Rumor: Elias Pettersson is expected to sign with the Canucks after world champs

canuckfaithful

Jun 6, 2012
Lol it was a joke. Petterson will sign the normal entry level deal
I guess I didn’t get it? Petterson is ready. He looked great at the worlds as well. He’s ready for a good kick at the can. Otherwise he will be in Utica. My guess is he sticks with the big club and kicks ass next year. Reminds a little of Pavel Datsyuk, Magic with the puck!

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
“Decent second liner”. Dude just stay out of Canuck threads. You offer nothing to the conversation, and clearly have no knowledge of the team.

Why? I feel like I add constructive thoughts to the conversation (I am somewhat of a Canucks fan afterall) and I am one of the most knowledgable (and smartest) individuals on this site. Just because you do not like my opinion doesn't reduce its value.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Why? I feel like I add constructive thoughts to the conversation (I am somewhat of a Canucks fan afterall) and I am one of the most knowledgable (and smartest) individuals on this site. Just because you do not like my opinion doesn't reduce its value.

This doesn’t even warrant a response

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Pettersson were in this draft, I’d be taking him ahead of Svech. I think he’s that good, he’s just slight in frame. This kid is special, his hands, passing ability, his goal scoring ability, he’s just a tremendous talent. I think him and Boeser will have a chance to record franchise numbers for the Nucks. Super excited to see him play.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Should have signed him after the draft.

No!!! ;)

Seriously though, this is a kid you must be really patient with. I honestly think that it would have been -- a disaster -- to rush him over. To be honest, I think bringing him over for next season is a bit of a gamble.

There is only one big difference between NA and the European game that really can influence a player, and that is how much stronger and better physically the NA Ds are compared to the Ds in Europe. In Europe a smaller well balanced player can play a style where he waits for the Ds to engage with him and then slide away. Petersson does it all the time. He managed to get it done in the SHL -- barely -- being in a perfect environment for him. Just going to the national team was like night and day for him. It will be that x2 when he gets to the NHL.

Petersson has all the potential in the world, fantastic kid with fantastic skills. But you better be oh so patient with him. He is a great shooter and is very good on the PP, so he could hit it of from the get go. But I also think there is a big risk that he will need a lot of time to grow and adopt to the NHL game. And with kids like him, there is always a risk that they come in, get some smaller nagging injuries, backproblems or whatever, and sooner rather than later the support can turn tremendously fast and the pressure pours on when 2 seasons without big contribution in the NHL becomes 3 seasons and so forth.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
What are you talking about? All blue chips basically sign the same maxed out rookie deal available to them according to the CBA?
Don’t even bother. These are overpushed ELC joke people have been doing for years even if theres 10 of them in the same thread people will still make them. Shit doesn’t even bring me a smerk, thats how overkilled and not funny they are.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Did you miss this season by chance? Where he dominated the Swede league as a 19 year old? Like better than everyone else in the league? He’s done there.
No I did not miss this season; I just understand the value of [patience with players who have physical maturing to do. He was a 160 lbs at the draft and contrary to what some people believe it will take him 2-3 years to get to the 190 lb range and for a guy his height he will still be light at that weight. (rule of thumb for 19 year old males is 1.25 lbs per month, more than that and you are likely just adding body fat. The problem is that you can’t add mass during the NHL season, the schedule is too demanding.)

The Canucks gain nothing from brining him to the NHL right now, they still have a lot of work to do in order to make the playoffs. Bringing him to the NHL too early risks injury shortening his career and stifling his development.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
No!!! ;)

Seriously though, this is a kid you must be really patient with. I honestly think that it would have been -- a disaster -- to rush him over. To be honest, I think bringing him over for next season is a bit of a gamble.

There is only one big difference between NA and the European game that really can influence a player, and that is how much stronger and better physically the NA Ds are compared to the Ds in Europe. In Europe a smaller well balanced player can play a style where he waits for the Ds to engage with him and then slide away. Petersson does it all the time. He managed to get it done in the SHL -- barely -- being in a perfect environment for him. Just going to the national team was like night and day for him. It will be that x2 when he gets to the NHL.

Petersson has all the potential in the world, fantastic kid with fantastic skills. But you better be oh so patient with him. He is a great shooter and is very good on the PP, so he could hit it of from the get go. But I also think there is a big risk that he will need a lot of time to grow and adopt to the NHL game. And with kids like him, there is always a risk that they come in, get some smaller nagging injuries, backproblems or whatever, and sooner rather than later the support can turn tremendously fast and the pressure pours on when 2 seasons without big contribution in the NHL becomes 3 seasons and so forth.

I never said they should have brought him over, could have signed him and let him stay in Sweden.

Reactions: Ola

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad