Rumor: eklund

Wrong Box Legwand

Jul 29, 2013
Others beat me to it, but I could definitely see us adding Goose or Spaling or booth to free up space and/or perhaps get us a better return.

ilikeblocks

Still a registered user
Feb 16, 2008
I believe he was the first to call the Buff to the Thashers trade. Carter to LA too.

Yeah - Eklund has had a really good track record as of late. He's been dead on with some Flyers moves - he seems to have a good bead on the northeastern teams.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I vote No to trading Klein!!!

I don't get why everyone wants to trade away Klein all the time. I get that his contract makes him a "good value", but we're not exactly in a position of strength to be trading away experienced dmen for more forwards just because a player is under a good contract. Isn't his good value contract what makes him a good player for us to keep?

Yes we need offense, but what good will it be to score one more goal per game if we can't even get out of our own end? Pekka can't stop every shot and Weber can't be on the ice for 60 minutes (no matter how much we would like to believe otherwise). Sacrificing defense for offense. How is that working out for a team like Edmonton?

I wouldn't be too excited going into the season with a defense core that had ONE player with over 100 games experience. Meanwhile the rest don't even add up to half the games that that one dman has played.

Has anyone in the Nashville press reported this rumor?
:biglaugh::laugh: yeah right.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
We should use a buyout on goose

this is not gonna happen, at least not this year(its too late)

Poile signed Goose for a reason and if he is now healthy he will provide a valuable skillset. The players acquired this summer were intended to play with him, not replace him.

I could see us using our second compliance buyout on him next summer if he keeps getting hurt or proves to be ineffective this year.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Eklund's credit has really diminished over the past 3 or 4 years. He throws out a lot of "rumors."
The "problem" with Eklund is that he has no filter and doesn't bother to judge plausibility. He reports absolutely everything he hears or thinks he hears. This makes him useful for idle speculation, but utterly useless for prediction.

Does he have sources? Yes. Does he use them well? Not in the slightest.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
this is not gonna happen, at least not this year(its too late)

Poile signed Goose for a reason and if he is now healthy he will provide a valuable skillset. The players acquired this summer were intended to play with him, not replace him.

I could see us using our second compliance buyout on him next summer if he keeps getting hurt or proves to be ineffective this year.

Goose averages playing 70 games a season, so he doesn't miss many games. I think if his shoulder has healed he will play a lot of games, I just think the Preds could use his money in a better way for a better player.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Goose averages playing 70 games a season, so he doesn't miss many games. I think if his shoulder has healed he will play a lot of games, I just think the Preds could use his money in a better way for a better player.

You're clearly not alone in that sentiment, but I don't think it is one shared by Poile, who I believe sees Gaustad as a rather important part of this team going forward.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I will say when he plays, Gaustad is really good at what he does. Killing penalties, faceoffs, standing up for teammates (especially Rinne) and just being freaking big. I'd take him over Spaling or Smith for sure, it's just he seems to be hurt constantly.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
After doing some research, to find another player that is close to Goose's salary is pretty difficult. Looks like 3.25m is in the middle of the scale. Most players that are as good or better are around 4m and up. A few players that are in the 3.25m would be: CKelly BOS, MSammuelsson DET, TKennedy SJS, TBrouwer WAS, DPerron EDM, DBrassard NYR, CHiggins VAN, RPeverly DAL, MHanzal RVrbata MBoedker PHX, JBailey MMoulson MGrabner KOkposo NYI.

Would any of them trade with us? What if we throw in Spaling too? Who would we want?

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
After doing some research, to find another player that is close to Goose's salary is pretty difficult. Looks like 3.25m is in the middle of the scale. Most players that are as good or better are around 4m and up. A few players that are in the 3.25m would be: CKelly BOS, MSammuelsson DET, TKennedy SJS, TBrouwer WAS, DPerron EDM, DBrassard NYR, CHiggins VAN, RPeverly DAL, MHanzal RVrbata MBoedker PHX, JBailey MMoulson MGrabner KOkposo NYI.

Would any of them trade with us? What if we throw in Spaling too? Who would we want?

Shoot. I would take any of Perron, Hanzal, Vrbata, Boedker, Moulson, or Grabner over Gaustad.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Easy choice and in order...

1. Hanzal
2. Boedker
3. Grabner

Realistically, none of them, especially for goose and spals.....

Yes, most of the guys listed are on contracts that are probably less than the value they realistically have to their teams. I don't see any of the guys we would want actually being available. And even then, most of those guys don't fill the role that Goose does in this lineup. A lot of us may view him as an extraneous piece, but I think it's rather the opposite.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Yes, most of the guys listed are on contracts that are probably less than the value they realistically have to their teams. I don't see any of the guys we would want actually being available. And even then, most of those guys don't fill the role that Goose does in this lineup. A lot of us may view him as an extraneous piece, but I think it's rather the opposite.

I agree Goose has some value but I really hate seeing a guy take a draw and lose a faceoff and have to race off the ice so the forward that should be out there already can get on the ice. To me that is just stupid. You don't see any stanley cup contender doing that at all. Their centers tend to know how to win faceoffs at a decent clip and the need for someone like Goose isn't there. Yes he does kill penalties but so do a lot of our players and I honestly havn't seen any real improvement in our PK since he joined the team. 3.25m for a 4th line center is not money well spent especially when we have others that could do his job now signed. I really hope we trade him for somrthing although I dought we ever will...

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I did a little research on what the new players we signed during the offseason and based it off of ppg and Stalberg and Cullen were good signings while Nystrom and Hendricks were overpaid for what they produce. I haven't done it for Gaustad but will in a few minutes to see what the numbers really look like.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I agree Goose has some value but I really hate seeing a guy take a draw and lose a faceoff and have to race off the ice so the forward that should be out there already can get on the ice. To me that is just stupid. You don't see any stanley cup contender doing that at all. Their centers tend to know how to win faceoffs at a decent clip and the need for someone like Goose isn't there. Yes he does kill penalties but so do a lot of our players and I honestly havn't seen any real improvement in our PK since he joined the team. 3.25m for a 4th line center is not money well spent especially when we have others that could do his job now signed. I really hope we trade him for somrthing although I dought we ever will...

I disagree on the face off issue. Stanley Cup contenders, and champions, often have players that they will heavily rely on in the face off circle, and will often throw him out there just to take the draw and then get off the ice. Guys like Brind'Amour, Pahlsson, Madden, Bergeron, were all instrumental in such a role. This is less a reflection of Gaustad's ability on the ice, and more about how much better he is at face-offs than the rest of our roster.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I disagree on the face off issue. Stanley Cup contenders, and champions, often have players that they will heavily rely on in the face off circle, and will often throw him out there just to take the draw and then get off the ice. Guys like Brind'Amour, Pahlsson, Madden, Bergeron, were all instrumental in such a role. This is less a reflection of Gaustad's ability on the ice, and more about how much better he is at face-offs than the rest of our roster.

Big difference with Brind'Amour and Bergeron, they stayed on the ice and were key contributors offensively and defensively. Toews is another great example. I think that's what the previous poster was referring to. Guys that can win faceoffs AND play hockey, not just be a limited player.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
So doing some research if we go back to the 2010/2011 season, Gaustad played 81 games averaging .38 ppg with a salary of $2.3 million. Kyle Turris played 65 games averaging the same .38 ppg with a salary of $2.65 million and Danius Zubrus played 79 games averaging the same with a salary of $3.4 million. So that season, with comparable numbers and the intangibles that Gaustad brought, his salary was a bargain compared to others in that salary realm.

Moving on to the 2011/2012 season Gaustad played 70 games for Buffalo/Nashville averaging .30 ppg with a salary of $2.3 million. Shawn Mattias and Tim Brent played 70 games averaging .30 ppg but had salaries of $851,000 and $750,000. Kyle Chipchura played 53 games for $550,000 averaging .30 ppg while Matt Stajan played 61 games for $3.5 million while averaging .30 ppg. Stajan is clearly overpaid while Gaustad is high salaried compared to what he brought point wise that particular season compared to the other three mentioned.

What does it all mean? I think at the end of the day, with the intangibles that Gaustad brings, he honestly needs to average above .4 ppg to warrant his current salary. That is going to be hard to do as he'll be lucky to average 12-15 minutes a night with the depth with have up the middle with Cullen, Legwand and Fisher. While his size and faceoff ability are nice, does it warrant the salary he's getting considering we have some of the same type of pieces on the team already. At the time of the deal I didn't like it and after we went out and signed Hendricks and Nystrom for the money we did, while it adds grit and sandpaper to the team, it's hard to justify spending that type of money on guys who average around a point every 3-4 games. Sure, they're 4th liners but those types of guys are a dime a dozen in this league. Save the money for guys that can put the biscuit in the basket.

As far as the rumors go, I think Poile sees what he has after training camp and addresses team needs with the available forwards we have. I can see one of the bottom 6 forwards being moved for a 3rd pairing veteran defenseman or a possible back up goalie or two forwards being moved for d and a goalie. Let the competition begin and see where the chips fall.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Big difference with Brind'Amour and Bergeron, they stayed on the ice and were key contributors offensively and defensively. Toews is another great example. I think that's what the previous poster was referring to. Guys that can win faceoffs AND play hockey, not just be a limited player.

Sure, but a guy that can play both sides of the ice AND win faceoffs with that success is not exactly common across the league. And Gaustad is not a limited player by any means, regardless of his lack of scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad