Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Calder Trophy winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I think Petey will be better than Matthews but not Mcdavid.

Agreed.

I love Pettersson but absolutely NO ONE is going to touch McDavid.

In the future, I think EP will have a great chance of being the 2nd best forward (and possible 2nd overall best player) in the league.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Hot take prediction..

Pettersson will average above 20% in shooting accuracy for his career.

I don't care if the stats say his shooting percentage isn't sustainable.. he's just in a different league than everyone when it comes to his skill set.

I can see him having one of the top Sh% in the league during his career but 20% is ridiculously high. Of active players the highest today is Stamkos at 16.7% and he's a percentage point above the next tier of guys. 20% is like multiple standard deviations above the the average, it would be one of the craziest stats in sports history if that happened.

Reactions: Grantham

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Hughes is one of the elements Petterson needs to get into max production. Gretzky had Coffey. Sedins had Ehrhoff and Salo in their peak years.

One of the advantages of Coffey was that he enabled Oiler set plays on the rush. Coffey could carry or hold the puck as long as the Oilers needed. Coffey's ability to pass made the Oilers a threat from any place on the ice.

Another thing a Coffey equipped team could do was use an enforcer on wing or defence. or, both. Coffey gives it to Gretzky or Kurri. Gretzky and Kurri use Coffey as the second pass option throughout creating cycle. An enforcer can go to the net or guard the point with little performance loss.

Canucks, IMO, will follow the traditional model in some fashion. Hughes and Petterson will have Gudbranson or Virtanen with them.

Reactions: theoriginalBCF

LeafMaple

Feb 3, 2019
Amazing talent the canucks have, could be a generational player depending on what you consider a generational player( I consider Matthews a generational player)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Amazing talent the canucks have, could be a generational player depending on what you consider a generational player( I consider Matthews a generational player)
I get into debates about this all the time...I don't think Matthews is a generational player (and neither is Pettersson)..

To me..its a player that has impacted the game as a whole..and in the last 50 years there's only been 5 players

Orr
Gretzky

Lemeuix
Crosby
McDavid.

Reactions: Grantham

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Canucks, IMO, will follow the traditional model in some fashion. Hughes and Petterson will have Gudbranson or Virtanen with them.
I really hope not, I want players with brains and skill playing with Pettersson. Look at Tmpas top 6 they don't have any goons there. Unless Virtanen develops a lot I hope he is kept in the bottom six.

Gudbranson should be waived.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

If you consider Matthews to be a generational player, then Steven Segal should be considered a generational actor. :roll:

In all seriousness though, the term generational gets thrown around *way* too much and it’s one of my pet peeves.

In my opinion, a “generational” player is someone that would be included in the Top 20 or 30 players of all time. Period.

Orr, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Roy, Hasek, Lidstrom, Crosby, Ovechkin, and likely McDavid one day.

A generational player is someone that was one of the alphas of a generation and can be recognized as one of the faces of that generation. They’ve often won multiple cups and/or completely dominated the podium of awards.

Everyone else is a superstar. Your Joe Thornton’s, Pat Kane’s, Sedin twins, etc.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Wait... What if an undrafted free-agent signs with the Ducks and scores 50 down the stretch and takes the Ducks to the playoffs? Would he win the Calder? Edit: I forgot to mention that this player is a GOALIE!!! OMG Does that stir your jimmies or what?

They make medication now for all of the things!

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
If you consider Matthews to be a generational player, then Steven Segal should be considered a generational actor. :roll:

In all seriousness though, the term generational gets thrown around *way* too much and it’s one of my pet peeves.

In my opinion, a “generational” player is someone that would be included in the Top 20 or 30 players of all time. Period.

Orr, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Roy, Hasek, Lidstrom, Crosby, Ovechkin, and likely McDavid one day.

A generational player is someone that was one of the alphas of a generation and can be recognized as one of the faces of that generation. They’ve often won multiple cups and/or completely dominated the podium of awards.

Everyone else is a superstar. Your Joe Thornton’s, Pat Kane’s, Sedin twins, etc.

A couple overlap where they could be on either list .... and you left out Bobby Hull. He could be on either list. I would rate him higher than Crosby and Ovechkin. But it's a pretty accurate list.

I am fortunate to have seen every player you listed play live.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
A couple overlap where they could be on either list .... and you left out Bobby Hull. He could be on either list. I would rate him higher than Crosby and Ovechkin. But it's a pretty accurate list.

I am fortunate to have seen every player you listed play live.

Thanks.

My list wasn’t an all inclusive list by the way. I was just noting a few examples. And yes - Bobby Hull is generational.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
I get into debates about this all the time...I don't think Matthews is a generational player (and neither is Pettersson)..

To me..its a player that has impacted the game as a whole..and in the last 50 years there's only been 5 players

Orr
Gretzky

Lemeuix
Crosby
McDavid.
Plus Ovechkin.

Pettersson and Matthews are not (yet) generational. Matthews isn't even the best player on the Leafs, that's Marner.

rickwiththe

Dec 13, 2018
3 points without playing?

Well in all honesty I wrote that before the sharks game. On a side note; I was kinda tired, and somehow thought Vancouver would be playing the Kings o_O

It will be interesting to see how they bounce back after this

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

Orr
Gretzky

Lemeuix
Crosby
McDavid.

How is McDavid on this list? He hasn't even played a half of a generation, nor has he done anything particularly great.

And if you go by impacted as a whole:

Selanne
Sakic
Lemieux
Lidstrom
Bossy
Roy

are pretty unique.

Last edited:

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada

The non-hockey definition of generational is "once in a generation".

Bobby Orr & Wayner are the only guys I'd definitively put on that last.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
giphy.gif

psycat

Oct 25, 2016

Orr
Gretzky

Lemeuix
Crosby
McDavid.

Ovechkin is arguably the greatest goalscorer of all time. McDavid(so far)+Crosby are dime a dozen superstars in the mold of Forsberg, Trottier, Mikita, Messier etc. Ranking Crosby above Jagr is absolute blasphemy in my book. Not to mention Hasek.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The non-hockey definition of generational is "once in a generation".

Bobby Orr & Wayner are the only guys I'd definitively put on that last.

Mario makes mine. I don't think having more than one generational players in an era is problem as that is offset by the fact some eras can have none. The generational players need to be a tier better than anybody else.

Reactions: ChilliBilly
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad