Seravalli: Elias Pettersson Extension: Progress being made?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Because it is, last season he struggled to deal with his fathers death, was distracted, and was being shopped around. This year he is focused and he is back on track. His averages have been strong and like his rookie year, he’s back to playing hard and shooting well.
you can call a nhl contract a bragain when the player outperforms consistently his cap hit. boeser isn't there yet as last year's performances belong to the sample size.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
I think it’s 4 years as well, just shy of $12m

Because it is, last season he struggled to deal with his fathers death, was distracted, and was being shopped around. This year he is focused and he is back on track. His averages have been strong and like his rookie year, he’s back to playing hard and shooting well.
Boeser is playing well and is an easy player to cheer for. I’m happy for him.

He’s also shooting 25% at even-strength, 26% on the powerplay. This is like believing Horvat is now a perennial 40 goal threat because of a career best shooting season.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Boeser is playing well and is an easy player to cheer for. I’m happy for him.

He’s also shooting 25% at even-strength, 26% on the powerplay. This is like believing Horvat is now a perennial 40 goal threat because of a career best shooting season.
Those goals still count and his shooting percentage has plenty of room to regress and him still hit 30-35 goals or Evan ride the wave to 40.

you can call a nhl contract a bragain when the player outperforms consistently his cap hit. boeser isn't there yet as last year's performances belong to the sample size.
They do, but it’s not uncommon to acknowledge variables such as injuries into the data. In this case, the injury happened to be emotional. It still directly impacted his play, now that he is healthy, it’s a great contract.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
They do, but it’s not uncommon to acknowledge variables such as injuries into the data. In this case, the injury happened to be emotional. It still directly impacted his play, now that he is healthy, it’s a great contract.
availability is also an ability. i can't call hischier a bargain.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd love it to be a max length real but I can see why he'd want to keep the term short. Maybe he signs a 3 year deal so his contract aligns with Hughes'. Gives the team a 3 year window and then everyone assesses things at that point. Miller will be around for awhile but Boeser's contract ends after next season (I mention him because of this is who he is moving forward then that's just another bargain contract the team needs to take advantage of).

We've got a couple years here to go for it and management knows it. Look for a Pettersson extension and some trades to improve the roster at some point after that (long before the deadline I'm betting).
Always risk and reward with contracts. Landy has a bad knee at 30/31. Klingberg's hips gave out and he's still 29. You want to sign max term by 28. Risking pushing it to a 5 year deal to get you to 30, who knows if you get unlucky with an injury. These permanent LTIRs are not just happening to the 33-35 year olds. It's getting closer to 30 year olds now too.

That's a key thing to weigh. But, no rush to do the deal now. Can be patient and see how the season plays out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad