Rumor: Elias Pettersson - No Deal Imminent (Aug 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
That still does not explain the suggestion that Benning would offer a 15 year deal.

If you just want to flame Benning, go to the correct thread, this thread is to discuss Pettersson's contract, and saying the GM will offer something not allowed in the CBA doesn't help

Benning - Tryamkin contract, tampering fine
Weisbrod- ROR offer sheet

Reactions: elitepete and Peen

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
No, the poster who suggested Benning to offer a 15 year deal, and yourself defending the offer, is picking weird battles.

If I offered Pettersson a time travelling tour so he can make money buying diamonds and gold dirt cheap, as compensation, that would be weird. But just as logical as the GM offering a 15 year deal that cannot happen.
It was clearly a joke. At least I thought anyway.

Reactions: JAK and Peen

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Can we just go back to discussing Pettersson's contract?

Jesus.

Let’s just say this management group does not have the best grasp on managing the salary cap or understanding the CBA so having 2 big contracts coming due should a concern for fans

Reactions: RebuildinVan

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
It the rumours of the cap going up 1M per are true I would sign both to bridge deals. The cap% deal at 81.5 and 84,5 only differ by a few hundred thousand.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Weisbrod- ROR offer sheet

Poor Weisbrod. He's the AGM to a GM with a law degree and he gets eternally blamed for his team having a different interpretation of the CBA than the league.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Poor Weisbrod. He's the AGM to a GM with a law degree and he gets eternally blamed for his team having a different interpretation of the CBA than the league.

you mean the blatantly wrong interpretation?

going from memory so maybe I am wrong, but wasn’t it black and white played in another pro league past x date must pass through waivers?

Reactions: tyhee

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

going from memory so maybe I am wrong, but wasn’t it black and white played in another pro league past x date must pass through waivers?

I believe it was a new memorandum of understanding that was passed at the time but nothing was finalized?

Regardless that doesn't change my point that Weisbrod was just an AGM working for a GM with a law degree. I would make the same point now if the Canucks screw up on some CBA matters when Gear is the AGM and Benning is the GM.

Reactions: JAK

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

I think that he was saying that he's being unfairly blamed/sharing more than he should of the blame when Feaster was the one manning Flames at that time.

E: Although I am fairly certain that it came out that Weisbrod was heavily involved/proposed it in the first place. Don't mark my words on that, though.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I believe it was a new memorandum of understanding that was passed at the time but nothing was finalized?

Regardless that doesn't change my point that Weisbrod was just an AGM working for a GM with a law degree. I would make the same point now if the Canucks screw up on some CBA matters when Gear is the AGM and Benning is the GM.

Fair enough I guess, I just thought like below that it was a Weisbrod idea.

I think that he was saying that he's being unfairly blamed/sharing more than he should of the blame when Feaster was the one manning Flames at that time.

E: Although I am fairly certain that it came out that Weisbrod was heavily involved/proposed it in the first place. Don't mark my words on that, though.

that’s how I remember it too.

Either way everyone deserves to wear it on this one. I checked, and that exact situation had happened a few years earlier with Nabobkov who ended up going through waivers.

Reactions: The Redditeer

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
I actually think that today's news about the cap going up, even ever so slightly, will trigger news in the next few days.

I'm sure their agent was telling them to hold off until there was even a bit of clarity about the cap. Now that we know it is actually going up, but not drastically, I'm sure he'll advise them to bridge and by the time its up, the cap should be starting to further climb.

Or maybe it's all wishful thinking......I just want to hear they're signed

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
never understood why it was bad for weisbrod to try and sign ror. that would have been a solid move if he had gotten people to go along. recall it took a year to decide if the bure pick was legit. it was worth it.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
never understood why it was bad for weisbrod to try and sign ror. that would have been a solid move if he had gotten people to go along. recall it took a year to decide if the bure pick was legit. it was worth it.

it was a terrible move cause ROR had to go through waivers, so Calgary would have lost all their draft picks than lost ROR for free.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Why is everything about Benning with you freaks lol? Not everyone is either a Benning bro or Benning hater.

The man lives in your guys heads that's for sure.

it’s a term to identify a subset of posters here that my post was directed at. The same idiots will be flipping their tube the moment he signs

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

It wasn't a different interpretation, the provision wasn't new and was perfectly clear. The same provision in the previous collective bargaining agreement had already cost the Red Wings Evgeni Nabokov, who they signed in January, 2011 and put on waivers immediately, losing him to the Islanders.

The provision started out as follows:

"In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. ..."

That is as clear as it can be and was same in the previous Collective Bargaining Agreement as it was in the incoming Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Feaster's different interpretation can only have come from a provision in the transition into the season which should have been half over, which was intended to allow teams to sign their free agents who had played in Europe during the labour disruption of 2012-13. Feaster had to be reading it as applying to other team's free agents as well. As the Flames have to have been in on the discussions leading up to it, it seems to me a monumental risk to take, possibly losing a first and third round pick for essentially nothing.

In my view the Flames screwed up.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Probably best to shut this down until Sept. It will save a lot of misguided rhetoric.

...and ain't nothing going to change until then anyway.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

fair point but I think it does show that if Benning was crossing the lines of the CBA he’s not going to be the voice of reason

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
How is it not true? Am I forgetting something?

I don't want to get into it man, I've debunked this so many times. It's a dumb thing people parrot because they need to latch on to something to hate Weisbrod for (as if being besties with Benning isn't enough.) If you really want me to get into it again, ping me in the management thread, I won't take this thread even further off the rails.

Reactions: racerjoe

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I don't want to get into it man, I've debunked this so many times. It's a dumb thing people parrot because they need to latch on to something to hate Weisbrod for (as if being besties with Benning isn't enough.) If you really want me to get into it again, ping me in the management thread, I won't take this thread even further off the rails.

:naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad