Elias Pettersson drafted and youtubers gets mad.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Most people are just parroting what tv analysts are saying. It's almost sad when people pretend to be experts on all prospects. There's just too many of them even for one professional scout to keep tabs on. I'm pretty confident NA fans haven't seen a single game Pettersson played for Timrå. The opposite is also true. I don't really believe European fans watch Canadian junior hockey league games. Following NHL and your local hockey leagues takes too much time as it already is.

I doubt these forums have a single person who has watched one let alone multiple games from both Jack Hughes and Kaapo Kakko this season.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
"Why do we always pick ****ing European guys?"

That comment alone tells how dumb these people are. Jesus christ, pure cringe.

What's even funnier is the fact that get this.

The last european player the canucks drafted out of europe in the first round was.............. Henrik and Daniel sedin

1999 - Sedins
-
- only north american leagues
-
2017 - Petersson

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
That video shows why fans are fans and why GMs are GMs. Reading the hockey news draft preview does not make you an expert, neither does a big mouth.

Honestly, most of those people sound like some of the typical vocal minority in Vancouver that call into radio stations. Listening to them lets me work out my eye-roll muscles.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Not a chance. It was vilardi or glass with our local sports writers saying the Canucks will be running to the podium if vilardi was still available at 5. Vilardi had some last second exposure due to his teams memorial cup run. Botchford said he heard Canucks were interested in vilardi.

Canucks fans thought they will come out of the draft with glass or vilardi. I thought we had necas.
True, but I was hoping we'd pick EP.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Admittedly... I wanted Vilardi as well.

He's still a great prospect, albeit with injury concerns, but Pettersson is making me look oh so stupid.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
weird how this video makes him seem like some huge reach at 5 :laugh:

I remember hoping Pettersson would fall to the Wings at 9 that year but not really thinking he actually would

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I can't imagine filming myself talking out of my ass like that. Half those people had clearly never seen him play

Reactions: Koijari

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Cringe.

I do believe Vilardi will be a pretty good player though. LA did good on that pick.

This just goes to show that fans talk out of their ass and don't know what they're talking about, let the pro's do their jobs and have a back seat.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeMc

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...s-elias-pettersson-timra-allsvenskan.2361537/

Draft thread for EP, bunch of Nuck fans saying the exact same thing.

This is why I never understood why people lose their collective shot when their team drafts a player that isn't slotted next in some public draft ranking.

Unless you're able to watch all these players 25+ times a year and interview, your opinion isn't more informed than your teams.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
This is a dumb thread.

Yes there a lot of idiots and/or people who don't have a clue what they're talking about on the internet...

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Was pissed off what I saw the 'Nucks draft Pettersson. I was hoping they'd pull another Virtanen/Joulevi and stay away from Pettersson, but alas they had to make a good pick. :( (I would have taken a flyer on him at 1st overall as well, watch any video of him during his draft year and this kid was unreal)

Flames had the 16th pick so I knew we had no chance in getting him, but was always hoping we'd move up to grab him.

Seems like Vancouver has turned a corner in drafting with him and Quinn Hughes and I don't like it. :P

Reactions: vcanuck

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
it's always silly how fans could think that their scouting could be better than a professional organization investing time and people into it. Most fans get angry or happy just on the surface stats, or just based on what a draft list like McKenzie's says.

You obviously haven't checked out the comments of the experts over at HF Canucks..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: stampedingviking

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
That is so stupid. Hischier was/is light AF too.

i'm gonna say that guy is talking out his ass. weight is obviously not immutable......did they think the kid had some genetic disorder that prevented him from putting on some muscle mass?
And Jack Hughes is even smaller and he'll go first overall. But who cares, honestly? He's in the league now, and he's owning.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
That is so stupid. Hischier was/is light AF too.

i'm gonna say that guy is talking out his ass. weight is obviously not immutable......did they think the kid had some genetic disorder that prevented him from putting on some muscle mass?

Hish came from Europe to play in the CHL though, many scouts won't look past TO

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
A lot of Rangers fans were very high on Pettersson and wanted him with the 7th overall pick.

I wanted Pettersson and Brannstrom among the swedes over Lias Andersson at the time. I honestly didnt think Andersson was an option for us at #7. Didnt feel like his potential was high enough, but he has done fine so far, but not great.
Point per game in the AHL this season so will be interesting to see if he can take the next step and be a legit top 6C in the NHL in the future.

From the reports i have heard, NYR was going to take Pettersson or Makar at 7 if any of them were available, but they got picked so they drafted Andersson.
Rangers were also reportedly pushing hard to trade up to secure Pettersson as well
I’m happy with Lias and he brings a great all around game and is also likely our next captain if he pans out but damn, having Pettersson, Chytil, and Kravtsov as forward building blocks would’ve been great
I had Pettersson at 2 on my final list right after Hischier and had EP in my top 5 all season long, even when he was ranked mid-late first early in the season.. really thought we would come out of that draft with EP

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Guess what...I´m a Swedish Ranger fan....and Ranges Euro scouting sucks. I really don´t know why they have a job. Lundqvist....yeah...great scouting...but other then that.
Their scouts suck because they wanted Pettersson? They’ve drafted almost exclusively Europeans in 2017 & 2018, including 4 in the 1st round.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Lots of fans think they are an expert at the draft after watching Craig Button and Bob McKenzie draft rankings. LOL

Reactions: vcanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad