Player Discussion Elias Lindholm

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Bad. He’s been a ghost all year.

He’s also been given every opportunity to get out of it. Between two teams. It’s not a situational thing; he’s lost a step. And it appears he doesn’t know how to get it together.
He was solid last game defensively and made some key clears. He hasn't been all bad but he's been more 'meh' than anything good.

Reactions: geebster

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
As bad as this discourse. Watch a game ffs.
I wanted to know how much I should value your opinion. Just for some reason did not ask it directly.

So here goes:

Tell me how many Calgary games you watched before Lindholm was traded and how were his underlying metrics during that time.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I want to see something Drance kinda cautiously broached: Lindholm with some minutes centring our best overall and best playmaking winger. That would be J.T. Miller.

• Wow
Reactions: HockeyWooot

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Loui Eriksson type fall off tbh. Hes actually looked worse than his numbers suggest..which is saying something (offensively at least).

Like he doesnt really want to go out there and make a difference.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Contrary to the narrative, Lindholm has done some very nice things since he's been here:
-best defensive forward
-60% on faceoffs
-only 5 give aways in 24 games!
-lowest oZS%, highest dZS% of any forward.

He's frequently matched up against the other teams strongest line/forward. High minute forward and matched up against Draisaitl the whole Edmonton game.

Clearly he's being used in a defensive role, not surprisingly given the other two centres are Miller and EP.

Has his offensive game declined beyond the reason that he's mostly being used in a defensive role? yes.

Is he earning his $4.8M? yes

Is he worth what he's going to get in his next contract? Unlikely.

He's not the perfect player but he's isn't close to the disaster being described here IMHO. If they go on a run in the playoffs, having Lindholm in the 3C role is likely going to be a big reason why.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Contrary to the narrative, Lindholm has done some very nice things since he's been here:
-best defensive forward
-60% on faceoffs

He's frequently matched up against the other teams strongest line/forward. High minute forward and matched up against Draisaitl the whole Edmonton game.

Clearly he's being used in a defensive role, not surprisingly given the other two centres are Miller and EP.

Has his offensive game declined beyond the reason that he's mostly being used in a defensive role? yes.

He's not the perfect player but he's isn't close to the disaster being described here IMHO. If they go on a run in the playoffs, having Lindholm in the 3C role is likely going to be a big reason why.

This is a really nice summary. Agreed he's been a huge net gain defensively. I don't know how much offense to reasonably expect from a guy when he gets saddled with the likes of Mikheyev/PDG are, either.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
This is a really nice summary. Agreed he's been a huge net gain defensively. I don't know how much offense to reasonably expect from a guy when he gets saddled with the likes of Mikheyev/PDG are, either.
Yeah, historically he has been a complementary offensive player. Not much to complement with Mikheyev and PDG.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
-best defensive forward
-60% on faceoffs

Petey-Miller-Lindholm-Blueger is insane C depth on paper; if Lindholm can hold up against other team's top centers while Petey finds his touch we'll be looking back wondering how the heck a team so stacked down the middle wasn't rated more highly for the post-season.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Loui Eriksson type fall off tbh. Hes actually looked worse than his numbers suggest..which is saying something (offensively at least).

Like he doesnt really want to go out there and make a difference.

Not even close. He's been bad offensively, but his defensive play has been excellent. He brings the ability to win key faceoffs in the defensive end, and you have to think he eventually figures out how to score again.

Eriksson was garbage from the moment he scored on his own net.

Reactions: Wry n Ginger

ghostingtaro

Nov 2, 2013
lindholm is basically put in the same role as manny malholtra was, the only difference is lindholm is not as physical was malholtra

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Lindholm's lack of offense and inability to find some chemistry with other top players is a major disappointment given what we paid to get him. But he has given this team some useful depth and hasn't looked like he's cooked yet. Nothing like Louie Eriksson. I can't see Lindholm getting paid anything remotely close to what Calgary had offered him at the start of the year. That must be haunting him badly right now.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Honestly no one really cares about his defense at the end of the day. If this guy goes 10 GP 0G 3A hes gonna be hated on considering the price we paid for him.

We paid to get him for him to score goals. This team needed another top 6 difference maker, not Malholtra 2.0.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Honestly no one really cares about his defense at the end of the day. If this guy goes 10 GP 0G 3A hes gonna be hated on considering the price we paid for him.

We paid to get him for him to score goals. This team needed another top 6 difference maker, not Malholtra 2.0.

Blame would probably go more on management than anything.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

I mean if he can go head to head against the oppositions top lines and come out even then that's a pretty good result, no? Would free up the Miller and Petey line for easier matchups and more offense. I would look at running with:

Hoglander - Petersson - Boeser
Joshua - Miller - Garland
Mikheyev - Lindholm - Lafferty
Suter - Bleuger - Podkolzin

That 3rd line could be our version of Neidermeyer - Pahlsson - Moen

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver

you mean sami pahulsson. shudders that was a bad trade before.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I mean if he can go head to head against the oppositions top lines and come out even then that's a pretty good result, no? Would free up the Miller and Petey line for easier matchups and more offense. I would look at running with:

Hoglander - Petersson - Boeser
Joshua - Miller - Garland
Mikheyev - Lindholm - Lafferty
Suter - Bleuger - Podkolzin

That 3rd line could be our version of Neidermeyer - Pahlsson - Moen

I mean, if we win the cup then yeah everythings golden.

We didnt pay a 1st and a good prospect and Kuzmeko for 3 months of Pahlsson.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
-best defensive forward
-60% on faceoffs

Get outta here with this positivity
This is Hfcanucks bro

• Haha
Reactions: iceburg

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I don't think they did actually. They got him so they had great center ice depth. Yes it would be nice to see more offense, however, the stuff everyone wants to ignore is perhaps more important come playoff time. They were still actively looking for a top 6 winger immediately after the lindholm trade that I don't think the plan was ever for him to be a top 6 offensive difference maker. It was to provide a presence at center that could take match ups and free up the other 2 lines a bit.

And honestly his offense started off fine...6 pts in 8 games. Then he went through a 1 point in 12 game dip while apparently playing injured though had a couple of points right before taking time out from play. 2 pts in his 3 games since he came back. So essentially it was 6 in 8, 1 in 12 and 4 in 5 thus far.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

That simply not true

We acquired him so Blueger isn’t our 3C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad