Elias Pettersson and Jonathan Dahlen - The next star duo from Sweden to put on a Canucks uniform?

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
1982: thomas gradin, lars lindgren, lars molin, anders eldebrink, per-olov brasar (5)

1983: same as above, but patrik sundstrom replaces brasar (5)

2003: mattias ohlund, markus naslund, henrik and daniel sedin, mats lindgren (5)

2004: ohlund, naslund, henrik, daniel, johan hedberg, magnus arvedson (6)

2009: ohlund, henrik, daniel, alex edler, mats sundin (5)

2014: henrik, daniel, edler, eddie lack, jacob markstrom (5)

this year: henrik, daniel, edler, markstrom, anders nilsson, loui eriksson (6)

next year: edler, markstrom, nilsson(?), eriksson, pettersson(?), dahlen(?), dahlin(?) (7)

come on lottery balls, let's set the record next year

Never forget Mikael "Go f*** yourself Team Sweden" Samuelsson aka Shinpad assassin.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Uhhhhhhhhhh no.

Sorry I forgot.

Sutter’s a Benning guy and so that, combined with the fact that his iCorsi isn’t all that great (as everyone knows, iCorsi and Advanced Stats tell everything you need to know about a player, hockey, and life in general), means that Sutter is worthless garbage that is an AHL caliber forward or 13th caliber forward on a good hockey team.

Reactions: Nomobo

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Pettersson/Dahlen = twins
Horvat = Kesler
Boeser = an angry Mikael Samuselson after the Swedish Olympic team rejected him like a high school cheerleader rejects a pimple faced nerd.

Speaking of Samuelson, his 2nd half performance in that 2009/2010 season is one of my favorite memories of all-time :D. Man was that guy ever ticked off. Was great for us though. He played with a huge chip on his shoulder after the Olympic snub.

We’re bringing back 2011 one player at a time. :p

Sutter = expensive Malhottra.
Demko = Schneider
Lind = Hansen
Leipsic = Burrows

baertschi = raymond
hutton = ballard in the press box
goldobin = grabner in new york
gudbranson = SOB in nashville
gagner = wellwood in san jose

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Oh man, can you imagine how Travis Green would handle a Dahlén-Gaudette-Pettersson line? They'd start getting benched at the 10-minute mark of the first period "just to be safe".
Not if he values his job going forward.....the evolution of the Canucks prospects will determine whether the guy is in the league as a coach for the next decade, or goes the way of Dallas Eakins.

Reactions: Index

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
Canucks right now need a coach they prioritizes developing young players. Everything else should absolutely be secondary.

If Green makes the playoffs in year 3 but does it via a Dave Hakstol approach by relying on vets and plugs at the expense of playing giving sufficent time to the young players then I'd fire him tbh. Develop the kids for 3-4 years or get the f*** outta Vancouver

Reactions: racerjoe

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Green hasn’t been bad at player development, Virtanen has made great improvements since Green has been helping him. Greens really not a concern at this point, Benning and Linden are the big concerns at this point.

Reactions: Mudshark50

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
Green hasn’t been bad at player development, Virtanen has made great improvements since Green has been helping him. Greens really not a concern at this point, Benning and Linden are the big concerns at this point.
Wel ofc Green isn't as big of a concern as management but I'm not gonna fool myself into thinking he's the most ideal coach for the team and where it is. Virtanen "looks" better under him but he's still getting a lack of ice time and should've been played much more down the stretch. I'll say he's better at player development than Willie, sure, but that's a very low baseline to compare to. I'd 100% be open to firing the guy if next year he benches kids in favor of plugs like Gagner etc.

I think lack of expectations and a good first 30 games will buy Green a 4 year shelf life in the current "what are good standards lol?????" Vancouver anyway though.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012

it seems hit and miss, Hutton and Stecher noticed decline in production, while Virtanen and Goldobin looked pretty good.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I'm not really concerned with Green not giving young guys ice time. Just look at Rookie Brock Boeser, gave him all the ice time he could want.

Him benching Hutton has nothing to do with not playing prospects. Hutton is absolutely garbage and doesn't care about conditioning at 25 years old. Waiver fodder

Reactions: Mudshark50

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
The funny thing with the predictions about all these prospects hitting their ceiling is we would be still missing the equivalents of Luongo, Edler, Ehrhoff, Salo, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Richardson, Higgins. However I am sure we will draft all these guys in this year's draft.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Yeah geezus chill out peoples - Green is fine - he's 100x better then stubborn old Willie was. I think he's great for the rookies and their playing time (or lack thereof) has been well managed in my opinion.
Agreed. Baffles me how people are complaining that because he is not playing Ben "The Garbage" Hutton he is anti young players....... yes I'm using Andrew Alberts nick name and at this point I would rather have Alberts then Hutton. Brock Boeser was getting like 20+ minutes every night and given every chance to succeed. I think with our poor D-depth the past few years, people are overrating players like Hutton who would have been waiver fodder during our glory days.

We considered guys like Yannick Weber over the hill and a bust when he came here... and Weber was 24 years old when he joined us. Hutton has had 2 season of regression, it's time to take out the trash where it belongs.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Wel ofc Green isn't as big of a concern as management but I'm not gonna fool myself into thinking he's the most ideal coach for the team and where it is. Virtanen "looks" better under him but he's still getting a lack of ice time and should've been played much more down the stretch. I'll say he's better at player development than Willie, sure, but that's a very low baseline to compare to. I'd 100% be open to firing the guy if next year he benches kids in favor of plugs like Gagner etc.

I think lack of expectations and a good first 30 games will buy Green a 4 year shelf life in the current "what are good standards lol?????" Vancouver anyway though.
You don't just hand out icetime to players because they're under 25. They have to earn it. Horvat earned his icetime, as did Boeser and eventually Jake and Goldobin. You shouldn't hire a coach and say "play the young guys", if they don't earn that time. That will jeopardize the culture of the team.

Green is teaching these guys to be pros. Some will rise to the occasion, others won't. If a guy like Hutton isn't getting played enough, it's because he's simply not good enough.

IMO, Pettersson is going to be a superstar and Dahlen will be a very strong NHLer. Both of those guys will take their lumps but I have every confidence that they will earn Green's trust and find the necassary icetime to succeed.

Reactions: alternate

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
You don't just hand out icetime to players because they're under 25.

You must have missed what happened with Granlund last year or Pouliot this year, or Leipsic. These guys were handed icetime like candy, heck Leipsic played 18 mins or so in his first game straight after arriving, just before a certain other player was called up and could get a game because he "didn't have practice with the team yet". Don't ever tell anyone there is a fair practice when it comes to icetime with the Canucks. It has gotten better under Green but Bennings little pets still get preferred treatment no matter performance, age or whatever.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
You must have missed what happened with Granlund last year or Pouliot this year, or Leipsic. These guys were handed icetime like candy, heck Leipsic played 18 mins or so in his first game straight after arriving, just before a certain other player was called up and could get a game because he "didn't have practice with the team yet". Don't ever tell anyone there is a fair practice when it comes to icetime with the Canucks. It has gotten better under Green but Bennings little pets still get preferred treatment no matter performance, age or whatever.
And this negates my point how? If it's being done, it doesn't mean it's right. Philosophically, my position is still the correct one. You shouldn't play favorites or hand out icetime just because their is a "youth mandate". The same goes for veterans, as they should also earn their icetime (though they often get a longer leash because of past accomplishments and reliability).

And these are not Benning's "little pets". It's actually fairly common for coaches to ignore the requests of a GM to play certain players, so you'd have to think that the coaching decisions rest with Green. You are aware that both Pouliot and Leipsic played under Green in junior? In this case, it's likely Green who's playing favorites.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

They are green's pets though. From the winterhawks

Reactions: Peter10

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Green wants to play an attacking style of hockey with the "D" activated and puck pressure all over the ice....there are players who will thrive and players who will fall by the wayside.....Hutton, Granlund, Pouliot and even Baertschi and Stecher will have to improve this off-season or they'll be shunted aside....and that has nothing to do with 'player development'.....it'll simply be the case that they weren't good enough....that's the way it is folks when a team is coming off three seasons in a row as an NHL bottom-feeder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad