Confirmed with Link: Ekholm (retains 4%), 6th round pick to EDM for Reid Schaefer, 2023 1st round pick, 2024 4th round pick, and Tyson Barrie

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Pending return I'm fully on board with this trade, but it is a bummer as Ekholm has been a great player for us for so long. Might put me over the top to bandwagon Edmonton (assuming we're not in the race).
I guess it depends on where we send other predators. I can cheer for jeannot in the east and ekholm in the west. Sorry nino... i cant be happy for winterpeg.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I feel like over the past week or two I've even become a little "invested" in Edmonton doing "the right thing" somewhow! Lol! But I do firmly believe adding a tower of strength like Ekholm to that team is "the right thing" for them.

I just hope we get what we needed out of that.

Either way, I also feel like it's a win for Ekholm. I'm sure it will hurt for him for a little while... he probably did not see this coming when he extended here, and I know he has been building a life here and wanted to stay. But I feel like there will be a tangible silver lining for him. That's some amazing players he's going to be sending pucks up to, and if he wins a Cup, that's the dream. He'll get A Shot anyway, and probably a better contract after this one than if he stayed here shepherding our kids through the rebuild, always behind Josi. All the best to A True Pred Warrior.
:handclap:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Would've liked to have Broberg in the package but that's a good enough return to placate me. I've always liked watching Barrie play too.

Who's got the deets on Schaefer? Seems to have pretty decent numbers in juniors

Reactions: bdub24

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Aw crap. I don't like this one much. Schaeffer is a grinder, good kid, but very limited upside. Barrie will just be Jordan Gross for us. This is what I posted on the main board:

That's a big "meh" for me. Ekholm should have gotten more. In Nashville we kept holding out hope for Broberg. But if we weren't going to "win" on that, we needed to do better than a grinder prospect like Schaeffer.

Barrie coming in is not a good sign for Dante Fabbro, I suspect. He's a ton better than the Preds have used him this year. So we're likely going to lose on that downgrade also by bringing Barrie in. :(

Reactions: hn777

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Decent package imo. Maybe Barrie can be flipped. Has this year and next left on his deal
If not this year he seems like a perfect candidate to move next TDL. Although I suspect he won't get as much PP time with us since he'll be behind Josi on the depth chart so his numbers could dip.

AnalogKid

Oct 3, 2017
Oh man really You guys traded my wife's favorite player while I was on the road? I might as well keep driving she's going to be surly this evening when I get home.

Good luck Matty I mean that from the bottom of my heart, The evolution of you and Kevin Klein was truly enjoyable in our household and made my wife a lifelong fan!

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
If Schaefer turns into Jeannot or better, which I think is possible, this could all work out pretty well.

Reactions: LCPreds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad