Confirmed with Link: El Niño extended (3x4M)

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It's not just other posters. I've seen it from our hf Jets posters quite often.

It also may be a bit different when you have the chance to acquire a player and they re sign (ie demelo, Stastny, names, nino) vs trying to lure them in UFA when they haven't had sort of an in-season preview of being on the team.

The city does itself no favours for visiting teams. The route from the airport to downtown is ugly. The Fairmont is dumpy. If you want to go outside to walk to the rink, it's bad. The underground path to the arena is ugly.

Get a player here in a certain stage of their life and I think the org is fine at keeping players, above average even. They won't attract big UFAs and that's fine. They'll be on a lot of NTCs and that's fine. Sometimes you get a Dubois that wants something different, you can't control that.

Nov 24, 2006
The city does itself no favours for visiting teams. The route from the airport to downtown is ugly. The Fairmont is dumpy. If you want to go outside to walk to the rink, it's bad. The underground path to the arena is ugly.

Get a player here in a certain stage of their life and I think the org is fine at keeping players, above average even. They won't attract big UFAs and that's fine. They'll be on a lot of NTCs and that's fine. Sometimes you get a Dubois that wants something different, you can't control that.
Word.

If the arena had been built where the Bombers stadium is now, Or any suburban location for that matter. I would be curious about Winnipeg's perception amongst NHL players.

Downtown Winnipeg is not a place many people want to be. And when they're done downtown, they scatter.

Nov 24, 2006
vrvqyjgs1mf51.jpg

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Forgive this fan living far away but why does Winnipeg have such a negative reputation? My friend that migrated to where I live, Columbus, Georgia, is from northern Manitoba that is a huge Jets fan and has literally gotten into fights if someone says anything bad about Winnipeg.

So where does the negative reputation come from? My friend says is a great small city and is extremely proud of it. I know for as long as I've been a NHL fan going back to 1980 I've heard about how hard the Jets had it in keeping players.

From my own research it seems it is a very nice city to live in FWIW. I know you guys and gals on this board are very friendly and nice and I think that speaks well for the general Manitoba community.
Yeah the cold and mosquito BS gets old. Thanks to El Nino(weather phenomenon, not the hockey player), we barely have any snow so far and will still be in +C temps well into December. Late December into January usually gets very cold for a couple weeks during normal winter years, but it doesnt last and ill take it over the mountains of snow they get further east and west of us. We have the warmest and sunniest summers in Canada with many days over +30C, and i barely notice mosquitos anymore(the city has done a great job of prevention over the last decade+). People seem to think its crime ridden but 99% of the time its drug dealers/gang members killing each-other, and every city has places that you dont walk around in at night. Its no worse than other cities the same size. We have an amazing food scene here too that rivals and even surpasses much bigger cities. Its also a very affordable city to live in. Im firmly middle class and my new home will be paid off before i hit 60. In Toronto or Vancouver it would be a million+ and i'd be making mortgage payments until i died. Winnipeg gets a shit rap. Its a great city.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yeah the cold and mosquito BS gets old. Thanks to El Nino(weather phenomenon, not the hockey player), we barely have any snow so far and will still be in +C temps well into December. Late December into January usually gets very cold for a couple weeks during normal winter years, but it doesnt last and ill take it over the mountains of snow they get further east and west of us. We have the warmest and sunniest summers in Canada with many days over +30C, and i barely notice mosquitos anymore(the city has done a great job of prevention over the last decade+). People seem to think its crime ridden but 99% of the time its drug dealers/gang members killing each-other, and every city has places that you dont walk around in at night. Its no worse than other cities the same size. We have an amazing food scene here too that rivals and even surpasses much bigger cities. Its also a very affordable city to live in. Im firmly middle class and my new home will be paid off before i hit 60. In Toronto or Vancouver it would be a million+ and i'd be making mortgage payments until i died. Winnipeg gets a shit rap. Its a great city.
Great post, and I certainly agree with all your points. The last thing I'd want to do is spend most of my life in a traffic jam, or paying 2.5 times higher for the price of a house. I would not want to be a very young person living in Toronto, or Vancouver, and looking at a very bleak picture of ever being able to afford a home. A bit scary.

I should add, I don't recall being bitten by one mosquito in the last 2 years, and over the last 10 years, very very little of those little bastards. People of Winnipeg should stick up for their community, instead of going along with other people's sentiments. It's pretty affordable and OK here in Winnipeg.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Totally agree, i have a friend who lives in Toronto and has 3 jobs to pay his rent, ooooo where do i sign up for that? And as a guy who golfs alot and has a cabin, we have great summers here. And my mortgage is now paid off and i can afford to travel because my cost of living in Winnipeg is reasonable.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
City slogan ideas:

Winnipeg: It's not for everyone...
Winnipeg: Do you have what it takes?
Winnipeg: Inexplicable!
Winnipeg: Too tough for you?
Winnipeg: Basically Switzerland
Winnipeg: Get out of this neighborhood before dark
Winnipeg: We were born here, whats your excuse (Simpsons reference)
Winnipeg: At least its cheap

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
City slogan ideas:

Winnipeg: It's not for everyone...
Winnipeg: Do you have what it takes?
Winnipeg: Inexplicable!
Winnipeg: Too tough for you?
Winnipeg: Basically Switzerland
Particularly like the Swiss reference.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Forgive this fan living far away but why does Winnipeg have such a negative reputation? My friend that migrated to where I live, Columbus, Georgia, is from northern Manitoba that is a huge Jets fan and has literally gotten into fights if someone says anything bad about Winnipeg.

So where does the negative reputation come from? My friend says is a great small city and is extremely proud of it. I know for as long as I've been a NHL fan going back to 1980 I've heard about how hard the Jets had it in keeping players.

From my own research it seems it is a very nice city to live in FWIW. I know you guys and gals on this board are very friendly and nice and I think that speaks well for the general Manitoba community.
imo you're getting the perspective here from the average person. these millionaire athletes are not in the same category..... our trials & tribulations aren't the same.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Can you name a route in winnipeg that doesn't suck? The forks and exchange near the arena are the only decent looking parts of winnipeg... so NHL players get the best if the city actually

And the route from the airport to edmonton is 1000x worse... in fact almost every airport drive kind of sucks

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Totally agree, i have a friend who lives in Toronto and has 3 jobs to pay his rent, ooooo where do i sign up for that? And as a guy who golfs alot and has a cabin, we have great summers here. And my mortgage is now paid off and i can afford to travel because my cost of living in Winnipeg is reasonable.

Lake Manitoba and Lake Winnipeg just over and under an hour away. Can't beat that. Even Kenora Is only 2.5 hours really

Can you name a route in winnipeg that doesn't suck? The forks and exchange near the arena are the only decent looking parts of winnipeg... so NHL players get the best if the city actually

And the route from the airport to edmonton is 1000x worse... in fact almost every airport drive kind of sucks

So you obviously haven't been down there recently at night.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I think if you get to areas like River Heights, down Academy/Wellington Cres, or down to Lindenwoods/Tuxedo, or Corydon past Kenaston where you get closer to the Park, those are nicer areas, they have things that you can do with a bit of money, which is what these guys will have. Even like East St Paul can have some decent places.

I just did the Alberta #2 Highway this past summer, the route isn't great but when you come out of Richardson into the industrial parts of Sargent and Ellice and then down bumpy St James or backed up Route 90 to Portage with nothing really down that way until you get to U of W when you start to see Portage Place, and then get into your hotel with dingy room lighting and paper thin walls, it doesn't create the best impression.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
I think if you get to areas like River Heights, down Academy/Wellington Cres, or down to Lindenwoods/Tuxedo, or Corydon past Kenaston where you get closer to the Park, those are nicer areas, they have things that you can do with a bit of money, which is what these guys will have. Even like East St Paul can have some decent places.

I just did the Alberta #2 Highway this past summer, the route isn't great but when you come out of Richardson into the industrial parts of Sargent and Ellice and then down bumpy St James or backed up Route 90 to Portage with nothing really down that way until you get to U of W when you start to see Portage Place, and then get into your hotel with dingy room lighting and paper thin walls, it doesn't create the best impression.
I'd also add approaching downtown from St. Mary's, Tache, Marion and Provencher are all very nice. You get to see the skyline hovering over the rivers and, at least on Tache, Marion and Provencher, some nice old brick buildings. Those streets have more of a European feel.

I'm definitely a shameless Winnipeg booster though. I've travelled a lot and lived in the Vancouver Met area and would pick Winnipeg, specifically my current neighborhood on the Seine River, above any other place I've been.

It's vastly underrated in public perception but always ranks quite high on the liveability and affordability indexes that come out for Canadian cities every few years. I can see how more mature, family-oriented NHLers would fall in love with it and how the younger, flashier guys would want out of here (ex. PLD and Kane).

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
One other thing and to me it's a big thing is you don't have to leave 2 hours before your shift starts to get to work on time and it doesn't take another 2 hours to get home after work. Some of the big flashy cities like LA , Toronto ect the traffic is horrible everyday all day. I'll take shity Winnipeg even if we don't have a airport and teams have to bus in according to alot of posters on other teams sites. Just hilarious. :laugh:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

As one who's lived and worked in both Winnipeg and Southwestern Ontario, I second everything you say. I don't think it's just nostalgia for my own home, that I feel Winnipeg is better in almost every way than this part of Canada. I'm not even in Toronto or the GTA and the average detached home price around here is around a million (it was $1.2 million before the interest rate hikes). If we'd stayed in Winnipeg we would have paid off our house years ago. As it stands the only reason we can afford the house we have is be bought it many years ago when prices weren't so bad around here (I live near Kitchener, ON).

My whole career I've worked as a criminal lawyer, both prosecutor and defence over the years. I can verify that 90% of Winnipeg's crime happens between gang members and in a specific area. The vast majority of the city is extremely safe, to the point that there is a noticeable difference in the competence of police officers who work in Downtown and North divisions versus other areas simply due to experience (or lack thereof). Aside from certain areas, Winnipeg is probably better than some cities its size ... I certainly felt safer walking around Charleswood or Fort Garry at night than I do in many places around here.

Food/restaurant scene destroys southwestern ontario. Very hard to find a great restaurant here, they're all mediocre in my experience. In Winnipeg its hard NOT to find a great restaurant.

What you say about winters is news to me. When we left Winnipeg in 2008 it was still full-on winter with snow and well below zero temperatures from Hallowe'en til Easter. That's been the #1 reason my wife doesn't want to go back because she felt trapped inside the house with the kids 6 months of the year. If the climate has changed that much in Winnipeg (in southwestern Ontario it's exactly the same now as when we moved here in '08) we may have to revisit the concept of moving back. If mortgage rates don't drop we could easily be forced to sell our house when we have to renew in 2025 and if we need to sell, maybe just go whole hog and return home.

Also people are friendlier and more down-to-earth in Winnipeg. I've NEVER been able to fully adjust to southwestern Ontario or make the type of solid friends I had in Winnipeg.

EDIT: Forgot to add ... in Winnipeg you don't need to worry about spending hundreds on rust proofing every fall only to have your car still rust out within 10 years due to the stupendous amount of salt on the roads in Onterrible.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
As one who's lived and worked in both Winnipeg and Southwestern Ontario, I second everything you say. I don't think it's just nostalgia for my own home, that I feel Winnipeg is better in almost every way than this part of Canada. I'm not even in Toronto or the GTA and the average detached home price around here is around a million (it was $1.2 million before the interest rate hikes). If we'd stayed in Winnipeg we would have paid off our house years ago. As it stands the only reason we can afford the house we have is be bought it many years ago when prices weren't so bad around here (I live near Kitchener, ON).

My whole career I've worked as a criminal lawyer, both prosecutor and defence over the years. I can verify that 90% of Winnipeg's crime happens between gang members and in a specific area. The vast majority of the city is extremely safe, to the point that there is a noticeable difference in the competence of police officers who work in Downtown and North divisions versus other areas simply due to experience (or lack thereof). Aside from certain areas, Winnipeg is probably better than some cities its size ... I certainly felt safer walking around Charleswood or Fort Garry at night than I do in many places around here.

Food/restaurant scene destroys southwestern ontario. Very hard to find a great restaurant here, they're all mediocre in my experience. In Winnipeg its hard NOT to find a great restaurant.

What you say about winters is news to me. When we left Winnipeg in 2008 it was still full-on winter with snow and well below zero temperatures from Hallowe'en til Easter. That's been the #1 reason my wife doesn't want to go back because she felt trapped inside the house with the kids 6 months of the year. If the climate has changed that much in Winnipeg (in southwestern Ontario it's exactly the same now as when we moved here in '08) we may have to revisit the concept of moving back. If mortgage rates don't drop we could easily be forced to sell our house when we have to renew in 2025 and if we need to sell, maybe just go whole hog and return home.

Also people are friendlier and more down-to-earth in Winnipeg. I've NEVER been able to fully adjust to southwestern Ontario or make the type of solid friends I had in Winnipeg.

EDIT: Forgot to add ... in Winnipeg you don't need to worry about spending hundreds on rust proofing every fall only to have your car still rust out within 10 years due to the stupendous amount of salt on the roads in Onterrible.
+6C tomorrow baby! Common' back!

Last edited:

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com

And don't forget the poor WiFi...:sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad