Elias Pettersson and Jonathan Dahlen - The next star duo from Sweden to put on a Canucks uniform?

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Now that the Sedins have retired, it's only fitting that we have another pair of highly touted Swedish prospects, who have played together previously, looking to break into the NHL at the same time.

Both Pettersson and Dahlen have had dominant seasons playing for their respective Swedish teams. Pettersson continues to dominate in the SHL playoffs and Dahlen is having a good start with Utica. They were on the same Junior team in Sweden for short stints during the 2015 and 2016 seasons. In 2017, they were the two best players on Timra, where both posted near PPG seasons.

The general consensus seems to be that Pettersson will start next season with the Canucks and Dahlen with Utica, but with their history and the chemistry they've previously shown together, might there be a chance that Dahlen starts next season with the Canucks and on the same line as Pettersson? We can only hope that these two are next in line to carry on that torch of star players from Sweden to play with the Canucks.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Would be nice. Im sure it will happen eventually. Next year depends on who we get in free agency and how people do in camp. Very excited for those two though

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Very optimistic that this will be the case eventually, but we'll need to be patient. It will likely take a few years before these guys are strong enough to dominate in this league.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
1982: thomas gradin, lars lindgren, lars molin, anders eldebrink, per-olov brasar (5)

1983: same as above, but patrik sundstrom replaces brasar (5)

2003: mattias ohlund, markus naslund, henrik and daniel sedin, mats lindgren (5)

2004: ohlund, naslund, henrik, daniel, johan hedberg, magnus arvedson (6)

2009: ohlund, henrik, daniel, alex edler, mats sundin (5)

2014: henrik, daniel, edler, eddie lack, jacob markstrom (5)

this year: henrik, daniel, edler, markstrom, anders nilsson, loui eriksson (6)

next year: edler, markstrom, nilsson(?), eriksson, pettersson(?), dahlen(?), dahlin(?) (7)

come on lottery balls, let's set the record next year

Reactions: lawrence

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
1982: thomas gradin, lars lindgren, lars molin, anders eldebrink, per-olov brasar (5)

1983: same as above, but patrik sundstrom replaces brasar (5)

2003: mattias ohlund, markus naslund, henrik and daniel sedin, mats lindgren (5)

2004: ohlund, naslund, henrik, daniel, johan hedberg, magnus arvedson (6)

2009: ohlund, henrik, daniel, alex edler, mats sundin (5)

2014: henrik, daniel, edler, eddie lack, jacob markstrom (5)

this year: henrik, daniel, edler, markstrom, anders nilsson, loui eriksson (6)

next year: edler, markstrom, nilsson(?), eriksson, pettersson(?), dahlen(?), dahlin(?) (7)

come on lottery balls, let's set the record next year

Nilsson could be gone with Demko looking NHL ready.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Dahlin will be the third Sedin (aka Edler), don't forget that!
Edler totally is a Sedin, too – look at him when he smiles:

smilingedler_zpsawncva92.png

Reactions: CRDragon

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well, Pettersson and Dahlen were dynamite together for one season with Timra....so I'm sure it's something Green will try....but if Pettersson breaks in on the wing, who's the center?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Pettersson and Dahlen can turn Sutter into a scorer and playmaker, they'll be following the Sedins into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
If Pettersson and Dahlen can turn Sutter into a scorer and playmaker, they'll be following the Sedins into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Unless you read the main boards where "the Sedins haven't done enough individually to get in, and if they do eventually get admitted, it'll be in a weak year because they were a sideshow."

Then you answer with the fact that every individual who's won a Hart+Art Ross or Lindsay+Art Ross is in the hall of fame, and you get crickets until someone who hasn't read the thread jumps in and says "the Sedins haven't done enough individually to get in."

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I hope so, that said I think Boeser will also be a star and potentially 2018 1st rounder will also be a star player, I think the tides are turning for our franchice, ushering a new era, and hopefully a group that can lead us to the promised land.

Who else but Brandon Sutter?

Maybe Adam Gaudette. the numbers he posted is more then just a future 3rd line player. He has offensive potential.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I would be very interested in playing a line with Dahlen and Pettersson this season if they impress out of camp. But I don't think we have a single centre that I would ice them with. It's the one asset on offense that I think Benning needs to acquire this off-season. A second line centre that can be a responsible player alongside two youthful wingers. Tavares is a pipe dream, Stastny will be very expensive, who else might be a realistic target?

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I would be very interested in playing a line with Dahlen and Pettersson this season if they impress out of camp. But I don't think we have a single centre that I would ice them with. It's the one asset on offense that I think Benning needs to acquire this off-season. A second line centre that can be a responsible player alongside two youthful wingers. Tavares is a pipe dream, Stastny will be very expensive, who else might be a realistic target?

I've been on the Stastny bandwagon as far as realistic options are concerned. I think on the open market, he could probably get 4/24 from a good team, so we would have to beat that kind of an offer by a lot to even interest Stastny into coming here. I think I would do 3/24 for Stastny if that's what it took to get him here. For just 3 years, it's not going to put us in any kind of cap crunch and it's better overpaying for a good player than to overpay borderline NHLers ( $6 million per season combined for Gagner and MDZ).

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Well, Pettersson and Dahlen were dynamite together for one season with Timra....so I'm sure it's something Green will try....but if Pettersson breaks in on the wing, who's the center?

I'm banking money (not really, Im poor lol) we sign a Top6 / tweener top6 center this offseason.
Someone from the group of Mikael Backlund, Paul Stastny, Lars Eller, Tyler Bozak, Tomas Plekanec, Valtteri Filppula, Derek Ryan.

Pettersson should definitely be on the wing as he comes in.
Let him be as comfortable as possible, worry about adjusting to the speed of the game, and not have to worry about the extra duties of a center.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009

I would put decent money on one of Bozak or Statsny being a Canuck maybe on a short term higher AAV deal

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Pettersson/Dahlen = twins
Horvat = Kesler
Boeser = an angry Mikael Samuselson after the Swedish Olympic team rejected him like a high school cheerleader rejects a pimple faced nerd.

Speaking of Samuelson, his 2nd half performance in that 2009/2010 season is one of my favorite memories of all-time :D. Man was that guy ever ticked off. Was great for us though. He played with a huge chip on his shoulder after the Olympic snub.

We’re bringing back 2011 one player at a time. :p

Sutter = expensive Malhottra.
Demko = Schneider
Lind = Hansen
Leipsic = Burrows

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad