Eller - Our 2nd line LW for the PO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capitaine Subban*

There's no more excuses for Eller. He has to start putting up points. I'm starting to lose my patience. At one point, his play needs to translate into goals and apples.

It is early but I feel the same.Galchenyuk look like Eller last year carrying wingers that cant complete ****.Somehow Weise keep scoring goals ...

Capitaine Subban*

No doubt he needs to produce more but the line hasn't clicked yet. The production is the only thing lacking in Eller's game because he does everything else pretty well, which includes his 2 ways game, puck retrieving, winning board battle and crashing the net.

His production at even strength is still "acceptable" and comparable to his peers.

Eller biggest problem will forever be his average vision and hockey sense.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
There's no more excuses for Eller. He has to start putting up points. I'm starting to lose my patience. At one point, his play needs to translate into goals and apples.

He does need to produce more but he doesn't need to be the goal scorer on that line. Let Galch and more specifically, Semin be that goal scorer. There needs to be a goal scorer on that line and I just don't think Eller is that guy. The other two on the other hand can be (well, as long as someone tells Semin to shoot first then pass).

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
It is early but I feel the same.Galchenyuk look like Eller last year carrying wingers that cant complete ****.Somehow Weise keep scoring goals ...

Well, Weise doesn't really try to do anything but to try to score goals. Get Semin to do the same and I would expect Semin's output to improve rapidly.
Still, too early to complain about that line. Too many new variables on that line to mesh yet.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well... why not?
It could be better, but aside from last game, he was good in every game.

This isn't the spot I'd be looking to improve on, at all costs.

Obviously, if we get giftwrapped a better player, there would be no reason whatsoever to keep Eller at his position. This said, players better than Eller usually don't get giftwrapped.

I wouldn't necessarily be against experimenting Flash in his spot (and switching Eller to DD's line) if both DD and AG line go on a slump, but it's not something I'd absolutely want to see or try.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014

Lose patience? why its only 8 games in.. and he has more goals then everyone not named PAcioretty plekanec or gallagher.

and he is one of our top PKers. Points will come..

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Lose patience? why its only 8 games in.. and he has more goals then everyone not named PAcioretty plekanec or gallagher.

and he is one of our top PKers. Points will come..

I agree with your main point, but Weise and Mitchell have more goals - only one more though.

Nynja*

Its not like the line isnt generating chances or looking overly sloppy.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I knew Eller despite playing really well, will somehow get criticize as soon as he plays a bad game because he hasn't produce as much as his game showed.

He did have a bad game yesterday but he was really really good in the first 7 games of the season. I recall seeing him make numerous plays that create to odd man rush.

But like every other year, he will be the very first scapegoat. People will forget the first 7 games fast because they will only check on the scoresheet but Eller was very good in those games, as a 2 ways winger, something you don't see often.

And I don't get the part in the OP that says Eller isn't the real deal when it matters. When it matter its the playoffs and Eller has no problem performing in the playoffs.

How is Eller the first scapegoat ever? He legit has threads named "Cult of Eller".

I will give you one thing, people get too high and low on this guy. He will have his ups and downs and that's fine.

I'm not sure if this is serious or not.

If people's expectations are that Eller is a top 6 player then you'd be disappointed.

He's a fringe 2nd liner and is doing fairly well in his role.

There's no need to give excuses for Eller, people just need to adjust their expectations.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
I knew Eller despite playing really well, will somehow get criticize as soon as he plays a bad game because he hasn't produce as much as his game showed.

He did have a bad game yesterday but he was really really good in the first 7 games of the season. I recall seeing him make numerous plays that create to odd man rush.

But like every other year, he will be the very first scapegoat. People will forget the first 7 games fast because they will only check on the scoresheet but Eller was very good in those games, as a 2 ways winger, something you don't see often.

And I don't get the part in the OP that says Eller isn't the real deal when it matters. When it matter its the playoffs and Eller has no problem performing in the playoffs.

Yeah ok let's pretend like DD isn't the only scapegoat on the team year in year out...

:shakehead

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
Would this be better?

Flash - Chuck - Semin
Eller - DD - Weise

No, DD and Fleischmann have very good chemistry. That line should stick.

Eller and Galchenyuk work well together, unfortunately Semin and Eller can't finish and Galchenyuk isn't really making the right decisions, his passes are getting cut off and he's missing the net when he shoots.

That line is very good for possession though.

If the habs start losing and can't score, then maybe make a change; it's pointless now as it's only OCTOBER - chemistry takes time.

Nynja*

I wouldnt tamper w daveys line. They might be the weakest defensively, but theyre not getting burned either over it.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
He has been pretty bad.

I notice Therrien still likes to use him at centre, sometimes after the PP when DD was on the ice, he'll put Eller at centre with Flash and Weise, and I notice sometimes late in games Eller centres that line instead of DD

I mean we need centre down the middle and just keeping Eller as he 3rd line centre would do, but I think we will lose some offense due that move.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
He has been pretty bad.
A little bit of an exaggeration. He was bad yesterday. However, he played very very well in the 7 games before that. But all the playing well means nothing if it doesn't translate to points. I agree that the chances are there, but in the end its goals and assists that matter.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Eller will never please anyone who can't look beyond points, and placing him with Galchenyuk at this point is a neccessity not a luxury. Frankly I'm surprised at your post as you were always one to point out his merits excluding points. If you don't think he is doing what he is mandated to do fine come out and say so, but what ever you do don't base it on points that is NOT why he is on that line. I think he has be fine retrieving pucks and going to the net. He's made some excellents plays that his mates weren't able to convert and with Chucky at 6 points in 8 games with a plus two overall rating everything is just fine.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
A little bit of an exaggeration. He was bad yesterday. However, he played very very well in the 7 games before that. But all the playing well means nothing if it doesn't translate to points. I agree that the chances are there, but in the end its goals and assists that matter.

To be hoenst its not just the points, but they really have not dominated, they don't go up vs other teams top lines or top d-pairs, they are not getting a lot of d-zone starts, and other than the Bruins game where he had both his goals he really hasn't been a factor.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Its actually the wins that matters. He's playing well, doesn't make mistake, is very effective in every other part of the games. If our 2nd line gets harder duty and give our 3rd line more production, then so be it as long as the team is winning.

Like I said, except last game, he's getting many chance. He still have more goals than Semin and Galchenyuk. Are we gonna blame Eller because the two others hasn't found the net as much as we want?

Eller is 1 pt away from getting expected production from him and I can count at least 10 golden scoring chance from him or his linemates. I really don't get why you're losing patience on him.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Its actually the wins that matters. He's playing well, doesn't make mistake, is very effective in every other part of the games. If our 2nd line gets harder duty and give our 3rd line more production, then so be it as long as the team is winning.

Like I said, except last game, he's getting many chance. He still have more goals than Semin and Galchenyuk. Are we gonna blame Eller because the two others hasn't found the net as much as we want?

Eller is 1 pt away from getting expected production from him and I can count at least 10 golden scoring chance from him or his linemates. I really don't get why you're losing patience on him.

So when we won with DD as #1C did you say "it's the wins that matter, who cares about his production"? C'mon.

I agree with you that it's early and one point more and he looks like he's producing well. It's really not a big deal but he's in a top 6 role getting PP time and OZS while playing with 2 highly skilled linemates. The expectations aren't the same as when he was 3rd line C anymore but still they shouldn't be too high or too unfair. He's at a different position and it's early on.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
he didn`t play well last night but still he's been generating chances. That line definitely has been. They just need to pot a few. They might be our weakest line but really they're still quite good.

I'm a huge Eller fan but I still have some questions with him on the 2nd line. I think all in all he's doing a good job. I'd wait to see 10-20 more games to see if that line doesn't continue to produce then maybe something will have to be done.

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
he didn`t play well last night but still he's been generating chances. That line definitely has been. They just need to pot a few. They might be our weakest line but really they're still quite good.

I'm a huge Eller fan but I still have some questions with him on the 2nd line. I think all in all he's doing a good job. I'd wait to see 10-20 more games to see if that line doesn't continue to produce then maybe something will have to be done.

Has already 3 goals with almost no PP time....

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
So when we won with DD as #1C did you say "it's the wins that matter, who cares about his production"? C'mon.

I agree with you that it's early and one point more and he looks like he's producing well. It's really not a big deal but he's in a top 6 role getting PP time and OZS while playing with 2 highly skilled linemates. The expectations aren't the same as when he was 3rd line C anymore but still they shouldn't be too high or too unfair. He's at a different position and it's early on.

Come on... a first center, that plays with the best players, on every PP is quite different than a winger on the 2nd line, that rarely plays on the PP. The situations are different. The importance of a first center producing is much more than a winger on the 2nd line. If DD failed to produce as a first center but the Habs won the cup, then I would have been okay with it. ;)

And like I said, it's not like he's way behind in his expected production. He shouldn't be the scorer on his line, he doesn't play on the PP anymore and yet he's still leading his line on goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad