Elliot or Allen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyGilmore

May 5, 2015
How about neither? Blues still need an upgrade. Both goaltenders let up debilitating pee wee goals in the playoffs. People talk about miller being unsuccessful when he let up only 1 maybe 2 bad ones.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
How about neither? Blues still need an upgrade. Both goaltenders let up debilitating pee wee goals in the playoffs. People talk about miller being unsuccessful when he let up only 1 maybe 2 bad ones.

Dubnyk let up awful goals against the Blues and Minnesota won that series. Crawford lets up awful goals in the playoffs and the Hawks still win. When a couple bad goals decides a first round series, either you have the bad luck of facing a great opponent or it's not your goaltending that's the problem (or it's both).

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Dubnyk let up awful goals against the Blues and Minnesota won that series. Crawford lets up awful goals in the playoffs and the Hawks still win. When a couple bad goals decides a first round series, either you have the bad luck of facing a great opponent or it's not your goaltending that's the problem (or it's both).

Well put. I really think there are some Blues fans that would call for Rinne or Quick's head if they let up a softie and we lost the series.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Dubnyk and Crawford didn't let in those awful goals at the important times though. The first goal in game 5 was huge, St. Louis was absolutely dominating that game after blowing them out the game before and that goal changed the whole game. Then in game 6, he lets in another terrible one. 2 very important games, and 2 god awful goals. You don't see goalies like Crawford and Dubnyk letting in those goals at those times.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Dubnyk and Crawford didn't let in those awful goals at the important times though. The first goal in game 5 was huge, St. Louis was absolutely dominating that game after blowing them out the game before and that goal changed the whole game. Then in game 6, he lets in another terrible one. 2 very important games, and 2 god awful goals. You don't see goalies like Crawford and Dubnyk letting in those goals at those times.

You do see that, but the thing is, those times seem more important to you because the team isn't scoring enough and isn't consistently performing well enough in general.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

I did actually. Their teams just came back and scored goals at crucial times when they really needed them.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I think either is good enough to get hot for an extended stretch, and neither is good enough that they warrant getting the benefit of the doubt if they hit a slump at the wrong time.

My only opinion is that if we're going to go with a hot-hand approach in the playoffs, then it should be like that all year so the goalies can mentally adjust to the abruptness of it.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think either is good enough to get hot for an extended stretch, and neither is good enough that they warrant getting the benefit of the doubt if they hit a slump at the wrong time.

My only opinion is that if we're going to go with a hot-hand approach in the playoffs, then it should be like that all year so the goalies can mentally adjust to the abruptness of it.

That and Hitchcock needs to stop being so hesitant to go to the other guy in the playoffs if one falters.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
If the Blues are going to let their Cup hopes wither and die because of one or two bad goals, then they won't be champions.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If the Blues are going to let their Cup hopes wither and die because of one or two bad goals, then they won't be champions.

Bingo... hence the perpetual 1st round exits. I have to agree with what someone else posted. I think last year was a big wake up call, this team simply didn't play up to expectations

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Imagine this a goalie controversy in St. Louis. :popcorn: To be honest I'm shocked that Elliott is still here.

I'm still ticked off Armstrong traded Bishop so there's my answer.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Bingo... hence the perpetual 1st round exits. I have to agree with what someone else posted. I think last year was a big wake up call, this team simply didn't play up to expectations

sorry ot

Or could it show this roster doesn't have 2nd, 3rd and the final needed killer instinct gear what qualifies champs compare to loosers. I would be happy if we could somehow find 2nd gear and automatically that will get domino affect, shortly last year Senators heater game in post-season.

I think Chicago win last year SC 2nd - 3rd gear and I think last year they sucked overally. That shows Chicago's core is so good they can lift/carry team up and be series factor.

We have Tarasenko and maybe Pietro if he had right pairing partner.

actionhank1786

Nov 6, 2011
sorry ot

Or could it show this roster doesn't have 2nd, 3rd and the final needed killer instinct gear what qualifies champs compare to loosers. I would be happy if we could somehow find 2nd gear and automatically that will get domino affect, shortly last year Senators heater game in post-season.

I think Chicago win last year SC 2nd - 3rd gear and I think last year they sucked overally. That shows Chicago's core is so good they can lift/carry team up and be series factor.

I think that was our biggest issue last year. Sure, Allen didn't steal the show like we've seen him do in games past...but at the same time, where did the rest of the team go? Tarasenko was himself, Pietrangelo looked good, but everyone else was largely invisible. Thinking back, I can't think of someone I really remember dominating. I remember thinking Berglund was doing better than expected, but even that didn't really show up on the board. Things could be fuzzy though...there was a lot of beer then, and even more since...

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
sorry ot

I think it's one in the same... really shouldn't have needed the Killer Instinct against Minny....

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008

This has been one of my biggest criticisms of the Blues coaching staff.

They handle the goal-tending situation differently in the playoffs than the regular season. When both Elliott and Allen were healthy, I can't remember either of them starting six games in a row.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Also after those couple stinkers Bishop let in....the Blues still would have needed their binkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad