Dreger: Elias Pettersson + Quinn Hughes | PART 2 : Final Countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Yawn! This is getting old. Figure it out and let’s go!

No way this gets resolved before Hamonic situation which will come to an end tomorrow thankfully.

Brisson is waiting to see if Canucks will get the extra 3m cap space if Hamonic opts out tomorrow.

That can be a difference between bridging EP or singing him long term.

If Hamonic does opt out:

Benning should use 2 mil and see if he can add it on top of his latest offer to Hughes and Pettersson and hopefully make it a long term deal.

Then use 1 mil to sign a depth R-Dman like Jason Demers

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
a Dman who cant play D?

serious question, what are you basing this on? Last years Covid year?

His first full rookie season he was fine defensively and in the playoffs he was awesome. Hughes was playing 20+ minutes a night and was never considered a liability or had to be benched against heavy teams like Minny, St Louis and Vegas.

for comparison,

In you opinion can Dahlin play Defence?

Dahlin is a career -56

Yet for some weird reason, I dont hear the same narrative with Dahlin that he cant play defence.

I think the lack of defence for Hughes has been great exaggerated especially considering he hasnt had a consistent D partner for more than 1 season at a time.

Is he going to ever be a defensive horse, no,

but you live with it because what he gives you when he has the puck on his stick is at an elite elite level.
He also had Tanev as his partner to cover most of his defensive shortcomings. Reminds me of how Marc Methot covered for Karlsson, allowing him to be everywhere on the ice.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Gotta wonder how Dreger comes in minutes after Drance and pretends like it’s his own info…. Bush league by Dregs

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
He also had Tanev as his partner to cover most of his defensive shortcomings. Reminds me of how Marc Methot covered for Karlsson, allowing him to be everywhere on the ice.

thats fine. Tanev's and Methots are dime a dozen.

Hughes type are rare.

Canuck nation was ready to offload Tanev for a bag of pucks in the 2 previous deadlines before Hughes came.

It came as no accident that Hughes had one of the highest possesion numbers and coincidently Tanev played one of his healthier seasons in his career. Coaches say all the time " Best defence is a great offence"

Hughes having the puck on his stick allowed Tanev to take less hits and have to block less shots.

I do agree that a stay at home defensive partner would be great for Hughes. If we dont get that guy in free agency or trade then I have high hopes for Jett Woo in the system.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
What are you even talking about ? Bo Horvat’s defensive game is overrated because he’s too slow. Petey, in his first season played a better all round game than Horvat . It isn’t even close

Horvat better than Petey is something no one said ever if they actually watch them play . Horvat won’t shut down Petey

This is ridiculous. There’s a reason Petey starts double the amount in the O-zone and doesn’t go against top comp. saying he was better defensively in his first game is laughable.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
who cares, he plays like 30 games a year and is turning 32 yrs old this year.
Canucks would have been foolish to give him that contract.

Yet Canucks are paying both Myers and OEL for season into their late mid to late thirties?

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Well I'm glad Jim and their agent can finally get working on this before they suck all the life and excitement out of this season.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
thats fine. Tanev's and Methots are dime a dozen.

Hughes type are rare.

Canuck nation was ready to offload Tanev for a bag of pucks in the 2 previous deadlines before Hughes came.

It came as no accident that Hughes had one of the highest possesion numbers and coincidently Tanev played one of his healthier seasons in his career. Coaches say all the time " Best defence is a great offence"

Hughes having the puck on his stick allowed Tanev to take less hits and have to block less shots.

I do agree that a stay at home defensive partner would be great for Hughes. If we dont get that guy in free agency or trade then I have high hopes for Jett Woo in the system.

Come on man, I get you’re trying to make a point, but cut the hyperbole—neither of the bolded are true, and you’re speaking about a minority of Canucks fans.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I think this has a chance to get announced by tonight.

I'm hoping one of them is long term contract as that would greatly benefit the Canucks in the future.

Could see why both would wanna maximize their earnings though and bridge first.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Myers isn't half the defensemen Tanev is. Opposition forwards salivate when they see him.

I thought the guy you quoted was being sarcastic....

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad