Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Calder Trophy winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I can see him having one of the top Sh% in the league during his career but 20% is ridiculously high. Of active players the highest today is Stamkos at 16.7% and he's a percentage point above the next tier of guys. 20% is like multiple standard deviations above the the average, it would be one of the craziest stats in sports history if that happened.
Yes, we all know that, but have you ever seen a guy have this as a half rookie season? He has produced more highlight reels than most respectable players have over a career. Even for stars this is the full video of their rookie season.

I love statistics. I love standard deviations. But when I watch Pettersson, how is his shot going to drop that much when he's still practicing at it, when he consistently rips goals in the top corner of the net? And yeah, this is his rookie season. The only problem is, he did it a ton in Allsvenskan, SHL and the SHL playoffs as well, but that doesn't count. His shooting percentage has always been abnormally high in his professional career, but then again, isn't he abnormal?

I've never seen anyone play like he does. I saw someone laugh at one of the team keywords all players saw entering the locker room, playing for Växjö in SHL. "Humble swagger." "Haha", the poster laughed, "that's ridiculous". Well, watch Pettersson play and you will get the definition of humble swagger. He plays really, really good, but he's very humble about it and he's not satisfied staying at that level.

I still have an official bet for 500 bananas Pettersson will stay above 20%+ in shooting percentage. Because he's Pettersson, he defies statistics.

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Mario makes mine. I don't think having more than one generational players in an era is problem as that is offset by the fact some eras can have none. The generational players need to be a tier better than anybody else.

Depends on how you define "a generation". Most accept 20 years. In my 60 years, the 3 overlapped. Gretzky, Orr and Lemieux.

My next group is Howe, Hull, Jagr, McDavid, bossy, Lidstrom, selanne. Maybe OV and Crosby as well.

I expect McDavid to be generational.

I hope that EP joins that second group.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Just heard this, it should be ep40's goal song, It's some old techno from 1999, the year the Alien was born.
Eat Static - The Alien Eps (1999)

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The non-hockey definition of generational is "once in a generation".

Bobby Orr & Wayner are the only guys I'd definitively put on that last.

Mario makes mine. I don't think having more than one generational players in an era is problem as that is offset by the fact some eras can have none. The generational players need to be a tier better than anybody else.

I think it's sort of devolved into best of a generation

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
How did "generational" devolve into best players of their generation?

Would you prefer if it meant best 5 players in the NHL right now?

Because it used to mean a once in a generation player. Now it means the top tier players of each generation

I don't prefer either way, I'm just pointing out that the term "generational player" has changed over the years.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Hope he continues to shoot as much as he has this past week so we can end this shooting percentage crap as soon as possible. An assist and 4 shots on goal tonight please.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
His s% will fall next season just because goalie coaches & goalies will have video of his tendencies to work on.

Taking nothing away from EP, he is truely exceptional and I wouldnt be at all surprised if he cheats usual statistical regression to the mean.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
How is McDavid on this list? He hasn't even played a half of a generation, nor has he done anything particularly great.

2 Art Ross in his first 2 full years isn't particularly great? Are you serious? There's only 14 other players in NHL history who have managed to win 2+ Art Ross in their entire careers, and this guy has put his name on that list before his ELC expired, and you're going to tell me he hasn't done anything particularly great?

He could do nothing else of note for his entire career and he'd still be a first ballot hall of famer. His trophy case already has Art Ross x 2, Lindsay x 2, Hart.

The fact that the Oilers are absolutely abysmal and he plays for a divisional rival does absolutely nothing to diminish how unbelievably spectacular his first few years have been.

Honest M

May 11, 2012
Depends on how you define "a generation". Most accept 20 years. In my 60 years, the 3 overlapped. Gretzky, Orr and Lemieux.

My next group is Howe, Hull, Jagr, McDavid, bossy, Lidstrom, selanne. Maybe OV and Crosby as well.

I expect McDavid to be generational.

I hope that EP joins that second group.

How is Selanne in that group and maybe Ovie and Crosby what a joke :eek:

Selanne had a great carrier and produced until retired at 44 or something, thats pretty impressive but generational doesn't equal "old guy but still good" he was newer the best player in the league during hes career. Ovie and Crosby are far ahead of him.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
How is Selanne in that group and maybe Ovie and Crosby what a joke :eek:

Selanne had a great carrier and produced until retired at 44 or something, thats pretty impressive but generational doesn't equal "old guy but still good" he was newer the best player in the league during hes career. Ovie and Crosby are far ahead of him.

His 76 goals and 132 points as 23 year old rookie will never be repeated. Sorry, neither Ovie or Crosby came close, though there is an argument to adjust the metrics based on the time that they played. I think he should be included in that "almost generational" group, you do not. His numbers are impressive, as are both Ovie's and Crosby's.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The idea that because we arbitrarily came up with this term (one no one ever used regularly before, like, the 2010s no less) that there is a quota on who can be in the uppermost echelon of the game at any point in time... well it’s pretty silly.

Imagine the Sedins reached Crosby levels and we were like “Nope, sorry, can only be one of ya... the rules and all.”

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Honest M

May 11, 2012
His 76 goals and 132 points as 23 year old rookie will never be repeated. Sorry, neither Ovie or Crosby came close, though there is an argument to adjust the metrics based on the time that they played. I think he should be included in that "almost generational" group, you do not. His numbers are impressive, as are both Ovie's and Crosby's.

So your argument is, if you as a fully developed 23 years old rookie ends up 5th in scoring equals " almost generational" and ahead of Ovie and Crosby.. ok...

U have some finnish background maybe :), how ever you are entitled to your opinion but i don't agree

Last edited:
Reactions: Disappointed EP40

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Because it used to mean a once in a generation player. Now it means the top tier players of each generation

I don't prefer either way, I'm just pointing out that the term "generational player" has changed over the years.

Wow .... this is almost a quote of my earlier post on this thread.

We're on the same side.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
His s% will fall next season just because goalie coaches & goalies will have video of his tendencies to work on.

Taking nothing away from EP, he is truely exceptional and I wouldnt be at all surprised if he cheats usual statistical regression to the mean.
Coach: "Goalie, cover both top corners at all times. Then you have him."
Goalie: "What?"
Coach: "Yes, that is his weakness! Skaters, on defense, stay close to him, but not too close, because then he will make you look silly. So leave a gap, unless it's the wrong time to do it."
Skaters: "What?"
Coach: "Yes, exactly, you just have to outsmart him and keep up with his skating. Just keep him at the perfect distance at all times and contain him when you have the upper hand!"

Not even Pettersson knows what he's thinking, he just does it. Good luck reading that. ;) I have a feeling his second season won't be a sophomore season.
Wow .... this is almost a quote of my earlier post on this thread.

We're on the same side.
Of course it has changed! Gone are the days with bottom 6 lines gliding around on the leather of their skates, drafting defensemen who could only turn one way, chain smoking and drinking beer during intermissions, dynasties vs clown teams, etc. No one can ever dominate like the old generational players did. It's a very competitive league now, even fourth liners know how to - and can - play very effective hockey, all players wear helmets, defensemen know how to defend and goalies know how to stop a puck, very effectively. And it's no longer an all Canadian league filled with half amateurs.

It's either changing the definition or retiring the entire word.

Last edited:

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
2 Art Ross in his first 2 full years isn't particularly great? Are you serious? There's only 14 other players in NHL history who have managed to win 2+ Art Ross in their entire careers, and this guy has put his name on that list before his ELC expired, and you're going to tell me he hasn't done anything particularly great?

He could do nothing else of note for his entire career and he'd still be a first ballot hall of famer. His trophy case already has Art Ross x 2, Lindsay x 2, Hart.

The fact that the Oilers are absolutely abysmal and he plays for a divisional rival does absolutely nothing to diminish how unbelievably spectacular his first few years have been.

Eh tune it down a bit. McDavid is a great player perhaps even generational. The latter remains to be seen though, farting his way to 5 point's margins Art Ross's while being on the ice for half the games and no real competetion for the trophy ain't gonna cut it. His first years are no better than Crosby's first years so I don't find them very unbelieveable.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Easily the best player ever in the Canucks org. Yes I'm prepared to say that at age 20. Bure was different but Pete is clearly a level ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad