Confirmed with Link: El Niño extended (3x4M)

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I'd also add approaching downtown from St. Mary's, Tache, Marion and Provencher are all very nice. You get to see the skyline hovering over the rivers and, at least on Tache, Marion and Provencher, some nice old brick buildings. Those streets have more of a European feel.

I'm definitely a shameless Winnipeg booster though. I've travelled a lot and lived in the Vancouver Met area and would pick Winnipeg, specifically my current neighborhood on the Seine River, above any other place I've been.

It's vastly underrated in public perception but always ranks quite high on the liveability and affordability indexes that come out for Canadian cities every few years. I can see how more mature, family-oriented NHLers would fall in love with it and how the younger, flashier guys would want out of here (ex. PLD and Kane).
The Peg came in at #3 in a recent Globe & Mail "Canada's most liveable cities"

It might have a paywall but you should be able to get at it if you clear your cache/history.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Also people are friendlier and more down-to-earth in Winnipeg.

You've clearly forgotten what it's like to drive around Winnipeg and deal with the multitude of assholes that feel it's their mission in life to keep people from changing lanes or merging. :banghead:
Oh it grows on you all right... like athlete's foot
Beat me to it. And, ya gotta love those nail fungus ads. :laugh:

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
You've clearly forgotten what it's like to drive around Winnipeg and deal with the multitude of assholes that feel it's their mission in life to keep people from changing lanes or merging. :banghead:

Oh my lord do I hate that, you signal to get into the lane and so they speed up to close the gap.

Also yay Nino.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Great signing. Good size, physicality, scoring and defensive presence. I have no idea how a guy with this kind of profile has been bouncing around in the league.

Low-key he is what I wanted Pierre Luc Dubois to be night in and night out.

100% agree when you consider how productive he is given his usage, linemates, and assigments, he is such a valuable asset.

Reactions: Jets 31 and UFO

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Lake Manitoba and Lake Winnipeg just over and under an hour away. Can't beat that. Even Kenora Is only 2.5 hours really

So you obviously haven't been down there recently at night.
Admittedly I'm a happy hour guy when in the peg

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Just got back Monday and I had forgotten about the speed up thing when you signal to change lanes then honk like they're being cut off... I was like right that's why no one signals

Heaven forbid you see a yellow light and don't speed up - that's a ten car pileup haha

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Some players like Wheeler and his wife came here and seemed to enjoy the city , Some players like Frolic and his wife couldn't get out of the city fast enough. Winnipeg isn't a glitzy big time city, never will be and believe or not some players like that.

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
A Swiss tabloid asked Nino if living in Winnipeg really felt like being in a prison camp. He replied in a serious tone, that Winnipeg was one of the most underrated cities in the world. He loves the food, the people an the passionate fans (best fans in the NHL) there.

Needless to say I sent them an email and complained about the prison camp remark. They need to learn some respect and decency.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
How does a a Nino signing become a 2 and 1/2 page discussion on Winnipeg/weather/ Restaurants/ things to do and traffic reports.

Recent Trade deadline deals have accounted for signing these solid vets to longer contracts that backfill our line up nicely..,

-Nameskinov- ( 4th round pick) 2 year extension signed
- Demelo (3 rd round pick) 3 year extension signed…
- Nino (2 nd round pick)/ 3 year extension signed
- Baron ( coop trade) 5 RFA years multiple extensions

Good use of mid round picks to backfill our middle depth on the team…

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
A Swiss tabloid asked Nino if living in Winnipeg really felt like being in a prison camp. He replied in a serious tone, that Winnipeg was one of the most underrated cities in the world. He loves the food, the people an the passionate fans (best fans in the NHL) there.

Needless to say I sent them an email and complained about the prison camp remark. They need to learn some respect and decency.

Agreed. We're more like a remand centre.

i-kid-triump-the-insult-dog.gif

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Players WANT to play in Winnipeg. That should be the narrative.

It's almost as bad as "zipper merge guy" who flies by 50 cars and expects to be the first one through or flies into a rage.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I think this is universal, at least in North America. Can't think of a place I've driven in Canada at least where this doesn't happen. I frankly find people in the Kitchener area at least on par if not worse than Winnipeg for speeding up to block out out from merging.

In Europe I've found people much better. In England, on the M5 was probably my best driving experience despite being on the wrong side of the car and road. Everyone lets everyone in there, and moreover, they adhere strictly to using the passing lanes ONLY for passing. Immediately after passing they moved back to the travel lane. There was tons of traffic on that highway but it flowed so smoothly. Poles weren't quite to that level, but driving around Poland most of this past spring was a good experience too (in terms of other drivers; the full size van the rental company gave us was a bit harrowing on some of those European streets).

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
So yeah, Nino Niederreiter is a real good player and glad to have him for three more seasons.
Agreed. Nino is certainly a Bowness type guy along with Namestikov. If I have one concern about this team, it's whether our small skill guys can compete with Dallas and Vegas etc.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think this is universal, at least in North America. Can't think of a place I've driven in Canada at least where this doesn't happen. I frankly find people in the Kitchener area at least on par if not worse than Winnipeg for speeding up to block out out from merging.

In Europe I've found people much better. In England, on the M5 was probably my best driving experience despite being on the wrong side of the car and road. Everyone lets everyone in there, and moreover, they adhere strictly to using the passing lanes ONLY for passing. Immediately after passing they moved back to the travel lane. There was tons of traffic on that highway but it flowed so smoothly. Poles weren't quite to that level, but driving around Poland most of this past spring was a good experience too (in terms of other drivers; the full size van the rental company gave us was a bit harrowing on some of those European streets).
That's a pet peeve of mine, don't do 10km's an hour below the speed limit in the passing lane, get the hell over if you want to drive slow and god forbid you use your rear view mirror for something other than looking at yourself.:laugh: Oh and Neo is a perfect fit for the Jets.

Reactions: GNP and macmaroon

STZD

Jan 13, 2018

I think the exception, in Canada at least, is Montreal. For all its faults, it is much easier to merge and zipper. The traffic sucks here, but the road rage related to others changing lanes is noticeably less. I was driving in Winnipeg last week, and it is a big adjustment, dealing with the unhappy honkers who want everyone to stay in their lanes.

Reactions: GNP

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Mexico has the 2nd craziest drivers I have seen (haven't been to Europe), but they merge or zipper like it should be done.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Players WANT to play in Winnipeg. That should be the narrative.

It's almost as bad as "zipper merge guy" who flies by 50 cars and expects to be the first one through or flies into a rage.

Oh I love it when they fail and are stuck behind me. I start driving just a little slower :laugh:

EDIT: To clarify, I thought this was referencing the guy who weaves in different lanes just to get ahead, not zipper merge guy. My bad.

I've even seen people drive 150+ Km/hr on the shoulder of the perimeter highway just to get ahead.

Reactions: Channelcat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad