PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Last edited by a moderator:

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
*The Islanders and Predators are discussing a "mid level" player swap. The Isles are looking for a defenseman with a bit more experience, the Preds looking for a forward...more specifically "a top nine guy who will develop into a top six."

This is what he has posted today.
Any ideas on players? Any guesses? Ellis?

Bailey? Okposo?

Ellis, Klein?

Klein for Okposo?

Edit: And where did you see this

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
We only have 3 defensemen with experience, in fact, I'd say we really lack defensive depth more than anything other than top line forwards. So I don't see how this trade would benefit us.

Now if it was us shopping a 3rd line forward for a defenseman with a bit more experience, I'd understand it more.

We have extra top 9 forwards we don't have extra experienced defensemen.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
We only have 3 defensemen with experience, in fact, I'd say we really lack defensive depth more than anything other than top line forwards. So I don't see how this trade would benefit us.

Now if it was us shopping a 3rd line forward for a defenseman with a bit more experience, I'd understand it more.

We have extra top 9 forwards we don't have extra experienced defensemen.

I think this is just another EK "throw it against the wall and see what sticks" post...

as you say, the logical thing would be the exact opposite.. us shopping Spaling for a 5/6/7 defenseman

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
*The Islanders and Predators are discussing a "mid level" player swap. The Isles are looking for a defenseman with a bit more experience, the Preds looking for a forward...more specifically "a top nine guy who will develop into a top six."

This is what he has posted today.
Any ideas on players? Any guesses? Ellis?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...l-Isles-Preds-NYR-Cleary/1/53818#.Ui8ClH_pz-5

I saw this rumor and discussed it on the nyi board. Has anyone in the Nashville press reported this rumor?

I would find it more credible, if De Haan+ Reinhart were not impressing in prospect camp and if Snow had not spent the last four months hyping Donovan as nhl ready. Isles have one spot on D open and three kids making a good case for that one spot.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Hmmm they would make interesting trade partners. Maybe Poile is working something like he did with Washington? Maybe the Isles feel like they are one Klein piece away and the Preds are willing to open that RD on the 2nd line for Jones and keep Josi with Weber...

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
With Klein's new and very affordable contract, I don't see him as the piece that would head north. Ellis would be my prediction.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
So is Ellis considered mid level with experience?
Who would be coming back that would help?

Hmmmm...good questions. To the first question, IMO, no. To the second, I'm really not sure. We are so overloaded with roster spots right now, I'm not sure.

I guess I'm just looking at it from a process of elimination. It's not Weber, Jones, or Josi. Klein fits mid-level with experience, but like I said, he just signed a cheap, long-term contract. I just don't see it being him. Ellis and Ekholm don't match that description, but I just don't see anyone else. Bartley maybe (a big stretch)??

ilikeblocks

Still a registered user
Feb 16, 2008
I just don't think Klein gets traded. In Eklund's opinion, Ellis could be mid-level with experience.

Bailey just re-signed to a long deal, I don't think he gets moved. Would love Okposo - he's on a nice contract and an Ellis/Okposo deal would be a nice "do-over" for both players.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I just don't think Klein gets traded. In Eklund's opinion, Ellis could be mid-level with experience.

Bailey just re-signed to a long deal, I don't think he gets moved. Would love Okposo - he's on a nice contract and an Ellis/Okposo deal would be a nice "do-over" for both players.

There is a Snow interview from 2-3 days ago, on NYSportsTalk. He has one spot open on D and talks about how Reinhart/Donovan/ Haan/Ness all deserve a chance.

I would be a little surprised if 19 yr old Reinhart sticks because the 22 yr olds Donovan/De Haan are more experienced. I would be very surprised if Snow blocks Donovan/De Haan's nhl path, especially with the reports of Reinhart/De Haan impressing in camp

Also, I cannot see Snow moving Okposo, when he is the engine that drove the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo line.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
i don't know who we would get in return from NYI, but there is no way I can see us trading Klein. Would be extremely surprised.

I could see Ekholm/Ellis as front runners to be moved. Especially Ellis.

Interesting stuff though.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
If okposo and bailey are on reasonable contracts, why not move Klein? We lose a reasonable contract and gain one back, seems fair imo.

I would love bailey or okposo in a gold jersey!

Then sign hainsey to 'replace' Klein and lets see what happens this season.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I have to ask the fans proposing a rookie for one of Bailey/Grabner/Okposo...why are the isles passing on their own nhl ready rookies De Haan/Reinhart/Donovan/Ness?

And for the fans proposing Ellis to LI, the isles have the smallish Hickey and Viz in the top 6., both starting 2 yr extensions.
All of De Haan/Ness/Donovan are pmd, none are big bruisers
The isles don't need another smallish pmd.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
With the leaks of debating on Jones and which side he is going to play i would think the Preds would want to keep him where he has been in which earned what he is all about now. I think they will be thrilled with Weber, Jones, and Josi and take an asset that can be moved in Klein to bring in a rookie ala (Erat for Forsberg) or a same tier guy forward that can make an impact.
You have Weber, Josi, and Jones for a long time. It's not unthinkable IMO

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Kleins contract alone gives him that much more value.
But again, this is eklund, I see us starting the season with what we have.

I'm still praying for a dead last finish in two seasons from now and we get mcdavid!!

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
per capgeek:

Bailey 3.3 per year through 2017-18
Okposo 2.8 per year through 2015-16

Grabner on the other hand is 3 million through 2015-16

In this case, who would we get for Klein, and why a rookie?

Do a Klein for Grabner swap. or a Klein for Grabner+a late pick...

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'd love Grabner, but

Weber-Jones
Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Bartley

scares me. We'd need another D.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Prefer Grabner over Okposo. One has speed that doesn't go away, one has too many peaks and valley's in his game. Trading Ellis could be a mistake down the road, even if he doesn't quite fit into this team like he should right now. With smaller guys they need time to adjust.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
we could still trade Spaling or Goose in a deal for a D-man if this speculation is about us getting better at forward...

either this is all complete BS or Poile has seen that we need one more piece.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
we could still trade Spaling or Goose in a deal for a D-man if this speculation is about us getting better at forward...

either this is all complete BS or Poile has seen that we need one more piece.

Trade them both! Free's up almost 5mil (4.7)! Also free's up some forward spots for someone new or one of our young guys to move up! Really don't need either one IMO.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Trade them both! Free's up almost 5mil (4.7)! Also free's up some forward spots for someone new or one of our young guys to move up! Really don't need either one IMO.

I completely agree. The signing of Hendricks really negates the reason to have Goose. Hendricks fights more, is more physical, and has winning percentage of over 50% in the faceoff dot. I think we should trade both and bring up watson and sign one other...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad