Elite Players With The Most Drive...

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, still he can look back at his career knowing he gave it all and that he played as much and as good as possible. He didn't leave anything on the table. Must be satisfying. I bet there are quite a few players who reflect on their career thinking they could've done more in various ways.

Some other Swedes would be Alfredsson, Zetterberg and Lidstrom. Tons of drive.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I guess the more interesting question would be which elite-level players lacked drive...

I'm not asking which elite players had drive (obviously they all do/did.) I'm asking about the most drive. It's like asking who has the best stickhandling, shooting, passing, hockey IQ etc out of the elite.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I'm not asking which elite players had drive (obviously they all do/did.) I'm asking about the most drive. It's like asking who has the best stickhandling, shooting, passing, hockey IQ etc out of the elite.

How do you determine this though? What analysis into the psyche of star players determines drive?

Do you have another method? Another way?

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Well to be elite you need drive period.

Weird question

I think he probably means elite talent. To some people the game comes easier to them but they don't love the game and have the same passion for winning as lesser talented players.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Not to disagree with you, but I mean, how do you know that? The guy played 19 seasons, scored 1327 points, and at least in terms of production lived up to his 1st-overall status. How do you know he lacked drive?

I don't. I'm just speculating from what I saw. Only he knows when he gave his all, when his heart was not in it, when his passion started to wane (if it ever did) but yea it's possible to score 1327 points and still be left with a feeling he could've been more. That's how I look at Kovalev. 430 goals and 1000 points. But he could've been better the way I see it.

I look at guys like Wendel Clark. Andreychuk, Ken Linseman, Bob Gainey. They got every last drop out of their careers. Not sure those other guys did

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Didn't Brett Hull, at least in his junior career, have a bigger drive towards the buffet table than the hockey rink?

Also Mario with his smoking and the fact that he never came across as a gym rat.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I'm pretty sure Vincent Lecavalier has a massive car collection, that would give him alot of drive.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Teemu Selänne deserves a mention. Always seemed to come back from injuries, sometimes really serious ones. Played until his mid-40s.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I don't. I'm just speculating from what I saw. Only he knows when he gave his all, when his heart was not in it, when his passion started to wane (if it ever did) but yea it's possible to score 1327 points and still be left with a feeling he could've been more. That's how I look at Kovalev. 430 goals and 1000 points. But he could've been better the way I see it.

I look at guys like Wendel Clark. Andreychuk, Ken Linseman, Bob Gainey. They got every last drop out of their careers. Not sure those other guys did

In terms of points per game, Turgeon is ahead of Bure, Messier, Robitaille, Mogilny, Fedorov, Francis, Fleury, Recchi, Sundin, Gilmour, Roenick and Modano and just barely behind Yzerman, Kariya and Oates between 1989-1990 and 2000-2001.

I'm sure he had a lot of drive when it comes to producing offense - maybe when it came to defending he was lacking drive. Certainly he's not known for his physicality.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
In terms of points per game, Turgeon is ahead of Bure, Messier, Robitaille, Mogilny, Fedorov, Francis, Fleury, Recchi, Sundin, Gilmour, Roenick and Modano and just barely behind Yzerman, Kariya and Oates between 1989-1990 and 2000-2001.

I'm sure he had a lot of drive when it comes to producing offense - maybe when it came to defending he was lacking drive. Certainly he's not known for his physicality.

Neither is Gretzky, would you say #99 lacked drive?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad