Prospect Info: Elias Pettersson | Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
After the heartbreak of Boeser not putting on a hat yesterday, I'm not sure I could handle another failure today :D

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Yeah when "the masses" are telling you how "the masses" use a word, they are usually right.

This is not really a subject that is a good look to be contrarian on. Arguing it is just annoying rather than convincing. This isn't an "in my opinion this is how it will turn out," this is a literal discussion on how to use a word. You should be able to see the difference.

Anywho, I'll leave it at that, back to EP.

the term blue-chip is subjective when describing a prospect. There is no requirement or definition that classifies a prospect as "blue-chip"

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Zero Powerplays so far for Vaxjo.

Hopefully, they can get one in the 3rd. Pettersson bullet for the hattrick would be nice.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
so what makes Juolevi blue-chip?

If you seem so adamant to knowing the one true definition of what a "blue-chip" is then please elaborate. What are the requirements to be official "blue-chip" status :laugh:

I'll say this... You seem to be defining a 'blue chip' prospect as one that's doing extermely well at their current playing level and has a chance a of being solid quality NHLers...

Blue-chip prospects are traditionally a description held for prospects perceived to be potential All-star/elite/franchise caliber NHL players.

I would hesitate to even say Horvat had blue-chip prospect status.. not till the Cgy playoff series... but then he was a NHLer by then... and retrospectively was perceived as such.

Currently we have... Pettersson... and maybe Demko with traditional "blue chip" status...
Since this is generally subjective... different people will be more or less liberal with their 'cut offs'...

For example, you seem to be pretty liberal with its definition... me less so.

Last edited by a moderator:

cc

Feb 28, 2002
If someone sees a prospect as blue chip, I see no fault in that. How prospects are perceived is subjective after all

Reactions: PorscheDesign

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I'll say this... You seem to be defining a 'blue chip' prospect as one that's doing extermely well at their current playing level and has a chance a of being solid quality NHLers...

Blue-chip prospects are traditionally a description held for prospects perceived potential All-star/elite/franchise caliber NHL players.

I would hesitate to even say Horvat had blue-chip prospect status.. not till the Cgy playoff series... but then he was a NHLer by then... and retrospectively was perceived as such.

So you just proved that if you ask posters who are blue-chip prospects then you will get different answers.

@Peen just said that Juolevi is a blue-chip prospect but doesn't qualify for your definition as a "blue-chip" prospect since the masses are so adamant that there is a true definition to this term.

keep in mind I use masses very loosely, there are literally three posters on this board who think they wrote the dictionary of hockey terms.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Here I was hoping that as a 19 year old in a mens league that Pettersson would be able to put up a respectable 25ish points for the entire season. Absolutely loved the home run swing for pure skill at the draft table, and he's exceeded every expectation I've had so far.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Blue Chip

"A blue chip is a nationally recognized, well-established, and financially sound company. Blue chips generally sell high-quality, widely accepted products and services. Blue chip companies are known to weather downturns and operate profitably in the face of adverse economic conditions, which helps to contribute to their long record of stable and reliable growth.

The name "blue chip" came about from the game of poker in which the blue chips have the highest value."

Translating this from companies to prospects, you're generally looking at:

- High draft pick (pedigree, as stupid as it is in a D+5 season, has some bearing on a prospect)
- Consistent improvement (no Virtanen-like D+1 seasons)
- The ability to quickly adapt to changing conditions (ie. moving up levels)

For the Canucks, IMO that applies to Pettersson, Juolevi, and maybe Demko.

Including Gaudette, Lind, Goldobin, etc. in that same tier diminishes the accomplishments and stature of those three. Seems like those guys are being described as players with better than marginal odds of making the NHL in some capacity. The next tier are the Palmu level prospects where it wouldn't be a shock if they made the NHL, but they certainly are a better bet to not make it. After that would be the average Cole Candella types that are very far away from providing value (akin to penny stocks).

Whereas a blue-chip prospect is one that would be declared a bust if they didn't become a top-line forward/top-pairing defenseman/top-20 starter.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The thing about Hodgson is that he was pretty boring to watch, his skating with his short legs was painful to watch. He was excellent when he was standing still in the offensive zone though.
Yeah, it wasn't the same level of dazzle to be sure, but the hype was real as he was racking up the points and starring in the OHL. And it was warranted at the time.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
So you just proved that if you ask posters who are blue-chip prospects then you will get different answers.

@Peen just said that Juolevi is a blue-chip prospect but doesn't qualify for your definition as a "blue-chip" prospect since the masses are so adamant that there is a true definition to this term.
Juolevi was a blue-chip prospect... (i think almost every top 5 prospect is considered a blue chipper on draft day)
He's still close to one. But SOME people have soured on him. Maybe Peen hasn't.
I still think he'll be an impact dman we need.. but may no longer be a franchise dman we initially expected. This is the subjective part of it..

Last edited:
Reactions: Szechwan

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
3 more points and he'll crack the top 30 in all-time single-season U20 scoring at the SEL/SHL level

216a534d3360bae4e05f787eb72ac590.png

And he has cracked the top 30.

Reactions: Zombotron

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Blue Chip

"A blue chip is a nationally recognized, well-established, and financially sound company. Blue chips generally sell high-quality, widely accepted products and services. Blue chip companies are known to weather downturns and operate profitably in the face of adverse economic conditions, which helps to contribute to their long record of stable and reliable growth.

The name "blue chip" came about from the game of poker in which the blue chips have the highest value."

Translating this from companies to prospects, you're generally looking at:

- High draft pick (pedigree, as stupid as it is in a D+5 season, has some bearing on a prospect)
- Consistent improvement (no Virtanen-like D+1 seasons)
- The ability to quickly adapt to changing conditions (ie. moving up levels)

For the Canucks, IMO that applies to Pettersson, Juolevi, and maybe Demko.

Including Gaudette, Lind, Goldobin, etc. in that same tier diminishes the accomplishments and stature of those three. Seems like those guys are being described as players with better than marginal odds of making the NHL in some capacity. The next tier are the Palmu level prospects where it wouldn't be a shock if they made the NHL, but they certainly are a better bet to not make it. After that would be the average Cole Candella types that are very far away from providing value (akin to penny stocks).

Whereas a blue-chip prospect is one that would be declared a bust if they didn't become a top-line forward/top-pairing defenseman/top-20 starter.

:laugh: congrats on googling Blue chip and providing the financial definition. It will always be subjective in hockey, make a survey of posters on any board who their blue-chip prospects are and you will get differing opinions.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
He probably come down a bit, but man that's an insane pace. On pace for 68 points in 51 games, or the 4th highest scoring season in SHL history.
The pace is even more ridiculous when you ignore the first few games when he wasn't scoring.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
:laugh: congrats on googling Blue chip and providing the financial definition. It will always be subjective in hockey, make a survey of posters on any board who their blue-chip prospects are and you will get differing opinions.
A typically 95% will respond with 0,1 or 2.
Then there's Leaf fan.

Back on point!

He probably come down a bit, but man that's an insane pace. On pace for 68 points in 51 games, or the 4th highest scoring season in SHL history.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He has the highest PPG for a U-20 in the SHL ever, not including Kent Nilsson since that was in the 70s. However, in today's era of hockey, it's insane that he is even this close Nilsson.

he has a strong lead over Peter Forsberg, Naslund, Sedins, Gradin, Backstrom.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad