Value of: Eichel + Skinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
If Buffalo goes full nuclear, what kind of value would you be willing to give up to bring in Eichel if he was attached to Skinner's contract?

Closest I could get, assuming Buff is on each of their 3 team ok to trade lists, is offering Couture + Burns + LaBanc for Eichel + Skinner + 2nd

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Not a fan of either team, but how about to New Jersey for Hughes, Hischier and Schneider (dump, only 2 more years @ 6mil)?

Gives the Sabres an official reset and extra 4-5 mil to play with in cap space. New Jersey trades in 2 stars in the making for a legitimate super star.

NJ doesn’t have the depth to make a move like that. Then we’d have an aging Zajac, Zacha, and Mike McLeod as our center depth.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
ill give you Chytl, Buchnevich, DeAngelo and 2021 1st rounder for Eichel.
That's probably the best deal you're going to get when Eichel asks out of buffalo
you can keep skinner.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
If you trade Eichel there no reason to include Skinner.

1. You'd lower your return on Eichel by a big margin. Not just because you're attaching a really bad contract but because you'd lower the bidders to like...3 teams. Much better off doing two deals if, for some reason, you moved both. Get a big return on Ecihel and then find a way to move Skinner for another troublesome contract and attaching some assets.

2. If you trade Eichel and Skinner, how are you going to be at the cap floor? Sending out both would reduce Buffalo's cap hit to like...30M and they'd only have 2 signed forwards.It would be a mess and you'd be signing a whole team from scratch.

No reason to do it this way. The only teams who could conceivably do it would be Ottawa, Detroit, or NJD,

They would have to take back contracts obviously.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Monahan+Gaudreau+Lucic lol pretty much the only way we could make it work cap wise.

Frankly I would still do Monahan+Gaudreau+hanifin for that package if the cap could be massaged.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I get the need to match salaries, but that's pretty bad for the Sabres IMO. They already have too many defensemen and the best piece you are offering, is a defenseman.

Yeah, I get it. It's just what we'd have to do, with Dumba having the best combination of cap hit + value (in a vacuum) of players that we could throw out there.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Not a fan of either team, but how about to New Jersey for Hughes, Hischier and Schneider (dump, only 2 more years @ 6mil)?

Gives the Sabres an official reset and extra 4-5 mil to play with in cap space. New Jersey trades in 2 stars in the making for a legitimate super star.

Interesting offer as a neutral/unbias POV but agree with what is said below. Eichel ain't the problem though and he is legit, don't think either Devil reaches his level.

I think trading away your 2 1st overall picks is a bad organizational move. Regardless of value, that sends a terrible message.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
NJ doesn’t have the depth to make a move like that. Then we’d have an aging Zajac, Zacha, and Mike McLeod as our center depth.

What if it was after the draft and you landed Rossi @ 6 and Quinn @ 10? You’d have 2 dynamic offensive prospects coming in. Yes Rossi would only be 18, but I think he’d step in and provide as much as Hughes did last year (if not more, huge fan of the kid and his game is polished in every facet).

This is all just for fun anyway, but I think it’s a deal that is good for both parties.

Or swap Rossi for Hughes in the deal if that looks better. I’d rather have Rossi than Hughes anyway.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
That is a nearly impossible trade to make, because if the point is to clear cash, it means a team has to have close to 19 million in cap to make the trade.

Very few teams fit that profile, and the ones that do are usually budget teams.

Detroit would make the most sense. Eichel+Skinner for a package headlined by Detroit's 4th overall or better pick. The Sabres wouldn't have much leverage, since the Red Wings might be the only team who can pull it off.

Ottawa tried to do a similar thing by bundling Ryan with Karlsson. They weren't able to pull it off, even with how motivated you'd have to guess Senators ownership probably was to dump that money. So it would be hard to do Skinner+Eichel.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I agree. The Sabres could retain enough on Skinner to make him not a negative to Eichel’s value. But are the Pegulas wanting to rebuild, again? Or do they want to bring in veterans to help get them into the playoffs? I’d say the latter. They are more likely to trade away picks and prospects (young players not named Eichel and Dahlin) to get the veterans.

are they retaining at least 3 mil? because even at 6 mil that skinner deal looks bad if he doesnt bounce back to 30-40g

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
That is a nearly impossible trade to make, because if the point is to clear cash, it means a team has to have close to 19 million in cap to make the trade.

Very few teams fit that profile, and the ones that do are usually budget teams.

Detroit would make the most sense. Eichel+Skinner for a package headlined by Detroit's 4th overall or better pick. The Sabres wouldn't have much leverage, since the Red Wings might be the only team who can pull it off.

Ottawa tried to do a similar thing by bundling Ryan with Karlsson. They weren't able to pull it off, even with how motivated you'd have to guess Senators ownership probably was to dump that money. So it would be hard to do Skinner+Eichel.

1 year of karlsson and eichel signed long term arent the same though.

Yeah it would be hard, but gotta figure detroit would play ball thinking about a top 6 forward group of Eichel,Larkin,Mantha,Zadina,Skinner and Bertuzzi. Toss in Fabbri, Rasmussen and Veleno and that has the potential to be a very,very good top 9

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
oh thats the best deal lol?

The kid deserves to be in the playoffs and have a chance at a cup. If he demands out which I fully see him doing within the next 2 years, he will want to go to a team that will contend and not to another bottom dwelling team. The teams offering trades such as the devils and redwings put him exactly where he is now. Meanwhile, the flames offer would gut their team and again Eichel would be back to where he is.

The only other team that has the ammo, space, and playoff position to make a deal is the avalanche. And that would be futures such as newhook, byram, a 1st and kadri/kaut.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
The kid deserves to be in the playoffs and have a chance at a cup. If he demands out which I fully see him doing within the next 2 years, he will want to go to a team that will contend and not to another bottom dwelling team. The teams offering trades such as the devils and redwings put him exactly where he is now. Meanwhile, the flames offer would gut their team and again Eichel would be back to where he is.

The only other team that has the ammo, space, and playoff position to make a deal is the avalanche. And that would be futures such as newhook, byram, a 1st and kadri/kaut.
Those pieces are better than the scraps you offered in your Rangers deal.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Coach killer Eichel comes with a big red flag. Guy can't even pull his team into the playoffs when everyone makes it.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Coming from a fully different and perhaps more "entertaining" direction....

I would be curious to see what would happen if Adams would approach Lamoriello with the following proposal:
Eichel, Skinner, McCabe, and Mittelstadt
for
Barzal, Leddy, Boychuk, Ladd and Komarov

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Coming from a fully different and perhaps more "entertaining" direction....

I would be curious to see what would happen if Adams would approach Lamoriello with the following proposal:
Eichel, Skinner, McCabe, and Mittelstadt
for
Barzal, Leddy, Boychuk, Ladd and Komarov
But this is a terrible deal for Buffalo.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
But this is a terrible deal for Buffalo.

Anddd I'd be incredibly curious to see what would happens if Adams would propose it.:)

In general, the idea of moving Eichel WITH Skinner is a really bad one when contemplating Eichel's trade value on his own accord. I understand why the main poster is suggesting this tandem though, because any desire to move Skinner needs to be attached to something of considerable significance as no-one possessing any level of reasonable sanity is otherwise going near Jeff's contract. And throwing Eichel in there releases the team of two of the biggest contracts in hockey all at once.

And honestly, it's not like the rest of the league hasn't noticed that Eichel has a touchy-feely personality.

Furthermore, that tandem is not just raking in 19 MM per season for a couple of years... it's for the next 6 seasons. OUCH!

Who can do this?

Basically nobody. That's a noose that is just too unfathomable, regardless of what the two players are capable of.

Plenty of posters have already pointed out how unviable it is without considerable contract coming back in return. As long as Skinner is being thrown in with Eichel, which is what THIS thread is contemplating, then the main poster will see what fans of other teams feel might be necessary for such a package to be moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad