Speculation: EJ Hradek: Colorado starting to get more serious offers for Duchene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
There is nothing wrong with asking for max calue, but Sakic has handled this situation terribly.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Exactly.

In the end, Sakic needs to tell teams "I will trade you Duchene and you will win the deal short term, but I need to win the deal long term. That's what a fair deal is"

I just hope a different team steps up. The Metro is stacked enough.

Absolutely agree with this.

My two cents in order of likelihood:

1. Hurricanes (want Hanifin but will settle for Fleury++)
2. Blue Jackets (Murray++)
3. Predators (want Ekholm or Ellis but will settle for Fabbro++)
4. Keep him and make it work since we drafted Makar and Timmons to fill d needs in 2-3 years.
4. Islanders (would have to be Brazal, Pulock, 1st and 2nd (both picks conditional on which is lower, Flames or Isles).

The Hurricanes should really look into getting this done. I guess all of the top three should look real close at this since all of them lack a top six center who can score points on the board. They got a young group that's developing into an interesting team. Trading Hanifin or Fleury together with a 1st and either Staal, Rask or Teravainen would make sense for them, maybe throw in an extra pick or prospect to get it done.

I suppose the same applies for the Blue Jackets. Murray, Jenner, 1st and a possibly a sweetener if needed. They should try and see what fits.

I think it really makes sense for the Predators because they keep developing defenseman, so that won't be an issue for them. They also got plenty of bottom six forwards who can step up in a middle six forward role. To me, it really makes sense for them to get Duchene to have more scoring down the middle as they already are in that contender-mode even with the lack of high scoring forwards. Problem for Sakic here is that Poile can counter with that they traded Seth Jones straight up for Ryan Johansen, and use that as an argument to try lower the price for Duchene. I think the Preds could afford to give up some assets to get the best player needed in the trade though (at this time).

Good list!

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
What if Duchene gets tired of this circus and demands a trade? I am not sure that it would be in the Avs interest to alienate their star player. Something gotta give.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
There comes a point where it's just sad that non-Avs fans can't accept that 2 years is a long time and we have plenty of time left to mull offers and see what happens LOL

J F C

As a Leafs fan with no horse in this race, some advice, be careful with the "we have a long time" thing.....if Joe waits until next offseason, then Duchene will get the JVR treatment on here. By that i mean once he only has a year left, he will be virtually worthless.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
What if Duchene gets tired of this circus and demands a trade? I am not sure that it would be in the Avs interest to alienate their star player. Something gotta give.

I only know what I see on social media but the dude seems to be loving life in Ontario with his girl and dog. Most NHL guys seem to turn off for sanity reasons. The only ? Is the media in away cities causing a distraction for him and the team.

Sakic would need to come out and say he is untouchable and re-sign him to a nice extension 7.1.18 to mend this situation assuming a trade doesn't go dow.

Obviously MD needs to show up on the ice and perform for the Avs next season for that to work. And depends on Makars development too. If the Avs all of a sudden don't NEED dmen, why trade Duchene?

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
As a Leafs fan with no horse in this race, some advice, be careful with the "we have a long time" thing.....if Joe waits until next offseason, then Duchene will get the JVR treatment on here. By that i mean once he only has a year left, he will be virtually worthless.

All comes down to the player and his performance then. We did it with ROR and that ended up working out.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

Tough luck. He's under contract for 2 more season. Avs absolutely need a good return for Duchene. You can't trade a young player with that type of talent for an "ok" package.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
All comes down to the player and his performance then. We did it with ROR and that ended up working out.

I am not trying to be negative at all, all i am saying is JVR is coming off a 60+ point season....and on this site is worth bupkiss because he's being regarded as a rental.

As far as the ROR deal, you guys lost that one IMO, but i was/am a big ROR fan.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If Sakic really is reading from Howson's Nash Trade playbook, it won't matter. Hell, Howson was the one who made the trade request public in Nash's case - and then continued to hold out for the return he needed.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I am not trying to be negative at all, all i am saying is JVR is coming off a 60+ point season....and on this site is worth bupkiss because he's being regarded as a rental.

As far as the ROR deal, you guys lost that one IMO, but i was/am a big ROR fan.

Looking at it now that we just let Grigorenko go, yes. At the time it was a nice haul for a guy we knew we would lose for nothing. It was also a unique situation where I still believe Buffalo knew they were going to re-sign ROR asap. There was no maybe there or else they wouldn't have give. Up so much.

If ROR left buffalo after one year, it would have been a huge loss for them trade wise so all hindsight.

Also have to take in account the huge difference in value between a center and wingers lately.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Looking at it now that we just let Grigorenko go, yes. At the time it was a nice haul for a guy we knew we would lose for nothing. It was also a unique situation where I still believe Buffalo knew they were going to re-sign ROR asap. There was no maybe there or else they wouldn't have give. Up so much.

If ROR left buffalo after one year, it would have been a huge loss for them trade wise so all hindsight.

Also have to take in account the huge difference in value between a center and wingers lately.

I agree, i don't see anyone dealing for Duchene that doesn't plan on extending him, but the offers will get lower if it goes to next offseason because Duchene may want to test FA. And ya, i understand the value difference, but the main knock on JVR has been the 1 year left thing.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Hilarious that Av's fans are under the impression that Snow is hounding Sakic 24/7 when there has been exactly ZERO news of Snow doing anything Duchene-related for a while now.
He's obviously made an offer to Sakic and walked away. Good for Snow.
Sakic can ask for whatever he wants. Snow can also offer whatever he wants and leave it up to Joe, which it seems like he's done.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Hilarious that Av's fans are under the impression that Snow is hounding Sakic 24/7 when there has been exactly ZERO news of Snow doing anything Duchene-related for a while now.
He's obviously made an offer to Sakic and walked away. Good for Snow.
Sakic can ask for whatever he wants. Snow can also offer whatever he wants and leave it up to Joe, which it seems like he's done.

Hasn't been anything since the draft, but then Snow had to be told to stop coming to the Avalanche table. I assume it was all Hamonic related and stopped after that.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Alright

It's not just Islander fans saying Sakic is asking for way more than Duchene is worth. It seems like only Avs fans defending it. If the plan was to hold onto him the whole time, then fine... but he was publicly put on the block last season. Lets stop attacking Islander fans here.

Who came up with the ridiculous idea that Tavares re-signing hinges on getting Duchene?

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Hasn't been anything since the draft, but then Snow had to be told to stop coming to the Avalanche table. I assume it was all Hamonic related and stopped after that.

Proof of this?

I watched the entire draft and never heard them say Snow was talking to Sakic. I'd think they would be tuned into that considering all the rumors flying around. Calling BS on this one

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Sakic seems to be the new Mike Gillis. Duchene is the new Luongo. He has waited to long to trade Duchene

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
So if on the off chance everyone agrees that Sakic is demanding too much in a trade for Duchene, where does that leave us?

I am just curious what the end game is here, or, to put it another way, what is the point?

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
So if on the off chance everyone agrees that Sakic is demanding too much in a trade for Duchene, where does that leave us?

I am just curious what the end game is here, or, to put it another way, what is the point?

I think Sakic never really intended on trading Duchene. He put a line in the water to see what he could catch and nothing overwhelmed him. It's true, the Avs do not have to trade him.... he's also young enough to keep for a rebuild. Sakic had a specific want that he needed in a trade, plus other good pieces. That specific want alone is worth Duchene.... and it's a very specific one.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Proof of this?

I watched the entire draft and never heard them say Snow was talking to Sakic. I'd think they would be tuned into that considering all the rumors flying around. Calling BS on this one

Avalanche BSN podcast. Avs insiders who were at the draft talked about Sakics interactions with Snow and Francis.

grindline

Mar 29, 2013
England
Firstly, I'm declaring my position as a Columbus fan who is a bit 'meh' about acquiring Duchesne.

Joe Sakic has every right to demand a massive package and holding out is not a bad thing necessarily. However there comes a point in the future where he has held on too long. All we are doing is arguing where that point is. Personally, I think once the free agent class are all signed and people realise trades are the only way to make roster improvements for the next ten months is the end of Sakic's window. Trades like this are fairly rare mid-season and another slump during next year might lower the maximum offers even more.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Avalanche BSN podcast. Avs insiders who were at the draft talked about Sakics interactions with Snow and Francis.

That's funny.... you would think if he was over there so much someone on the broadcast would have said something about it. Not a single mention, not a single screen cap.... nothing. We can trash Isles bloggers for repeating news.... but Avs "podcasters" can make **** up and we call it gospel? This thread has jumped the shark

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I think Sakic never really intended on trading Duchene. He put a line in the water to see what he could catch and nothing overwhelmed him. It's true, the Avs do not have to trade him.... he's also young enough to keep for a rebuild. Sakic had a specific want that he needed in a trade, plus other good pieces. That specific want alone is worth Duchene.... and it's a very specific one.

I think this is the truth. Now you have to account for Duchene "quiting". Do you blame it on the anomaly that was the 2017 season or is it a problem with Duchene? I hope Sakic has spoken with him and has a direction to go in regarding that. Depending on that opinion is going to result in the urgency to get a deal done or not.

All about if Duchene is going to be toxic in the locker room next year. If so, move him. If it is savalgeable, bring him back and waste a year developing young D and plan on being competitive in 18-19.

Mackinnon
Landeskog
Rantanen
Duchene
Jost
Compher
Andrighetto
Wilson

Johnson
Barrie
Zadorov
Makar
Timmins

Varlamov

That isn't a bad group to work with assuming the put decent depth around them.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I think this is the truth. Now you have to account for Duchene "quiting". Do you blame it on the anomaly that was the 2017 season or is it a problem with Duchene? I hope Sakic has spoken with him and has a direction to go in regarding that. Depending on that opinion is going to result in the urgency to get a deal done or not.

All about if Duchene is going to be toxic in the locker room next year. If so, move him. If it is savalgeable, bring him back and waste a year developing young D and plan on being competitive in 18-19.

I don't believe the notion that he "quit", nor do I believe he would be a malcontent for not being traded. I'm sure there will need some smoothing over to do though. With both player and agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad