Player Discussion Elias Pettersson - Second Half Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Just because you don't understand doesn't make it a conspiracy theory but thanks for your input.

That's a rude thing to say. Elaborate for me.

Why would Pettersson purposely play poorly and jeopardize his career and earnings as an athlete?

And I don't want to get it twisted. Of course his play could have been struggling because of a sour relationship with management. Players are human after all and there are many variables that can affect a player's ability. But you insinuate Pettersson did this purposely and I find that rhetoric extremely far-fetched.

There's a massive difference between a player struggling and being distracted compared to a player purposely tanking his season in an elaborate plot to get management fired. But if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, please go ahead and explain for me.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
That's a rude thing to say. Elaborate for me.

Why would Pettersson purposely play poorly and jeopardize his career and earnings as an athlete?

And I don't want to get it twisted. Of course his play could have been struggling because of a sour relationship with management. Players are human after all and there are many variables that can affect a player's ability. But you insinuate Pettersson did this purposely and I find that rhetoric extremely far-fetched.

There's a massive difference between a player struggling and being distracted compared to a player purposely tanking his season in an elaborate plot to get management fired. But if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, please go ahead and explain for me

The only people that are risking Peteys career is Jimbo and the gang.

Petey knows his worth and what his value is. He knows how ducking entertaining he can be and how continuing to perform like a dancing monkey serves nobody.

We have no clue what it likes to have ones career held hostage by the dumbest managers on gods green earth.

We don’t have any idea what it feels like to have ones idiot boss catastrophically and consistently nerf ones team by subtracting Tanev, Edler and Schmidt and adding Myers, OEL and Poolman.

We have no idea why Petey consolidated agents with Quinn (For leverage and protection because management are a bunch of lying f***ers saying different things to different players).

Proper analysis of the Canucks requires an immense amount of reading between the lines to analyze organizational behaviour and this is because all the stupid shit that has occurred is the result of not having an adult in charge (Gillis/Gilman).

Every ducking day Jimbo was ‘GMing’ and Greener was coaching was a career wasting day for everyone and this season our core decided to do something about it.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The only people that are risking Peteys career is Jimbo and the gang.

Petey knows his worth and what his value is. He knows how ducking entertaining he can be and how continuing to perform like a dancing monkey serves nobody.

We have no clue what it likes to have ones career held hostage by the dumbest managers on gods green earth.

We don’t have any idea what it feels like to have ones idiot boss catastrophically and consistently nerf ones team by subtracting Tanev, Edler and Schmidt and adding Myers, OEL and Poolman.

We have no idea why Petey consolidated agents with Quinn (For leverage and protection because management are a bunch of lying f***ers saying different things to different players).

Proper analysis of the Canucks requires an immense amount of reading between the lines to analyze organizational behaviour and this is because all the stupid shit that has occurred is the result of not having an adult in charge (Gillis/Gilman).

Every ducking day Jimbo was ‘GMing’ and Greener was coaching was a career wasting day for everyone and this season our core decided to do something about it.

This doesn't answer for why an athlete would purposely tank his performance. It just speculates that all these distractions played a role in why Petey was playing poorly. Those are very different.

Reactions: Strangelove

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
This doesn't answer for why an athlete would purposely tank his performance. It just speculates that all these distractions played a role in why Petey was playing poorly. Those are very different.
Organizational behaviour / group dynamics answers your question.

Hockey is a team sport.

You win as a team and lose as a team.

To truly win, one needs to be able to invest-focus ones positive emotion and energy completely and fully into one’s team.

This applies equally on a hockey team and in a call center.

If a help desk worker likes and trusts their ceo and manager to make their company successful than that worker is going to answer those phones like a champ.

On the other hand, if the ceo was an outright moron and the coo a crook and together they had been mistreating the help desk workers friends during their contract negotiations…. Well then f*** the ceo and everyone else… that worker is gonna answer as little calls as possible and tank customer sat.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
IMHO the Canucks had no option but to ride out Petterson's struggles and hope he bounced back. If he bounced back you have a potential 1C and you can build a team around that. If you trade him you are back to the tanking rebuild and off to the draft looking to draft a 1C.
I thought thats what people on the trade EP wagon wanted, to tank and rebuild.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
As to whether this is the best Petey has ever been, I definitely think it is. His rookie season was great but most of his dominance was early when other teams weren't bearing down on him, and he slowed significantly in the latter part of the year.

The only competition is if the bubble was the best hes been, and certainly the way he handled playoff contact and was effective at both ends of the ice was outstanding for a smallish young player.

Right now hes producing at his best rate since his rookie season against teams that have him fully scouted, are fully settled into their systems, and in many cases are still fighting for the playoffs. Hes been putting up 2pts and a goal per game since Allvin said we have no superstars.

Everyone's hope is, of course, that he can play at this level for a whole season with some consistency. Put up 100 ish points or so and become the top player we know he can be.

Reactions: bh53 and mossey3535

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Organizational behaviour / group dynamics answers your question.

Hockey is a team sport.

You win as a team and lose as a team.

To truly win, one needs to be able to invest-focus ones positive emotion and energy completely and fully into one’s team.

This applies equally on a hockey team and in a call center.

If a help desk worker likes and trusts their ceo and manager to make their company successful than that worker is going to answer those phones like a champ.

On the other hand, if the ceo was an outright moron and the coo a crook and together they had been mistreating the help desk workers friends during their contract negotiations…. Well then f*** the ceo and everyone else… that worker is gonna answer as little calls as possible and tank customer sat.
So he has character issues then?

True professionals don't mail it in, even if they disagree with management. Maybe some minimum wage slave at a call center might do that but anyone who has any modicum of professionalism and works in an industry that isn't fast food or answering phone calls would not jeopardize their career in this way. If I had a colleague or report who was slagging off, all the while collecting their hefty paycheque, I would not stand for that kind of chickenshit behavior. It might be acceptable to play guessing games about it on a hockey forum but that doesn't fly in the real world, where reputations matter.

But I don't think this is the case with Pettersson. At least, I sure as hell hope not.

Last edited:

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
What was I saying?

Ahh yes.

Petey was taking one for the team.

And Bo as well.

And they were. Shittiest Canucks hockey was played. Jerseys were tossed. Fire Benning was chanted. Morons were shitcanned.

I didn’t even watch the festivities due to how disgusted I was with the team.

Never gave up on Petey though because I knew exactly what he was doing and HAD been doing since last season’s injury and his refusal to play hockey despite reports of him being healthy.
What an absolutely bizarre conspiracy theory. Where do you people come up with this?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
So he has character issues then?

True professionals don't mail it in, even if they disagree with management. Maybe some minimum wage slave at a call center might do that but anyone who has any modicum of professionalism and works in an industry that isn't fast food or answering phone calls would not jeopardize their career in this way. If I had a colleague or report who was slagging off, all the while collecting their hefty paycheque, I would not stand for that kind of chickenshit behavior. It might be acceptable to play guessing games about it on a hockey forum but that doesn't fly in the real world, where reputations matter.

But I don't think this is the case with Pettersson. At least, I sure as hell hope not.
Professionals recognize when their bosses are f***ing morons and they do something about it.

You may be ok to be managed by a moron but I definitely am not.

You wouldn't stand for this kind of chickenshit behavior?

Your attitude is usually the type to CAUSE this type of passive aggressive behavior in the real world.

You know what else is in the real world?

Tyler Myers on our blue line and not Chris Tanev.

Reactions: bh53

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Well when he said he wasn’t sure he was going to be here after his next contract because he wants to win said all you needed to know about his thoughts on management. Lol

Reactions: vanuck

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Well hopefully, he'll show up for more than half the games next season..?

Why? Would you? If dim went up to you and said we need you to put this square large peg into this small round hole would you put a lot of effort into it? Of course you wouldn’t. You would put in just enough to keep your value high. He knows this team sucks and will most likely suck by the end of his contract.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why? Would you? If dim went up to you and said we need you to put this square large peg into this small round hole would you put a lot of effort into it? Of course you wouldn’t. You would put in just enough to keep your value high. He knows this team sucks and will most likely suck by the end of his contract.
So he was purposefully sabotaging his own career to spite a GM (now deposed) ....and will continue to do so till the end of his contract?

That is a very odd take..?

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
So he was purposefully sabotaging his own career to spite a GM (now deposed) ....and will continue to do so till the end of his contract?

That is a very odd take..?

No, he isn’t going to try to squeeze water out of a rock. He knows he can’t carry the team on his shoulders if Mcmuffin can’t even carry a superior oilers team by himself.

So he’s just going to wait until we have a proper team in place before he takes it seriously . He’s not leading a knife team into a gun fight until he has guns and a proper army. And in the mean time he’s just looking out for himself. And I don’t blame him.

Last edited:
Reactions: mathonwy

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I tend to lean towards mathonwy's line of thinking as well. I have no confidence about whether or not that actually happened with Pettersson (I'd be lying if I said the thought never crossed my mind-- I do think it's a possibility), but the fact that that type of thing has always been characterized as "character issues" has always rubbed me the wrong way. I felt similarly about how the circumstances of Bure's exit was characterized by a lot of people. Calling it a conspiracy theory is still fair, though, as there isn't direct evidence of it, and conspiracy theories are not inherently untrue.

That said, I do not support the normalization of using the word "ducking" in place of expletives. So it's a mixed bag, really.

Last edited:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I seriously wonder what type of career some of you are in that you think it's okay to half-ass your effort, just because you don't agree with management. I've worked for some horrible leaders, from completely incompetent buffoons to psychopaths at the top of their field (including a producer who I would later find out had allegedly broke his assistant's hands with a laptop). But I didn't just mail it in, as that would be a disservice to both myself and the rest of my colleagues (and reputations can be broken inside of a second in my industry). Instead, I continued to give everything I had and it resulted in me fast-tracking myself to a dream career.

I just don't see how an elite athlete like Pettersson would throw in the towel, just because his team is mis-managed. First of all, there's personal pride. Secondly, you have a commitment to your teammates and the fans who cheer you on (and pay your salary). Did McDavid, MacKinnon, Barkov, Huberdeau, etc. do the same, before their teams were able to climb out of the cellar? Yes, Petey is human and I could see Benning/Green's faults throwing him off his game but not to the extent that he would purposely play like it's late night beer league. And I am absolutely gobsmacked that someone could excuse this purported behavior.

Last edited:

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I seriously wonder what type of career some of you are in that you think it's okay to half-ass your effort, just because you don't agree with management. I've worked for some horrible leaders, from completely incompetent buffoons to psychopaths at the top of their field (including a producer who I would later find out had allegedly broke his assistant's hands with a laptop). But I didn't just mail it in, as that would be a disservice to both myself and the rest of my colleagues (and reputations can be broken inside of a second in my industry). Instead, I continued to give everything I had and it resulted in me fast-tracking myself to a dream career.

I just don't see how an elite athlete like Pettersson would throw in the towel, just because his team is mis-managed. First of all, there's personal pride. Secondly, you have a commitment to your teammates and the fans who cheer you on (and pay your salary). Did McDavid, MacKinnon, Barkov, Huberdeau, etc. do the same, before their teams were able to climb out of the cellar? Yes, Petey is human and I could see Benning/Green's faults throwing him off his game but not to the extent that he would purposely play like it's late night beer league. And I am absolutely gobsmacked that someone could excuse this purported behavior.

There's zero possibility Pettersson purposely tanked his season and play to get management fired. Like literally zero. It's a philosophy that has as little logic and legs as flat Earth'ers.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
On top of everything else....how would Petey know he could get Benning canned just by playing like shit for part of a season?. Benning was the incompetent GM of the Canucks for many many bad seasons.

Reactions: Nucks4Life

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
He said it was his wrist, which makes sense because we knew his wrist got hurt last season and he never returned, and he didn't immediately bounce back after the firing. In some ways it's worse that it was his wrist because the wrist has been a longstanding problem and you worry it's going to be a chronic problem.

I was never on board with trading him because I still think that if you trade him then you need to do a full rebuild. But I don't think we're in the clear yet. I'd like to see a full healthy season, or at least a full season of no wrist issues.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Why would it be hard to understand that discontent within a organization can put employees in a bad head space that does not optimize performance. How else would people explain the bumps in play from a new coach.

I dont think it was a conspired effort or a lack of professionalism (off season training and preparation was a problem) that brought key players like Horvat Boeser and Pettersson to have horrible first halves but the roster moves that kept happening were affecting the chemistry in the room, on the ice and the lack of guidance and leadership from the top down was leaving players to their own devices confused and unhappy against teams that were firing on all cylinders and all on the same page.

You can't just dismiss Schmidt Edler Holtby's comments. Stecher Toffoli Tanev MacEwen. The body language, Miller popping off. I mean did you really think Miller was being his best version of himself when 20/21 started?? Like how many people here were sick of his antics at the time.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

Nhl player isn’t real world

They’re way above us and the rules don’t really apply

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Why would it be hard to understand that discontent within a organization can put employees in a bad head space that does not optimize performance. How else would people explain the bumps in play from a new coach.

I dont think it was a conspired effort or a lack of professionalism (off season training and preparation was a problem) that brought key players like Horvat Boeser and Pettersson to have horrible first halves but the roster moves that kept happening were affecting the chemistry in the room, on the ice and the lack of guidance and leadership from the top down was leaving players to their own devices confused and unhappy against teams that were firing on all cylinders and all on the same page.

You can't just dismiss Schmidt Edler Holtby's comments. Stecher Toffoli Tanev MacEwen. The body language, Miller popping off. I mean did you really think Miller was being his best version of himself when 20/21 started?? Like how many people here were sick of his antics at the time.

NO ONE has said that the team's horrible management hasn't had an effect on the players. Every single poster has said or alluded to the fact that there were many large distractions that can negatively effect players - they are human.

What's being debated is that players deliberately or purposely played poorly to have management fired.

So like....try again? Read the posts thoroughly no one has disagreed with what you're saying.

Reactions: geebster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad