Rumor: eklund

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Sure, but a guy that can play both sides of the ice AND win faceoffs with that success is not exactly common across the league. And Gaustad is not a limited player by any means, regardless of his lack of scoring.

I will disagree with you on this. He is limited. He has a limited skill set. He is not an impact player physically. He is not a game changer. He's a good 4th line guy that is one of the best at face offs. Beyond that what else does he bring to the table? I realize teams need role players and he is good to an extent in that role but for his salary he needs to bring more than just that.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I will disagree with you on this. He is limited. He has a limited skill set. He is not an impact player physically. He is not a game changer. He's a good 4th line guy that is one of the best at face offs. Beyond that what else does he bring to the table? I realize teams need role players and he is good to an extent in that role but for his salary he needs to bring more than just that.

Well, we'll disagree on it then. He does bring physicality, averaging over 100 hits a season (as useless as that stat may be), and will drop the gloves when needed. He also plays an effective defensive game and is a solid penalty killer in addition to his face off ability. In a "normal" year, he should be expected to chip in somewhere around 20-25 points at minimum, with an ability to break 30 if he can stay healthy for a full season. He is overpaid for a bottom 6 player, but evidently is felt to have more value than simply his limited offensive production.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
lets just call gaustad what he is. an overpaid role player. he's not worth money, not even close, but he isn't useless

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
At the end of the day is he worth 3 times as much as Smihson, salary and production wise? As much as I disliked Smithson he filled that same role for a whole lot less money.

Don't get me wrong, role players are valuable but not at what we're paying them. An $8 million 4th line or we could've had two top 9 guys for $4 million a piece.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
It's fine having a "Gaustad" on one's team. Most good teams have a proven and reliable bottom 6 guy making more than he probably should. E.g. Kelly on Boston, Stoll on LA, Handzus on Chicago

The problem is, we also now have Nystrom, Hendricks, and one of Fisher/Legwand/Cullen all in the bottom 6 and making more than they should for the role they are in. It's overkill.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
It's fine having a "Gaustad" on one's team. Most good teams have a proven and reliable bottom 6 guy making more than he probably should. E.g. Kelly on Boston, Stoll on LA, Handzus on Chicago

The problem is, we also now have Nystrom, Hendricks, and one of Fisher/Legwand/Cullen all in the bottom 6 and making more than they should for the role they are in. It's overkill.

the problem with what you just said is that Kelly, Stoll, and Handzus are all better than Gaustad. They bring something offensively. I love Goose's attitude and how he stands up for teammates. I'll never forget how he slammed Theo Peckham into the ice after the hit he made on either Horns or Wilson. He also sticks up for Rinne and doesn't take any extra curricular activity around his goalie lightly. On the other hand, Handzus, Stoll, and Kelly all seem to be able to score much better than Gaustad. Don't get me wrong, they are by no means wayyyyyy better but hypothetically if all 4 wanted to come to Nashville, goose wouldn't be my first choice.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
the problem with what you just said is that Kelly, Stoll, and Handzus are all better than Gaustad. They bring something offensively. I love Goose's attitude and how he stands up for teammates. I'll never forget how he slammed Theo Peckham into the ice after the hit he made on either Horns or Wilson. He also sticks up for Rinne and doesn't take any extra curricular activity around his goalie lightly. On the other hand, Handzus, Stoll, and Kelly all seem to be able to score much better than Gaustad. Don't get me wrong, they are by no means wayyyyyy better but hypothetically if all 4 wanted to come to Nashville, goose wouldn't be my first choice.

I think you're overblowing the Peckham incident. They were hugging and fell down, not like he threw down to the ice with any sort of force. If anything he should've been punching Peckham but instead he held on. Gaustad is not a guy that puts fear into the other team. If you want a guy to stand up for your teammates you need someone that will actually put fear in the other team that if they do something, the next time that guy hits the ice, the enforcer or tough guy or whatever you want to call it is going to make them pay with either a huge body check or by dropping the gloves. Gaustad will stick up for teammates in a situation but it's not like he's going to make the other team pay for extra curricular activity. While many hate O'Brien, he stuck up for the goalies at all times. Belak, McGrattan and Tootoo were all great at this too. Hordichuk was another.

This team needs more of the stand up guys for sure and it's nice to have added some of that this offseason. I just think it's funny we overpaid for guys with grit when we had guys like that and let them go. Oh well. Not my money, or is it? :sarcasm:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
who are you referring to that we let go??

Let me ask you a question. Would you rather have Smithson, Tootoo and the number 1 pick we gave to Buffalo or Gaustad? I did not like Smithson but would take him back rather than pay Gaustad the money that we are.

And I was waiting for you to chime in. What took you so long doc?

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Let me ask you a question. Would you rather have Smithson, Tootoo and the number 1 pick we gave to Buffalo or Gaustad? I did not like Smithson but would take him back rather than pay Gaustad the money that we are.

i'm one of the few that liked smitty. i wouldn't mind having those back. i see the point.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

I have a 4 month old.. Ive been a bit busy:laugh:

and since Smithson isnt even good enough for a contract with any NHL team, Tootoo is riding the bench in Detroit and that 1st rounder was a 21st pick(plus we got a 4th rounder)... I'll stick with Goose... easy call

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I have a 4 month old.. Ive been a bit busy:laugh:

and since Smithson isnt even good enough for a contract with any NHL team, Tootoo is riding the bench in Detroit and that 1st rounder was a 21st pick(plus we got a 4th rounder)... I'll stick with Goose... easy call

Congrats on the baby. That's awesome news.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Regarding Eklund, I've never really viewed him as any kind of 'hack' or a liar or a fraud or whatever many people might call him. I think he does have legitimate sources, although probably not a ton, and he reports things that he's hearing. I don't think he's ever really incorrect, I just think it's evidence of how often teams speak with each other, and what incredibly small amount of those talks turn into real trades. He has actually gotten some right before others have, but I think it's people that read way too much into all the ramblings he reports that make it seem like he's "always wrong". Do I rely on him for rumors? Not really, but I don't think he just makes up random crap either.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Regarding Eklund, I've never really viewed him as any kind of 'hack' or a liar or a fraud or whatever many people might call him. I think he does have legitimate sources, although probably not a ton, and he reports things that he's hearing. I don't think he's ever really incorrect, I just think it's evidence of how often teams speak with each other, and what incredibly small amount of those talks turn into real trades. He has actually gotten some right before others have, but I think it's people that read way too much into all the ramblings he reports that make it seem like he's "always wrong". Do I rely on him for rumors? Not really, but I don't think he just makes up random crap either.

Luongo for Lecavalier is an infamous trade proposal posted on HF Boards and he ran with it ... that was the day I said **** it, he's full of **** wrt rumors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad