Confirmed with Link: Ellerby signed to a 1-year deal

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Apparently an insurance policy, and a depth one at that, is bad. Watch his cap hit be nothing. Scuds was a goner a long time ago and there's no chance we give him what he'll get on an open market.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I figured that Lombardi just didn't want to give him a raise, and wanted to sign Ellerby for less. Dean likes this kid as a project.

Let's give Sutter and his staff an entire training camp, and possibly a season with the kid as a #7 defenseman. I bet we see some results.

Exactly my thoughts, really. Excited to see everyone with a Sutter training camp. As a Drewiske replacement, can't really complain. Plus it's not DL's style to just piss away a 5th round pick :P

HolyShot*

Martinez, muzzin and ellerby are fully capable of playing in that 4th spot in case scuds doesn't resign and mitchell goes down. That spot is overrated by kings fans.

I Am Ziggy Palffy

Sep 9, 2003
There really is no down side to this. Ellerby is a young Dman with some upside, perfectly fit for a 7th spot now. This also provides insurance in case either Martinez is traded or Mitchell needs more time. DL liked him enough to trade for him. If things work so well with the roster that Ellerby becomes unneeded, then DL might even surprise all of us and swap him for a couple picks like Westgarth.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 27s
Ellerby: 1 year, $735,000

Wait, what? That would be what he'd be qualified for, is it not? If that's the case I gotta think it's bye bye Scuderi :(

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I REALLY don't want to see Ellerby as the 7th dman over Marty/Muzz. One injury and that means Ellerby plays and that scares the hell out of me. Please...if Ellerby is on the NHL roster, keep 8 D.

Not if we trade Ellerby for Slepyshev. Then his head will explode. :sarcasm:

If this happened, I'd tattoo Dean Lombardi's face on my back.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I wanted to believe Scuds was staying, but apparently I'm delusional. Let's just hope Regehr is solid all year and Mitchell stays healthy, two very big IF's. Hopefully we see Ellerby improve next year.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I like Ellerby. I think he is the ideal 7th defenseman, and while his upside seems limited, I think he will be a long term #6 in the NHL, though likely not for us, but I think he will have a career with decent length.

It didn't make sense that we wouldn't qualify him, so this is a welcome surprise. Outside of Mitchell, Regehr, and Greene we don't have any defensive defensemen in the system that are NHL ready, and we got too young with injuries last year. Especially none that have the size that Dean and Sutter seem to require. After what happened last year, and given how important defense is to Dean, it doesn't surprise that we have the insurance of 8 capable defensemen on the roster heading into camp.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 27s
Ellerby: 1 year, $735,000

Wait, what? That would be what he'd be qualified for, is it not? If that's the case I gotta think it's bye bye Scuderi :(

Upon an earlier review, I had found that Ellerby needed a one-way contract offer for it to count as a QO. Could very well be this is a two-way deal, which is why it did not count as QO.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Upon an earlier review, I had found that Ellerby needed a one-way contract offer for it to count as a QO. Could very well be this is a two-way deal, which is why it did not count as QO.

Cool, that'd be interesting. Though if that's the case I've got to think he would have chosen to go to the open market instead in hopes of finding some team willing to give him a 1-way.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
So if Scuderi is gone and the Kings sign their 5 RFAs to 10% raises, they'll have 23 guys with $1,982,272 of cap space.

Asheru

Jun 28, 2011
I'd say there's a downside to carrying an extra player you're not sure is going to improve. Other teams are upgrading. We are not.

It's not going to destroy them, though. I still would rather have Ellerby walk.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
I just don't see Scuds coming back. I think if he wanted to sign, he would have done so already. I think he's going onto the tail end of his career and this will be more about cash than winning the cup. Since he's won twice, I think he's looking at filling the bank account for years to come. Can't blame him for it, but he wants to test FA then so be it. I just hope DL has a good plan B.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
This is probably the only signing we are going to see this summer. :laugh:

Oh how things have changed.

Nolan, Lewis, Clifford, + Martinez and Muzzin, gives us 23 roster players.
Believe we have tendered qualifying offers to all of them...

Guess Clifford or Martinez, could get traded for picks. If you move Clifford you probably have about 2.5 million for a UFA, unless some guy is going to give us a discount probably better to keep Clifford, cuz 2.5 million probably does not allow for that big an upgrade.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I'd say there's a downside to carrying an extra player you're not sure is going to improve. Other teams are upgrading. We are not.

It's not going to destroy them, though. I still would rather have Ellerby walk.

Who has upgraded? $750 for an ancillary depth piece is nothing. We'll roll into the season with some cap space most likely. Perhaps Dean makes a move at the deadline.

We still have a damn good team and made it to the WCF with an anemic offense. Some of you guys are jumping the gun big time. We're absolutely an elite, contending team.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ellerby has a good attitude, good tools and works hard. He was decent on the PK. Sutter even said that and how he came in on the PK and really did a good job on it. I think Ellerby suffers a bit from the Panthers having a less than great development program - I don't know that for a fact, but they do not seem to develop too many good NHL'ers from their farm.

He knows he's a 6/7 guy and I think he will push himself hard to become better. He also knows this is a 1 year deal and must earn his next contract. In order to do that, he must improve. I think if the staff can make him a little meaner, that will go a long way. He's no creampuff, but should be a little more punishing and he can learn that from Greene and Regehr.

The following year, Forbort will probably be ready and if Ellerby doesn't step up this season, he will be gone.

The Kings don't lose here.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Not sure if i should be happy with this, as he is a perfect #7d, or mad because that means Regehr isn't the #7

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Either we carry 8 dmen, or perhaps Martinez is going to be dangled for another young forward. I didn't mind the 8 dmen system we ran with last year, so its probably the latter.

I don't really think this signing affects retaining Scuderi at all, in the sense that he's likely gone already. Ellerby is good #8 insurance, assuming Muzzin and Martinez are both sticking around.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica

If this is the case wouldn't that logic lead people to think the plan is to hopefully get Ellerby through waivers and to the AHL? That's the only way the two-way part comes into play. If the intent is for him to be in the NHL why even bother with the two-way contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad