Elite Players With The Most Drive...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I guess the more interesting question would be which elite-level players lacked drive...

Well Panther, of course people are going to automatically think that so you should rather start a thread about it rather than derailing this one. Things is, who does one consider "Elite" given the Age of Specialization of the last 30yrs or so... Obviously Gretzky, Kurri, Lemieux etc all had tremendous work ethics but then theres also 2nd, 3rd & 4th liners, Fighters, Backup Goalies & so on with tremendous drive and work ethics (and grit, character).

You dont make it to the NHL without "Drive". Youve heard the expression "Get your Game Face On". Well, just look at the faces out there. All of them have them "On". Thats "Drive". You play the game at any appreciable level your going to be having some serious "Quiet Time" pre-game in a dark room & your going to be going over a full mental check list & preparedness routine breaking down every aspect of your game & that of your opponents known & imagined traits, tactics, techniques. You see it in all elite athletes & sports. Soviets highly advanced since the early 50's. Most noticeable in things like Bobsled, Luge. See the competitors at the start actually physically bending & moving before entering the sled, imagining every move they are about to make but before even that... quiet time.

These pre-game prep techniques are not new however over the past 30yrs or so taught, integrated into Coaching & teaching at the elite amateur through Junior, NCAA, Academy, Minor-Pro & NHL levels as you may well be aware. Helps out tremendously, getting rid of anxieties, jitters, scrubbing the mind clean of other "life stuff" & so on. Totally focused. All kinds of post grad dissertations, thesis, paper's written on it since the mid 70's. Hockey is indeed about 95% mental, 98% if your a Goalie. That mental aspect, thats your Drive. On-board computer. The best know it. Absolutely mandatory. So ya, entirely quantifiable, biographical & anecdotal inf as to which "Elite Players" gave it their all EVERY SHIFT (or game of course if were talking Goalies which would include everything from approach to attitude, fight, leadership qualities, calming effects on their Defence & Forwards, consistency & so on).

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Poor Marcel Dionne.

He's the first player to 5000 shots* (a measure of attempts to score) and since then only Bourque and Jagr have shot more.

A superstar on a middling expansion team in a then-underdeveloped California hockey market.

He gave it his all.

* 4 times 1st, 9 times top 5, without much in way of team assistance in his attempts - he's known for surging up ice and through traffic to the net, and he did it constantly and couldn't even get close to the Stanley Cup finals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Rocket Richard

rocket.jpg

Reactions: The Panther

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Ya, I don’t know how to specify “drive.” For example, Gretzky practice constantly. He was obsessed with getting better and better.....where as Lemieux(early on) wasn’t about consistently practicing or taking care of himself. He relied on his talent, which of course was enough.....I guess you can say he was sort of Lazy with his conditioning, but still delivered game day. Does that qualify as “drive?”

I’m going to put out MSL. Went undrafted, and although a great talent early on, was passed over. He was released from his try out in Ottawa, went to the IHL, was signed by Calgary where he was in and out of the fourth line, only to be dropped from the team. He then signed with Tampa, and the rest of his history.

The little guy wouldn’t give up. Worked his ass off and showed tremendous will power and drive to belong in the league, ultimately ended his career with two scoring titles, a Hart, and stanley cups now he’s in the Hall.

Maybe not the exact criteria the OP was looking for, but thought I’d try.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Back in the 70s, Bobby Clarke was pretty much considered the hardest working player in the business, very surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet as he in many ways epitomized the concept of "drive" in hockey. His legendary drive was considered the primary force that brought the Cup to Philadelphia.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
31 posts and nobody mentioned Steve Yzerman?

Other driven players were Ed Belfour, Pat Verbeek, Doug Gilmore, and Vladimir Konstantinov.

Dominik Hasek is an interesting case. He was so insanely competitive, he wouldn't let his teammates score on him in practice. Yet every now and then he just threw in a towel.

Reactions: Killion

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I work with kids in a different sport, and have had the chance to meet a decent number on NHL players.
I really enjoyed meeting and talking with Cogliano. I asked him advice to pass along to my kids. It was literally a couple days after the Ducks were eliminated a few years back, and his streak was still intact.
He talked about asking a week off and then starting training for the next season after the hat week off. Getting back to work and being focused on improving was what kept him healthy and able to help the team consistently.

There are certainly a lot of players like that, but his desire and passion to always be ready and improve was impressive. It was a fun glimpse

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
An attempt of humor here that will hopefully give me more cheers than vegetables thrown at me.....How about former Devils defenseman Bruce Driver? You want the most Drive? It was the first 5 letters of his last name! Who can top that? *waiting for the crowd's reaction like a first-time stand up comedian at the improv*

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Hasek sleeping under the bench after letting in six goals. Playing pro from 15 to 40 something. OCD about the hockey.
Forsberg, Crosby, Chelios, Lidstrom.
Not Lemieux or Ovie, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad