Elliot or Allen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
This is completely off topic but I can't stop thinking about how much I wish they had used their chips to go after Luongo instead of Miller, contract and all

I'm absolutely with you that Luongo has always been better, but we have no idea how the negotiations for such a trade occurred. Markstrom hadn't established himself at the NHL level yet, but he was commonly considered the best goaltending prospect in the world for the prior couple of years. It's possible no deal would have gotten done if Vancouver didn't value the returning young goalie highly enough, no matter what the rest of the package looked like.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Going after Miller wasn't a bad decision at all. The dude had posted a .923 save% on one of the worst teams in the entire league. If we didn't give up so much, it was absolutely a fine chance to take.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Going after Miller wasn't a bad decision at all. The dude had posted a .923 save% on one of the worst teams in the entire league. If we didn't give up so much, it was absolutely a fine chance to take.

The evidence that he succeeded in high shot environments was telling. We are not and we're not a high shot environment.

We didn't need the goalie upgrade and certainly not for those pieces.

Scoring was our problem.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

I agree, and I was in favor of the move back then. Of course hindsight is 20/20 unfortunately for us. But I still think Lu would have been a better fit.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The evidence that he succeeded in high shot environments was telling. We are not and we're not a high shot environment.

Scoring was our problem.

While I can't say it was a mistake...because I willfully ignored the evidence that Miller wasn't a fit. I sure wish we had thst 1st. Coulda snagged Konency.

Losing Halak and Stewart though. Couldn't care less

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I don't know. I also don't really care who takes it (although I would like to see Allen start looking like a legitimate NHL goalie.) All I care about is that we have the #1 goalie spot locked down by the second half of the year. I don't want to go into the playoffs with it being in question again. We need to be more confident with who we're putting between the pipes in the playoffs, because if we aren't, I think that can trickle down to our goalies not feeling confident/trusted.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
This never ending goalie battle is not helping the team. I get the benefits of internal competition, but the eternal battle does not instill confidence. If there is anything this team needs is self confidence. Having your coach not side and run with one goalie is basically saying I dont think one is good enough to be handed the reins. Again, that doesn't instill confidence.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
This never ending goalie battle is not helping the team. I get the benefits of internal competition, but the eternal battle does not instill confidence. If there is anything this team needs is self confidence. Having your coach not side and run with one goalie is basically saying I dont think one is good enough to be handed the reins. Again, that doesn't instill confidence.

That's true but I also think that it's up to Elliott and Allen for one of them to force the issue by outright grabbing the position. I don't think it would be right for Hitch to just declare one the starter and one the backup when they haven't really established who is better yet. Both were good last year; the Blues need one of them to step up to very good/great.

For the sake of the team, I hope one of them takes that next step and establishes himself as the obvious starter.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The problem I have is that Elliott was awesome till his injury and stumbled coming back out of the gate but still he never really struggled. Imo Allen was somewhat handed the role. While he played great down the line, Elliott never should have lost the job.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Scoring was our problem.
Yep. We got desperate and overpaid. Carrier and a first were pieces we absolutely should not have traded for Miller.

Last edited:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Yep. We got desperate and overpaid. Carrier and a first were pieces we absolutely should not have traded for Miller.

I was okay with giving up Carrier since we're already log jammed with wingers but losing the first round pick really hurt.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I was okay with giving up Carrier since we're already log jammed with wingers but losing the first round pick really hurt.

While I really wish we had it now, I don't think it's devastating. I don't remember all the picks we lost...but those 2nd/3rd rounders kind of hurt too.

If I had the ability to go back and finangle a few things.

Never traded for Miller, and traded Berglund for a mid early 2nd.

Draft Konecney and Sprong. All depth Issues solved

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
If all things are equal, we need to go with Allen. We need to find out what he can do as a starter and get ready for the playoffs. Elliott is on his last year of his contract, and if Allen can't hack it this year then we need to do some serious evaluation of his play.

Next Season
If Allen takes the starter role:
Allen
Binnington

If Allen can't take the starter role:
Allen/Binnington

We simply cannot bring back Elliott unless he wins us 2 or more playoff series. Husso and Copley will need to get some time in the AHL, so 1A/1B Allen and Binnington and hopefully Binnington takes the role before next Christmas.

I really like Elliott, but I think that there's no future for him here. Allen HAS to cement himself this season, and early. Otherwise it's time to start looking at someone else for the future.

Oh, and we overpaid for Miller, but again, hindsight is 20/20 and I'd probably do it again.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Elliott has 2 years remaining on his contract. Allen shouldn't be handed the starting job. If he can't outperform Elliott then he shouldn't be the starter. In my mind Allen has to prove he's worthy of the starters position. It should be whoever earns it.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
I was really high on Allen last season, mostly because my family had no faith. Him shutting the ducks out really showed me what he's capable of, but he really flopped in the playoffs, so I'm ready for a rebound. However, I think Elliot has what it takes to be a legit #1.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
For some reason I really thought Elliott's contract was a two-year deal. Nevermind.

It'd be nice if Allen could cement himself this season, but I doubt that happens before February, if at all.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Since so many people are saying what they "hope" happens, not what they think will happen, I will too. I hope they are fairly even with Allen being ahead over the first 45-50 games. Over the next 5-10 games, I hope Allen flames out spectacularly ie never is considered for another game in a Blues uniform. Then Elliot takes the job the last quarter of the season and into the playoffs. This way Elliot will be well rested having not played much early, he won't be looking over his shoulder knowing management will yank him at the slightest provocation and we won't have to wait for Allen's inevitable playoff choke job that he has done at every level of his career. That is what I think would be best for the Blues.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
It's surprising how many fans hate Allen after one playoff series. Scratch that. It isn't surprising. Blues fans hate their goaltenders.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
kL6Zidl.jpg

hate the gam... ...1st round exits :D

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I don't care who it is, be it Allen or Elliott or maybe we'll sign Marty Turco halfway through the season- I don't care. As long as somebody, anybody steps up

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
The problem I have is that Elliott was awesome till his injury and stumbled coming back out of the gate but still he never really struggled. Imo Allen was somewhat handed the role. While he played great down the line, Elliott never should have lost the job.

This.

I honestly think Elliott's proved enough to be the #1 guy this season or at least be given the chance from the start of the season. Allen would do just fine as a back up and working on his areas that need rounding out. If Allen can outplay Elliott, then so be it.

IMO, the only way Allen should get more starts is if he proves himself to be in true #1 form and we no longer need a tandem. I'm doubtful this happened over one off-season. If he can't secure the starting role, he needs to back up until he's ready.

We found out what we have in Allen last season. There's no mystery and no need for him to be "given" time like many have suggested. He needs to work on his game and outplay Elliott before he's "given" anything.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
It's surprising how many fans hate Allen after one playoff series. Scratch that. It isn't surprising. Blues fans hate their goaltenders.

Allen even played well for us for the most parth with on really bad game for te most part.

People seem to forget the Halak and Price playoffs. Both had some bad games with Price being the worst of the 2. I think most fans would over look the bad playoffs he had now.

Allen was rookie starting his first NHL playoffs people are way to obsessed with the last game of the series that the team had already given up on.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Allen even played well for us for the most parth with on really bad game for te most part.

People seem to forget the Halak and Price playoffs. Both had some bad games with Price being the worst of the 2. I think most fans would over look the bad playoffs he had now.

Allen was rookie starting his first NHL playoffs people are way to obsessed with the last game of the series that the team had already given up on.
While your spot on with this....most of the GA were horrendous. Now with that said...as much as I'd rather have seen Elliott play. Allen didn't lose us the series. He played he role.....and I'll even go a step further and say small role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad