Confirmed with Link: Ellerby signed to a 1-year deal

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
My guess is that he was not qualified so that the Kings could sign him for less than what the QO would have been. Hopefully it's also a two-way deal. He still had to earn the right to be a 7th-8th defenseman in the NHL.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Scuds may very well be leaving, but this deal doesn't mean that.

Wouldn't that give us eight defensemen then (if we signed Scuds)?

I don't think we roll with 8 dmen to start the year and I don't think the Kings signed Ellerby to start in the AHL.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Scuds may very well be leaving, but this deal doesn't mean that.

It doesn't necessarily mean he's gone but this is probably reassurance in case he does go. We now have a clog on D though. Ugh. I hope this means Willie's healthy

KingKopitar11*

It doesn't necessarily mean he's gone but this is probably reassurance in case he does go. We now have a clog on D though. Ugh. I hope this means Willie's healthy

Well if willie was healthy I think he wouldn't of signed Ellerby. Seems like a panic signing by DL.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
My guess is that he was not qualified so that the Kings could sign him for less than what the QO would have been. Hopefully it's also a two-way deal. He still had to earn the right to be a 7th-8th defenseman in the NHL.

Might be for LESS money (though he was only making $700,000 so the MQO would have been only a 5% raise) ... but he's played too many games for a 2-way deal, he'll be making the full NHL contract amount even if he's playing in the AHL or ECHL, and he'll be subject to waivers as well. He's just FINE as a #7 D-man you really are being hyper critical of the kid, but hey that's cool, it's what you do.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Wouldn't that give us eight defensemen then (if we signed Scuds)?

I don't think we roll with 8 dmen to start the year and I don't think the Kings signed Ellerby to start in the AHL.

I think we're going to roll with 8 defensemen due to some injury concerns. Mitchell's knee, Greene's back...

The Kings have a plan and I think part of that plan was always to bring Ellerby back and develop him.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Might be for LESS money (though he was only making $700,000 so the MQO would have been only a 5% raise) ... but he's played too many games for a 2-way deal, he'll be making the full NHL contract amount even if he's playing in the AHL or ECHL, and he'll be subject to waivers as well. He's just FINE as a #7 D-man you really are being hyper critical of the kid, but hey that's cool, it's what you do. :shakehead

He wasn't qualified and was retained, meaning the organization felt he wasn't worth what he was earning. How am I being hypercritical? Maybe you're just oversensitive and should develop a backbone and form your own opinions?

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
I personally thought Ellerby was fine besides the Muzzerby disaster, this makes me think that DL is starting to look past Scuds.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Scuderi>Regehr + Ellerby. Not a fan of this signing, another NHL player who is kept around far too long just because the scouts were wrong. This is the salary cap era though, you can't pick and choose who you want like a fantasy hockey team and Scuderi is going to get paid based on the horrible contracts that have been handed out BEFORE free agency has even started. Elias for 16 million? Scuderi is worth 6 to a contender.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
As others have said, I too think this might just be a case of the Kings simply wanting to sign him for a lower amount than his qualifying offer. We'll see when the numbers come out. Hopefully this does not mean the end of Scuderi, either case it will almost certainly mean the end of Muzzin or Martinez.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
They must see enough in him to think they have something to work with. He had his bad moments, but he also had stretches where he played his position. There's upside somewhere in there.

This signing gives DL options and having options are better than having no options.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Very smart on DL's part since he's going to make less and that frees up cap space, no matter how small.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I figured that Lombardi just didn't want to give him a raise, and wanted to sign Ellerby for less. Dean likes this kid as a project.

Let's give Sutter and his staff an entire training camp, and possibly a season with the kid as a #7 defenseman. I bet we see some results.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
As others have said, I too think this might just be a case of the Kings simply wanting to sign him for a lower amount than his qualifying offer. We'll see when the numbers come out. Hopefully this does not mean the end of Scuderi, either case it will almost certainly mean the end of Muzzin or Martinez.

I seriously doubt that Muzzin will be the odd man out, and if Scuderi doesn't re-sign with the Kings it won't be the end of the world if they roll with.

Doughty - Regehr

Voynov - Mitchell

Muzzin/Martinez - Greene

It's possible that Martinez may still be traded. They have all training camp and preseason to make that decision.

I think we're going to roll with 8 defensemen due to some injury concerns. Mitchell's knee, Greene's back...

The Kings have a plan and I think part of that plan was always to bring Ellerby back and develop him.

A definite possibility.

Last edited:

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Poor CNS just had his holiday ruined...Hell its CNS, probably just had his whole summer ruined by this.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
No Scuderi to Pittsburgh.

@RobRossi_Trib: #TribHKY Touched base again with Scuderi camp. Perhaps playing coy, but belief there is finances make return to #pens unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad