Rumor: Elias Pettersson and Nylander to the Hawks

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
After we win the Celebrini lottery, Chicago can't win the lottery again so may as well trade the future four 1sts for EP.
Not if the Hawks finish with the worst record. It could continue to win another lottery then since it won't be moving up to stay 1st

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Not if the Hawks finish with the worst record. It could continue to win another lottery then since it won't be moving up to stay 1st
Teams are only allowed to improve their positioning via the Lottery twice in a five year period.

Bedard + Celebrini

So even with the worst record, the best those picks can be are 3rd overall.

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Petersson for Oliver Moore, 2024 Tampa 1st, 2025 toronto 1st, 2025 top 10 protected CHI 1st. Get it done

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Let’s flip this around. Assuming it’s true and EP wants to come here, what would drive his decision?

Was he familiar with Bedard being from Vancouver? Are they friendly today? Is Bedard talking up how great the organization is?

Reactions: Mrfenn92

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
To get Petterson you'll likely have to grossly overpay him. I like him on the Hawks but not the tune of giving up major assets AND a high dollar contract. If Pettersson is interested in Chicago, then play it out in Vancouver (or wherever Van trades him once they know they cannot extend him) and then sign in Chicago as a FA.

I take Nylander (let's complete that family trio) on the Hawks.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I could see us get Nylander on the open market but Pettersson no chance.
agree. he would be 28 thru 34 on his next deal if its 7 years. would you be ok with 7 X 11? that is probably what it would take.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
EP wants to be on a competitive team and IIRC was only delaying his next contract with VAN to see if they were serious about being a playoff team. They’re a top 5 team in the league Pts% wise this year. I can’t imagine he leaves now.

Reactions: Muffinalt

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
EP wants to be on a competitive team and IIRC was only delaying his next contract with VAN to see if they were serious about being a playoff team. They’re a top 5 team in the league Pts% wise this year. I can’t imagine he leaves now.

Idk, Vancouver is right up against the cap and they'll have to deal with two large buyout penalties for Ekman-Larsson in 2025 and 2026. There aren't really any young players in their system that are projected to be high-end players. Vancouver is probably as good now as they're going to be for the next 5-6 years. Are they good enough to win? Probably not. I could see him wanting out.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
It may not be EP or Nylander, but eventually if the Hawks really do indeed land young phenom Celebrini to pair with young phenom Bedard then there’s going to be star FAs and trade targets lineup up to come play here. They might even be offering to play for a slight discount just to hav a chance to play with those 2 in a original 6 major market. We’re gonna have our pick of several tantalizing options when the time does come. It’s gonna be fun times. Probably gonna wanna sign an established top pairing caliber defenseman too.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Teams are only allowed to improve their positioning via the Lottery twice in a five year period.

Bedard + Celebrini

So even with the worst record, the best those picks can be are 3rd overall.

Weren’t Hall, RNH, and McDavid all #1 overall picks and all within a 5 year span? I’m probably leaving out/missing something here….just curious

EDIT: Yakupov too??

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Weren’t Hall, RNH, and McDavid all #1 overall picks and all within a 5 year span? I’m probably leaving out/missing something here….just curious

EDIT: Yakupov too??
The rule is newer, like 2020ish but actually the rule was loosely made. Nether the Oilers or Buffalo/NJ would of been limited by how the rule changed. It should have been stricter, but it may help the Blackhawks.

Being last place you're not defacto 3rd,
You're still 1st overall. Getting 1st overall would not be moving up.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
The rule is newer, like 2020ish but actually the rule was loosely made. Nether the Oilers or Buffalo/NJ would of been limited by how the rule changed. It should have been stricter, but it may help the Blackhawks.

Being last place you're not defacto 3rd,
You're still 1st overall. Getting 1st overall would not be moving up.

Thx for clarification

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
If the Hawks pull second overall, would you trade it for EP40?

Also what is the max contract for next season? Assuming an $88 million dollar cap I think it’s like 17 million? If the max value he is getting on the market is 10 or 11 million for seven years, could the Blackhawks do something really weird and do a 2 x $17.6m short term deal? Then basically let Nylander get an 8 year extension at age 30?

Reactions: Paul Allen

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Yes and he's still pathetic.
Have you watched leafs playoff games? He's the best play driver they've got, constantly making things happen. I've got no idea why you think that about him.

Edit - And its not just the playoff games either. Ive seen probably a handful of leafs games so far this year not counting the ones against Chicago and he is consistently their best forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad