Rumor: Elias Pettersson - No Deal Imminent (Aug 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Didn't the Aho deal buy 1 UFA year?

I'd actually be quite comfortable with the Aho deal.
that's not optimal at all. that's like the worst outcome. you want to take the guy closer to his rfa stat expiry or buy a lot of years after it expires.

Reactions: mossey3535

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
If I'm Pettersson's agent, I'm looking at Marner and Matthews as comparables. Marner had the same points-per-game in his first three seasons as Pettersson, and Matthews was only slightly ahead (a difference of about 4 points over 82 games). And Matthews also had injury questions; like Pettersson, he had only managed to play a full season once.
Of course, these should be the ceiling of his comparables, but in my opinion, Pettersson's agent should be talking at least 10 million per year to buy 2 UFA years, which would be about 900K less than Marner's deal of the same length, adjusted for cap inflation.

Last edited:

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
If I'm Pettersson's agent, I'm looking at Marner and Matthews as comparables. Marner had the same points-per-game in his first three seasons as Pettersson, and Matthews was only slightly ahead (a difference of about 4 points over 82 games). And Matthews also had injury questions; like Pettersson, he had only managed to play a full season once.
Of course, these should be the ceiling of his comparables, but in my opinion, Pettersson's agent should be talking at least 10 million per year to buy 2 UFA years, which would be about 900K less than Marner's deal of the same length, adjusted for cap inflation.

Marner had a 94 point season before he got that money, Matthews was already a 40 goal scorer 1st overall pick.... Cap inflation doesn't matter as its offset by the flat cap/lower than expected cap growth. Sure, if you're JPB you go for 16x8 as your starting point because why not. But realistically, there's no way EP is touching 8 figures

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
that's not optimal at all. that's like the worst outcome. you want to take the guy closer to his rfa stat expiry or buy a lot of years after it expires.
It's not optimal, but the number is one that the team can work with to be more competitive over those 5 years. Then you have 5 years to foster your relationship with the player and sign another contract when he's 28.

Reactions: Sinistril

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
A lot of players were pissed at how the COVID situation was handled. Also, some players seem to be mad at the direction and the moves management has made.

No players were pissed off on how the COVID situation was handled, you are making assumptions out of nothing. The team followed what the NHL, Canadian and BC Government required them to do. Players are also not upset on the moves management made, they know this is business and players come and go.

This team has one of the best top 9 forwards in the league, now we just need to see how Green manages them.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
No players were pissed off on how the COVID situation was handled, you are making assumptions out of nothing. The team followed what the NHL, Canadian and BC Government required them to do. Players are also not upset on the moves management made, they know this is business and players come and go.

This team has one of the best top 9 forwards in the league, now we just need to see how Green manages them.

I guess the media, across the whole spectrum, were all telling the same lie then and had an agreement to try and make the team look bad. Must be that.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

Miller publically criticized the schedule after management agreed to it. I am 99% sure that happened but maybe I am remembering incorrectly.

Reactions: geebaan

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
I remember Benning denying the Schmidt trade rumors, basically blaming the media that it wasn't true and we all should only believe what Benning says then, so what happened to Schmidt oh he was traded... So who was telling the truth Benning or the media...

Mergatroidskittle

Dec 26, 2015
I remember Benning denying the Schmidt trade rumors, basically blaming the media that it wasn't true and we all should only believe what Benning says then, so what happened to Schmidt oh he was traded... So who was telling the truth Benning or the media...
What the f*** do you want him to say? If he admitted that you’d shit on him either way

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

I don't really expect Benning to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth every time he gets in front of a mic (in fact, doing so would probably lead to him getting fined more frequently), but there is something to be said about how badly he lies.

Reactions: MS

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
I don't really expect Benning to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth every time he gets in front of a mic (in fact, doing so would probably lead to him getting fined more frequently), but there is something to be said about how badly he lies.

I know he doesn't tell the truth, but so many people are so convinced he is always telling the truth and it's only the media making up lies and rumors, some people need a wake up call sometimes, it's not just so peachy as everyone thinks. He also will purposely lie to protect or hope to hold more value in a trade I know this, it would be weak to show your cards always. But this narrative that he always tells truth and the media is the ones always lying is complete BS.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

In this case both were telling the truth. The only thing Benning denied was Schmidt asking for a trade. No credible media member as far as I know reported that Schmidt requested a trade. Every credible media member was careful to report that there was an understanding that the Canucks will try to move him. Benning's answers always went back to there being interest in Schmidt. He even said he will see how it goes. He also said he's part of the group (which he was). It doesn't have to be one or the other. Truths can co-exist sometimes.

Remember when Sekeres reported that the Canucks were shopping Boeser and the Canucks were mad? Most people here believed him. What about the time he reported that Hughes was on IVs due to covid? Did Hughes lie when he denied it? Did Bieksa slam Sekeres without any insider info?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
That’s his job to lie. You lose bargaining power if everyone knows the guy wants out. Common f***ing sense guys.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
That’s his job to lie. You lose bargaining power if everyone knows the guy wants out. Common f***ing sense guys.

No f***ing shit.

The thing is that a bunch of folks on here were on and on about "MEDIA AGENDA ARGH ARGH ARGH" when the rumours were heating up about how Schmidt wanted out, and the team was trying to trade him. OP is drawing parallels to that situation.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Common sense is only an acceptable thing to use here if it doesn't paint Jim Benning in a worse light than he's already put himself in.

When painting Benning in a bad light, the understanding of time, player development speeds, off ice contributions, are not used at all on HF Canucks.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He definitely looked disinterested to start the year.
You mean after the team let Tanev and Toffolli go after Hughes and Pettersson publicly said they wanted them back for their extremely important leadership for the team, and Benning turned his 4D chess into Holtby and Virtanen contracts???

Any competitive player would have approved of those Benning 4D Chess moves

cut.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad