Confirmed with Link: Ellerby signed to a 1-year deal

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Ellerby was not Qualified so the Kings could sign him to a more flexible contract.

Ellerby was nice enough to agree to it. Ellerby has 160 games of NHL experience.

As much as people think it's really easy to replace NHL roster players.....Well it's not.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Well on twitter it says it's 1 yr @ $735,000 ... the SAME as his MQO would have been, SO ?

Pretty sure Mayors, Manor said his QO could have been as high as 850k.

I would assume it's a two way contract as well. He would have to pass waivers, but I doubt any team would pluck him, he would have to remain on their active roster.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Cap geek, unless not updated says it's a one way contract.

So their was no reason to not Qualify Ellerby... Strange indeed.

I figured the Kings signed him this way cause it was cheaper....Maybe they figured out they are not going to find a replacement in UFA for 735k.

Forbort is 900k, Nick D is 716k.....So it would be expensive to bring those guys up too.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Cap geek, unless not updated says it's a one way contract.

So their was no reason to not Qualify Ellerby... Strange indeed.

I figured the Kings signed him this way cause it was cheaper....Maybe they figured out they are not going to find a replacement in UFA for 735k.

Forbort is 900k, Nick D is 716k.....So it would be expensive to bring those guys up too.

They probably decided not to risk losing both he and Scuds and when Scuds decided to test free agency they signed him. Who knows, maybe Dean talked to him and laid the Scuds situation out for him.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Pretty sure Mayors, Manor said his QO could have been as high as 850k.

I would assume it's a two way contract as well. He would have to pass waivers, but I doubt any team would pluck him, he would have to remain on their active roster.

He was making $700,000 and capgeeks QO calculator says that would equate to needing a 5% raise ... or $735k.

QO's can be higher than the minimum amount. Just no need for them to be. At 700K his QO would be 105% of what he was making. Puck U has the right of it.

It is odd that this was not a QO, perhaps they presented the offer after the deadline for QO's once they realized Scuderi wasn't going to happen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad