember him.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Yea, he has been pretty awful in his NHL career. Whether its him or the teams he was on is anyones guess. Between NY and Edm, he has a killer season in the KHL. He has the tools to be really good. He is big, really big. There isn't much room to shoot around him. AND he is also quick and athletic. But his mental game isn't very good. He over-reacts and drops too early. Working with Corsi, he might end up really good. Or he just might not have the head to ever reach that level.

The 3 games he played for us were all in relief. He didn't start a single game. That is probably why you don't remember him.

Yeah, it gives me a little optimism because he played behind some pretty horrendous defenses in New York and Edmonton.

He has the tools and is young enough to still develop into a quality goaltender, but my concern is that he's not going to get the playing time (in North America, at least) needed in order to develop. He played in only 31 games last year, and playing time might be tough to come by between Allen/Hutton and Copley/Binnington.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Everytime I've seen Nilsson play he's looked like absolute garbage and it had nothing to do with the team in front of him

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Nilsson should be much better than he is in theory, but he sure as heck doesn't play to his own strengths. For a big guy who's pretty athletic, he sure makes himself look small in the net. And he overcommits far too often.

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
Ouch

“It’s not an easy one, especially personally,†said Elliott, who made 22 saves but will take the fall for several he didn’t make.

“I didn’t feel I played very well. I let the team down a little bit. It’s tough to lose off a bounce like that. You want to help the team more than you hurt it. It’s tough to swallow right now. The guys spotted four goals, and we should win a game like that.â

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
atleast hes taking responsibility for it.

either way i was hoping the flames would resign him so we would get a extra pick. doubt that happens now. ben bishop is gonna make alot of money this offseason as the premier goalie FA. vegas, calgary, dallas....lots of openings.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Yeah it's starting to seem like the Flames won't be re-signing Elliott. Sucks for us since we won't get that extra pick but I'm very pleased with how Kyrou has been turning out thus far. Obviously there are some issues in his game that need to be fixed, but his offensive upside is sky high and he brings a skillset that we severely lack on the Blues.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
atleast hes taking responsibility for it.

either way i was hoping the flames would resign him so we would get a extra pick. doubt that happens now. ben bishop is gonna make alot of money this offseason as the premier goalie FA. vegas, calgary, dallas....lots of openings.

Whoever signs him is going yo regret it. I know he's a big name guy but this last season has been average at best. He always seems to get injured too. Im glad Allen got his **** together, would have hated the Blues making a play for BB

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I was reading a thread that popped up yesterday in the trade area of the main boards. Seems like Elliott has really worn out his welcome there. Many of the posters there had the opinion that his worth is that of a back up goalie, not deserving of a starting slot.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It's a pretty crappy year for UFA skaters, but the goalie pool will be relatively deep. At the same time, there are a lot of teams with big needs in net, and so competition for the top guys will be stiff. I don't know what kind of goalie Calgary needs to be successful behind their defense, but Elliott has shown a few flashes of very solid play this season, and that might be enough for them to bring him back, even as a back-up, if they can't get one of the other guys on the market. Even as a back-up, he's probably worth more to them next year than a 3rd round pick in the 2018 draft. Important to remember that Chad Johnson is also a UFA, and it's hard to say whether or not any of their minor leaguers are ready for backup duty yet.

Notable UFA Goalies this summer:
Ben Bishop
Scott Darling
Steve Mason
Ryan Miller
Jon Bernier
Elliott
Chad Johnson
Darcy Kuemper
Anders Nilsson
Mike Condon

There are so many teams that need goalies though: Senators, Bruins, Leafs, Red Wings, Sabres, Blackhawks (probably), Jets, Stars, Avalanche, Islanders, Flyers, Canes, Flames, Kings, Yotes, Canucks. That's not even considering the shakeups that the expansion draft will cause. It's going to be a big money year for goalies, so it might behoove the Flames to hold onto Ells since it will be easier to control his costs.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
I was reading a thread that popped up yesterday in the trade area of the main boards. Seems like Elliott has really worn out his welcome there. Many of the posters there had the opinion that his worth is that of a back up goalie, not deserving of a starting slot.

Lots of Calgary fans want Vegas to take Elliott AND Brouwer off their hands!

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I would be surprised if Darling and Condon don't resign with the hawks and sens respectively. I think Kuemper probably resigns in Minn too, but not as certain about that one.

Jon Bernier is an interesting one. He's been outstanding for ANA and looks great behind their D. Have to imagine he'd want a full time starting gig somewhere tho. He may end up being the best signing value-wise out of all these guys if he takes a slight pay cut to be the undisputed #1 on a team...currently making 2.15 mill, I can see him signing for ~4, maybe less in the right situation.

I could see Calgary go either way. Despite 1 rough game, Elliott has been very good for them down the stretch. Management might very well see the situation differently than CAL fans in the trade forum.

Regardless, definitely going to be a big offseason goalie-wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad