WJC: Eligible players that didn't play

PP Subban

Nov 9, 2006
I was just curious(not trying to make excuses). Can someone tell me which players were eligible but didnt play for teams like Canada, USA, Sweden or Russia due to playing in the NHL or injuries.

Canada:
Duchene
Hodgson
Tavares
Stamkos
O'Reilly
Del Zotto
Kane

Russia:
Loktionov
Voinov
Grachev
Klementyev
Kabanov
Kulikov

Sweden:
Karlsson
Hedman

USA:
Bogosian

am i missing anyone from those two?

What about other teams?

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
Well he is still 18.

Duh... Didn't take a close look and just assumed Patrick Kane (I know he is American), but as I said didn't look very close before posting.

Kane didn't provide a lot in last years tourny, but he was only 17.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Ah, my bad then. I just figured 08 draft picks could play.

No. Usually it is the case, but remember the age cutoff is Sept 15, not Jan 1. Thus guys like L Schenn, Doughty, Tavares, Hall play 3 years of junior before being drafted. Thats why Hall and Fowler can way shields instead of cages despite being draft eligable

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Duh... Didn't take a close look and just assumed Patrick Kane (I know he is American), but as I said didn't look very close before posting.

Kane didn't provide a lot in last years tourny, but he was only 17.

Kane didnt provide a lot in last years tourny? You clearly never watched, because he was the best checking fwd on the team, as well as 6 points in 6 games as a 17 year old...not bad for a guy who was originally cut from the team.(replaced injured Dana Tyrell)
Under your standards, what was it, that he failed to provide?
Because he was the star on his WHL team, and put into a checking role because of Canada's depth. He PROVIDED everything the coaches asked of him, plus a point a game. Oh yea, and hes in the NHL this year....not because of his offense, but because even as a rookie, he can fill a role at a NHL level.

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
Kane didnt provide a lot in last years tourny? You clearly never watched, because he was the best checking fwd on the team, as well as 6 points in 6 games as a 17 year old...not bad for a guy who was originally cut from the team.(replaced injured Dana Tyrell)
Under your standards, what was it, that he failed to provide?
Because he was the star on his WHL team, and put into a checking role because of Canada's depth. He PROVIDED everything the coaches asked of him, plus a point a game. Oh yea, and hes in the NHL this year....not because of his offense, but because even as a rookie, he can fill a role at a NHL level.

3 points against Germany and Kazakhstan and an empty net assist against the States.... not exactly great by my standards. Besides his hitting was nothing special - I think he was only 165lbs at the time. A year can make a huge difference and of course I think he would have done well at this years tournament, as he is scoring at the NHL level. But again when the team scores 15 goals against one opponent, it is not exactly top competition.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Canada was missing 8 in the NHL, and Hodgson to injury.

Kane, Duschene, Tavares, Stamkos, Wright, O'Reilly, Del Zotto, Myers.

Mr Lahey*

I love all the "predictable" comments.

Just a little pride in our development program, I don't see a problem with he thread.

Kane was awesome last year. Seeing him at ice level I was very impressed with his checking.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I love all the "predictable" comments.

Just a little pride in our development program, I don't see a problem with he thread.

Kane was awesome last year. Seeing him at ice level I was very impressed with his checking.

Because this thread would not have existed if you guys won the gold.

Typical marginalization.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

How do you know?

Even if you're right, who cares.

Canada had 8 players that were eligible, I see no problem with pointing that out.

Just like I don't see no problem pointing out that the US has a great National Team Development Program.

GeneralSwell

Oct 3, 2008

Typical marginalization.

So what? -Most- of us congratulated the States for winning gold. They played a hell of a game, and deserved to win both games against Canada as far as I am concerned.

But at the same time, there's no denying that Canada was capable of sending a much stronger team had their top players not been busy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad