Confirmed with Link: Ekholm (retains 4%), 6th round pick to EDM for Reid Schaefer, 2023 1st round pick, 2024 4th round pick, and Tyson Barrie

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Although we did also try Ekholm at RD to start the season with McDonagh and that didn't work well. Whether or not that was from playing his off side or just not meshing with McDonagh who knows?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
During his press availablilty yesterday he meantioned he was comfortable on the right side, so I was curious if he played much in Nashville
I personally would put him with bouchard. Sure he could pair with nurse and you could make a stronger 1st pairing but i think nurse could use less time on ice and beefing up the 2nd pairing would help accomplish that

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Don’t mistake big, strong, tough with fighter. Ekholm is no thug and is a big, strong, tough skilled player. He has all the tools. In all due respect, Edmonton doesn’t really need their Dmen to score; they need Dmen. You got one.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I personally would put him with bouchard. Sure he could pair with nurse and you could make a stronger 1st pairing but i think nurse could use less time on ice and beefing up the 2nd pairing would help accomplish that
This was my thought as well. Reading the Oilers’ board about Bouchard, I think Ekholm would be the perfect pairing for him. He’d be able to cover for the mistakes of a young offensively minded Dman much like he did here with Carrier. I honestly don’t think Carrier develops to the point he is at now without Ekholm. Moving McDonagh to pair with Carrier in my opinion is an attempt to fill that void.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
FqLdHqpaMAAr7Bv

Ok, I've changed my mind, this sucks...undo...undo damn it! :laugh:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
The more I read on Schaefer, the more excited I get:

Then there is the role Schaefer could have in that future. The 19-year-old was the last pick of the first round in the 2022 draft. He is a 6-3 forward who is flirting with what would be a consecutive 30-goal season in the WHL. He was also a member of the Team Canada roster that won gold at the IIHF World Junior Championships, recording one point seven games. It's possible Schaefer could develop into a top-nine option for a franchise that is trying to build its prospect system using all of those aforementioned draft capital.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Barrie is a really good target for this team. Do you think he was a deliberate choice by Trotz/Poile or just a salary addition?

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Barrie is a really good target for this team. Do you think he was a deliberate choice by Trotz/Poile or just a salary addition?
It sure would be cool to be a fly on the wall in this type of trade. Might have started with a Broberg plus more Ek retention and then negotiated into Barrie and another prospect for less retention. Barrie still has value so it might be a win for both really. They free up cap to improve their D and we get a D that we can use for now and figure out the rest later.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I've been thinking about this too. The hope was that Carrier could be an effective offensive threat next to Ekholm and PP2 guy but for whatever reason that hasn't worked out so maybe they did target him as an upgrade in that position.

It's really hard to say since they haven't had any media availability and probably won't until Friday afternoon.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah will be interested to see the defensive pairings tonight. I think McDonagh-Barrie could potentially be a good pair to enable Barrie to play a more freewheeling game. I know a lot of people want to move him this TDL, but I think he could actually work well for this team so I'd like to give him a shot this season first.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I don't know that we can afford to lose another defenseman. We were thin as it is.

Also, one thing I know about Trotz, he's very big on right defensemen play on the right side. I imagine as a gm, he's going to be the same way.
We got 4 rhd now though with foote, fabbro, barrie, and carrier. Foote didnt exactly look great so if he sits until he improves thats fine with me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad