WJC: Eligible players that didn't play

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
There was a similar thread last year I believe so I don't see your point?

Okay. The point is last year the thread appeared before the WJC.

Shockingly enough this thread appeared just an hour or so after Canada lost the gold. Do you see my point?

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Okay. The point is last year the thread appeared before the WJC.

Shockingly enough this thread appeared just an hour or so after Canada lost the gold. Do you see my point?

I'm sure there would be no thread like this had the US lost and 8 American players were playing in the NHL, right?:shakehead

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
There probably would be and that person would be marginalizing just like you guys are.

Its marginalizing, but its also true. You don't just take eight the best players away and expect an equally strong team. The fact is, if Canada had all its players, this wouldn't even have been a tournament, every team we faced would have been like Latvia.

Last edited:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
There probably would be and that person would be marginalizing just like you guys are.

It's pointing out a fact, it's that simple, there's nothing sinister about it.

Just like there's no problem pointing out that most of the American players have played, lived, gone to school and socialized with each other while on the Under 17 and Under 18 teams.

Imagine if all countries could afford to do that...too bad the NHL only donates money to USA hockey huh?

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
It's pointing out a fact, it's that simple, there's nothing sinister about it.

Just like there's no problem pointing out that most of the American players have played, lived, gone to school and socialized with each other while on the Under 17 and Under 18 teams.

Imagine if all countries could afford to do that...too bad the NHL only donates money to USA hockey huh?

USA hockey is the biggest developmental program in the states its also privately run and a non-profit organization.

Most of the development in Canada is done through the junior leagues. You don't think the CHL gets some serious paper from the NHL?

NHL just wants to grow the game.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

If there were a "WJC Break"...

... Like they have in the NHL... and all elligable players could play for their respective teams... What would they have looked like?

Canada would have gained Duchene, Tavares, and O'Reilly... What else?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
... Like they have in the NHL... and all elligable players could play for their respective teams... What would they have looked like?

Canada would have gained Duchene, Tavares, and O'Reilly... What else?
Is that anything like, ïf pigs could fly"?

Masochist Caniac

Because at some point you learn to love the pain
Apr 28, 2009
Toronto, CAN
John Tavares, Matt Duchene, Evander Kane, Ryan O’Reilly, Tyler Myers, Michael Del Zotto, Steven Stamkos and James Wright.

Masochist Caniac

Because at some point you learn to love the pain
Apr 28, 2009
Toronto, CAN
Its marginalizing, but its also true. You don't just take eight the best players away and expect an equally strong team. The fact is, if Canada had all its players, this wouldn't even have been a tournament, every team we faced would have been like Latvia.

Ugh, we lost, it sucks but stop making an ass of Canadians. We didn't lose by a lucky bounce, we were severely out played and did this typical, 50 minutes of slack and 10 minute hustle. Every year we lose good players but so does everyone else. People don't suddenly think "ZOMG USA = HOCKEY MECCA LOLOLOLOLOL", we won 5 in a row. We have better depth than anyone else in the world, everyone knows it. Stop crying over a loss and be like everyone else and reasonably ask for the beheading of Desjardin.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Ugh, we lost, it sucks but stop making an ass of Canadians. We didn't lose by a lucky bounce, we were severely out played and did this typical, 50 minutes of slack and 10 minute hustle. Every year we lose good players but so does everyone else. People don't suddenly think "ZOMG USA = HOCKEY MECCA LOLOLOLOLOL", we won 5 in a row. We have better depth than anyone else in the world, everyone knows it. Stop crying over a loss and be like everyone else and reasonably ask for the beheading of Desjardin.

I'm not mad about the loss, I was really proud of our team, I think they did a great job. This loss didn't come down to one player or a move by a coach or anything, we were in the gold medal game in overtime, one shot away from victory, there is nothing to be ashamed of.

The USA had a great team, it probably was better than Team Canada, I think if they played 100 times, it would be close to a 50-50 series, if I were them I would be proud too.

But that doesn't change a single thing I said in the post you quoted.

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
Lots of D from Pietrangelo's class - Doughty, Schenn, Myers, Del Zotto. Not sure they would all be eligible depending on the month they were born.

Alfredsson11

Nov 11, 2008
Duh... Didn't take a close look and just assumed Patrick Kane (I know he is American), but as I said didn't look very close before posting.

Kane didn't provide a lot in last years tourny, but he was only 17.

As the tournament went on, Kane got very good and picked up his game

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Russia was also missing Kugryshev, Avtsyn, and Ostapchuk for various reasons.

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
Add Scott Glennie, Schenn's linemate, had it not been for his concussion he would be there

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
nevermind

i thought jamie benn was still eligible. apparently not

Last edited:

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Teemu Pulkkinen injured but perhaps, coulda played on team Finland.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
First of all, Americans played a great game and deserved to win the game...BUT Canada was missing 8 or 9 players that would've been on the team compared to USA's 1.

Could you imagine this line-up?

Evander Kane - John Tavares - Taylor Hall
Brayden Schenn- Steven Stamkos - Ryan O' Reilly
Jordan Eberle - Cody Hodgson - Matt Duchene
Brandon McMillan - Patrice Cormier - Stefan Della Rovere

Tyler Myers - Michael Del Zotto
Alex Pietrangelo - Ryan Ellis
Travis Hamonic - Marco Scandella
Colten Teubert

Jake Allen
Martin Jones

Bolded players didn't play in the Finals.

No offense to any other team, but they would KILL every team. A team with Tavares, Stamkos and Hodgson as there top three centers. :amazed:

Prolific18

Jan 1, 2007
First of all, Americans played a great game and deserved to win the game...BUT Canada was missing 8 or 9 players that would've been on the team compared to USA's 1.

Could you imagine this line-up?

Evander Kane - John Tavares - Taylor Hall
Brayden Schenn- Steven Stamkos - Ryan O' Reilly
Jordan Eberle - Cody Hodgson - Matt Duchene
Brandon McMillan - Patrice Cormier - Stefan Della Rovere

Tyler Myers - Michael Del Zotto
Alex Pietrangelo - Ryan Ellis
Travis Hamonic - Marco Scandella
Colten Teubert

Jake Allen
Martin Jones

Bolded players didn't play in the Finals.

No offense to any other team, but they would KILL every team. A team with Tavares, Stamkos and Hodgson as there top three centers. :amazed:

OH mama don't you cry!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad