Rumor: Elias Pettersson is expected to sign with the Canucks after world champs

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Probably not the best move. IMO he’s someone who is better off staying in Sweden for at least another year, probably two. He should be able to jump right into the #1 C role for the Canucks when he’s 21, but he needs a little more time then most players to put on muscle and mature physically

MrTurdFerguson

Jan 15, 2018
Another year in Sweden would not be bad for him. The Canucks don't need to be in any particular hurry for the following season. Biding their time would be smart. The Sedins just retired, Boeser is a sophomore, Demko a rookie, Juolevi had his inaugural season in Finland, Shinkaruk needs to start playing at the NHL level and I must confess I'm hazy on whether or not Kole Lind actually qualifies for the AHL. The Canucks are simply not ready in their current form and throwing whatever prospects they have into the fire is the worst idea imaginable. Let the season pass so that the future of this team is ready to come together for the 2019 home opener. What's the worst thing that's gonna happen? A crappy year? 4th worst record in the NHL? They might win the damn draft lottery with the way things are going.
Shinkaruk is long gone from the Canucks organization, traded to Calgary a couple years ago. Lind is eligible for the AHL next year

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Shinkaruk is long gone from the Canucks organization, traded to Calgary a couple years ago. Lind is eligible for the AHL next year

I am so f***ing stupid. I typed Shinkaruk instead of Gaunce and I got them mixed up. I should have checked first. I know Gaunce has been up and down, not impressive and this coming year is the last chance to see if he was actually going to amount to anything. Thank you for catching my mistake.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He's a late birthday, would have been eligible to slide in 2018-19 if he was signed before Dec 31st 2017.

nucks gonna nuck. so he could have played the full season without burning a year on the elc if they signed him earlier?

Jan 21, 2018
I guess picking Pettersson a little early makes up for picking Juolevi a little early

canuckfaithful

Jun 6, 2012
Inexcusable amount of term for a kid that young. I don't care that Petterson is arguably the best young international superstar in the world aside from Dahlin. The Canucks are handcuffing themselves to a kid who has never played a second in the NHL. Benning is a walking debacle.
What are you talking about? All blue chips basically sign the same maxed out rookie deal available to them according to the CBA?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
nucks gonna nuck. so he could have played the full season without burning a year on the elc if they signed him earlier?

Yes, so long as he didn't play 10+ NHL games. It's not a huge deal, It's more that they don't have the option now of signing him then letting his contract slide in the AHL or SHL if they determine he isn't quite NHL ready this year.

canuckfaithful

Jun 6, 2012
Another year in Sweden would not be bad for him. The Canucks don't need to be in any particular hurry for the following season. Biding their time would be smart. The Sedins just retired, Boeser is a sophomore, Demko a rookie, Juolevi had his inaugural season in Finland, Gaunce needs to start playing at the NHL level and do well at it. I must confess I'm hazy on whether or not Kole Lind actually qualifies for the AHL. The Canucks are simply not ready in their current form and throwing whatever prospects they have into the fire is the worst idea imaginable. Let the season pass so that the future of this team is ready to come together for the 2019 home opener. What's the worst thing that's gonna happen? A crappy year? 4th worst record in the NHL? They might win the damn draft lottery with the way things are going.
Im not so sure of that. What does he have left to prove in SHL? He was dominant at this level agaianst men. Some developement curves move faster based on the player. He may excel around better players. Hes ready for a 9 game trial if nothing else.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

member 157595

Im not so sure of that. What does he have left to prove in SHL? He was dominant at this level agaianst men. Some developement curves move faster based on the player. He may excel around better players. Hes ready for a 9 game trial if nothing else.
Agreed. He can get stronger in North America. He has nothing left to prove or accomplish in Sweden.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
The Canucks have so many young forwards competing for time next year

Which is a good thing Canucks definitely could use Pettersson. The kid is fricken good! They gotta find scoring somewhere and he provides it.

I like this signing from a Canucks POV. Good Job

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I'm not sure if it all started with his SHL Coach saying that he thought another year in Sweden would be better for him and everybody panicked, or if there was another reason for it.
Canucks media during a long off-season trying to drum up listeners.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Probably not the best move. IMO he’s someone who is better off staying in Sweden for at least another year, probably two. He should be able to jump right into the #1 C role for the Canucks when he’s 21, but he needs a little more time then most players to put on muscle and mature physically
Did you miss this season by chance? Where he dominated the Swede league as a 19 year old? Like better than everyone else in the league? He’s done there.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Another year in Sweden would not be bad for him. The Canucks don't need to be in any particular hurry for the following season. Biding their time would be smart. The Sedins just retired, Boeser is a sophomore, Demko a rookie, Juolevi had his inaugural season in Finland, Gaunce needs to start playing at the NHL level and do well at it. I must confess I'm hazy on whether or not Kole Lind actually qualifies for the AHL. The Canucks are simply not ready in their current form and throwing whatever prospects they have into the fire is the worst idea imaginable. Let the season pass so that the future of this team is ready to come together for the 2019 home opener. What's the worst thing that's gonna happen? A crappy year? 4th worst record in the NHL? They might win the damn draft lottery with the way things are going.

Holy shit, this is bad stuff right here.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

Nothing else to prove there.... but hey, lets wait as long as possible to get him to NA ice, better development program, better line mates, and competition. u ever watched hockey b4?

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Will be a decent second liner in the future. Good pick by the Canucks.

“Decent second liner”. Dude just stay out of Canuck threads. You offer nothing to the conversation, and clearly have no knowledge of the team.

Nah, his playoffs were still better than what the Sedins could muster up in 2011.

The Sedins were nearly PPG players in the 2011 playoffs. I think you meant it was better than what Matthews could muster up in 2018.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Questionable move is questionable...

All jokes aside, kid will be a very good player for a long time. I'm dying to see him with Boeser. I can only imagine the havok those two could wreak together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad