Euro Hockey Tour: EHT 2021-2022 • Channel One Cup • Dec. 13-19 [CAN/CZE/FIN/RUS/SWE]

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Nice asskicking from Russia! I don't know how the Russian posters felt but I really liked the throwback jersey!

Kind of funny how the Russians made our KHL goalies look like Czech2 ones.lol

This tournament is a disaster for us for 2 reasons:

1. We can't win with pretty much our non NHL Olympic team
2. If there is an NHL Olympics... Kovar and Gulas just made it and 2 very good NHL players will be cut (Chytil and Zadina will be cut and these 2 will be going instead)

Bonus: if we dont' send NHLers.. this is close to the best we have. I'm really not sure what impact player is missing.

Reactions: Voodoozz

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden - Czechia 3-2

Really good tournament from that Larsson - Rydahl - De la Rose line. Olofsson, Holmberg, Heed, Bengtsson and Pilut impressed aswell.

Reactions: Czechboy

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Please no... That would be such a typical 'Král' thing to do. It's not like Filip Pešán is the first coach to go 0-6 in these EHT tournaments (Růžička had the exact same result in 2014.) Is he to blame for the displayed performance ? Of course he is, and so are all the players and the rest of the coaching staff. However, these tournaments bear no relevance whatsoever to the result of Olympics or the WC, we've seen it so many times before. Let him finish the season, both the OG and the WC, and then we'll see. Winning a medal now doesn't heal our hockey, the problem remains deeply rooted within our system. Making a disorganized, short-term decision such as firing a head coach in the midst of an OG preparation won't do us no good. No good at all.

Crowmoor1891

Dec 19, 2021
Just witnessed corruption on a disgusting level, not surprised that the belarusian refs chose to allow an obvious goaltender interference + goal for russians.

EDIT: And no penalty for russia in overtime either..lol.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Please no... That would be such a typical 'Král' thing to do. It's not like Filip Pešán is the first coach to go 0-6 in these EHT tournaments (Růžička had the exact same result in 2014.) Is he to blame for the displayed performance ? Of course he is, and so are all the players and the rest of the coaching staff. However, these tournaments bear no relevance whatsoever to the result of Olympics or the WC, we've seen it so many times before. Let him finish the season, both the OG and the WC, and then we'll see. Winning a medal now doesn't heal our hockey, the problem remains deeply rooted within our system. Making a disorganized, short-term decision such as firing a head coach in the midst of an OG preparation won't do us no good. No good at all.
I will repeat myself, I wrote it after the World Cup, I wrote it after the first EHT tournament. Pešán has already dismantled the team for the championship, it's not just about tournaments this season. What he showed at WCH was the absolute worst I remember and I remember it a lot. At the same time, the team played very well in the preparation and within a few days it seemed that the players absolutely could not play hockey, the whole team was nervous, it played matches well below its capabilities. What happened in a few days?
It is a question of the implementation team and Pesan in the first place. The defense period is over.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
Has it happen in NHL that a team has taken the goalie in overtime ? If they have had the goalie in net shouldnt it have been a penalty instead of a lost game ?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
@Anti and @Voodoozz you both make very good points.

It's a yesterday problem. It's a today problem and it's a tomorrow problem.

All I know is that Milan Gulas is taking David Pastrnak's spot at the best on best Olympics. Kovar will take Hertl's spot. I hate these EHT games and how much value our coaches put into them. I still remember Jan Kovar outduelling a Finnish goalie and getting starter at a WC because of this electric performance. It didn't work out the best.lol

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think Finn's won this and the University games.. great job for them!

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Total standings so far in EHT:

PosTeamPldWOTWOTLLGFGAGDPts
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia
740121917+213
23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
Finland
632011810+813
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden
640021510+512
23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Canada
3100279−23
23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png
Czech Republic
600151124−131
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

If Russia had 6 games played, they would be on nr 3. A little bit unfair Russia gets 1 more game.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Total standings so far in EHT:

PosTeamPldWOTWOTLLGFGAGDPts
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia
740121917+213
23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
Finland
632011810+813
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden
640021510+512
23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Canada
3100279−23
23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png
Czech Republic
600151124−131
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If Russia had 6 games played, they would be on nr 3. A little bit unfair Russia gets 1 more game.
Welcome to the Czech republic... please enjoy our delicious beer and beautiful women. Take your 3 points on your way out and have a nice day.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020

When you recall Pesan, do you have replacement for him? If not, then you are acting impulsively and will make your situation worse in the future. Pesan has a lot of bad things as a human, he absolutely can't communicate with public, he has problems in the booth, some of his statement are hypocricital, and if a journalist has annoying questions about his body., Pesan goes into arrogance. Which are all things an NT coach can never do. Although Garpenlöv is sometimes considered a fool because of the decisions he made in the past(yes, he messed up last the championship..) he still had his behaviour under control. And yes, Pesan should be dismissed because of his public appearances.

But...he is still a top coach in Czech Republic, you will not find significantly better better coaches than him. But someone should have intervened much earlier here, at least Pesan should have had some training. Because what he allowed himself during his time as the union's chief coach, he would no longer work for the union in a civilized country. He is simply a bumkpin, there are people like Pesan in the federation too, so don't expect a change.

It is becoming increasingly clear that Pesan is failing as the head coach of all hockey and also as the NT head coach. My view is that he should leave one post. And as a person who restarts the education system, I would hire foreigners. In 2009, Erkka Westerlund had great ideas on how to get Finnish hockey back to the top. The Czechs destroyed their hockey themselves, a foreigner has to fix it if the Czechs can't wait any longer, because parents won't put their children in hockey. There are no successes, there will be no new players, it's that simple.

Reactions: Voodoozz

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
When you recall Pesan, do you have replacement for him? If not, then you are acting impulsively and will make your situation worse in the future. Pesan has a lot of bad things as a human, he absolutely can't communicate with public, he has problems in the booth, some of his statement are hypocricital, and if a journalist has annoying questions about his body., Pesan goes into arrogance. Which are all things an NT coach can never do. Although Garpenlöv is sometimes considered a fool because of the decisions he made in the past(yes, he messed up last the championship..) he still had his behaviour under control. And yes, Pesan should be dismissed because of his public appearances.

But...he is still a top coach in Czech Republic, you will not find significantly better better coaches than him. But someone should have intervened much earlier here, at least Pesan should have had some training. Because what he allowed himself during his time as the union's chief coach, he would no longer work for the union in a civilized country. He is simply a bumkpin, there are people like Pesan in the federation too, so don't expect a change.

It is becoming increasingly clear that Pesan is failing as the head coach of all hockey and also as the NT head coach. My view is that he should leave one post. And as a person who restarts the education system, I would hire foreigners. In 2009, Erkka Westerlund had great ideas on how to get Finnish hockey back to the top. The Czechs destroyed their hockey themselves, a foreigner has to fix it if the Czechs can't wait any longer, because parents won't put their children in hockey. There are no successes, there will be no new players, it's that simple.
My opinion is that these players are definitely not as bad as the WCH shows. We used to play good hockey, we are not able to repeat it from WCH, on the contrary, we play perhaps even worse, which is actually impossible due to how bad we played at the championship.
Pešán disbanded the team from a psychological point of view, obviously wrong decisions in coaching came to WCH and they probably can't communicate with the players. He chose an experienced coach who would calm the team down, it certainly couldn't be worse.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
My opinion is that these players are definitely not as bad as the WCH shows. We used to play good hockey, we are not able to repeat it from WCH, on the contrary, we play perhaps even worse, which is actually impossible due to how bad we played at the championship.
Pešán disbanded the team from a psychological point of view, obviously wrong decisions in coaching came to WCH and they probably can't communicate with the players. He chose an experienced coach who would calm the team down, it certainly couldn't be worse.

Sorry, I'm going to be bad now. Now the players in Moscow are doing everything well, they can pass, find a suitable position for the shot, but..before they shoot, the goalkeeper has time to react. So you reduce your chance to score yourself and you know that you will not regularly win matches for 1-2 goals.

Do you remember the action of Russia? I think Gusev gave a beautiful cross pass to Shipachev, but he did not hit the goal by 30 cm. The same cross pass was played by the Swedes today and Hrubec had a lot of work to get the puck away. These situations were not in a powerplay , it was a 5vs5 game. These moments are desperately missing in the Czech game and the NT coach wil not teach the player, it is too late.

I also think that the players are mentally down, but they themselves see that players from the KHL, SHL or Liiga, are getting better every year. I watch the SHL regularly, and some events are reminiscent of the NHL. You will not see this in the Czech competition, because it is played a slower pace. When Russia actively attacked and played agressively, many Czech players did not want to play with the puck, they just fired it. Gulas looked really bad, but when Russia played at a slower pace, optically it was a balanced match. And this really isn't just about the psyche. This is about the overall quality of the team and it is currently lower, or do you disagree?

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Sorry, I'm going to be bad now. Now the players in Moscow are doing everything well, they can pass, find a suitable position for the shot, but..before they shoot, the goalkeeper has time to react. So you reduce your chance to score yourself and you know that you will not regularly win matches for 1-2 goals.

Do you remember the action of Russia? I think Gusev gave a beautiful cross pass to Shipachev, but he did not hit the goal by 30 cm. The same cross pass was played by the Swedes today and Hrubec had a lot of work to get the puck away. These situations were not in a powerplay , it was a 5vs5 game. These moments are desperately missing in the Czech game and the NT coach wil not teach the player, it is too late.

I also think that the players are mentally down, but they themselves see that players from the KHL, SHL or Liiga, are getting better every year. I watch the SHL regularly, and some events are reminiscent of the NHL. You will not see this in the Czech competition, because it is played a slower pace. When Russia actively attacked and played agressively, many Czech players did not want to play with the puck, they just fired it. Gulas looked really bad, but when Russia played at a slower pace, optically it was a balanced match. And this really isn't just about the psyche. This is about the overall quality of the team and it is currently lower, or do you disagree?
Are KHL and SHL better than extra league? Sure, they are. However, most of the players are not from the extra league anyway, and those who have been there have played quite important roles in international hockey until recently. Secondly, last year the Czech team finished second in the EHT, before that the EHT won, sorry, but I do not believe that in one year the players completely forgot to play hockey. Maybe you do.
Before the last WCH, the Czech players won the last EHT (yes, for example with Russia we won 4: 0 and the result certainly did not correspond to the events on the field, but we played well and won both other matches), so that in a few days at WCH we look absolutely disastrous . And what happened in those few days ?? NHL players arrived (same players, no real creators, no fighters, only end players), the coach did not nominate the best EHT attack for the first match with Russia, why, what was that supposed to mean? And the result, as I write, was absolutely disastrous hockey on our part. To the detriment of the team, when there were so many players for the sake of the team, he started mixing with the line-up so that he made the players more uncertain. The highlight was that he didn't put Špačka at QF, until then one of the few players who played solidly, no one understood, but it didn't really surprise me anymore. It was just another step that proved that this coach had no concept.
I didn't know what you knew, but there was a lot that the team had a very bad atmosphere after the WCH. There is no point in listing it specifically, but it was.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Are KHL and SHL better than extra league? Sure, they are. However, most of the players are not from the extra league anyway, and those who have been there have played quite important roles in international hockey until recently. Secondly, last year the Czech team finished second in the EHT, before that the EHT won, sorry, but I do not believe that in one year the players completely forgot to play hockey. Maybe you do.
Before the last WCH, the Czech players won the last EHT (yes, for example with Russia we won 4: 0 and the result certainly did not correspond to the events on the field, but we played well and won both other matches), so that in a few days at WCH we look absolutely disastrous . And what happened in those few days ?? NHL players arrived (same players, no real creators, no fighters, only end players), the coach did not nominate the best EHT attack for the first match with Russia, why, what was that supposed to mean? And the result, as I write, was absolutely disastrous hockey on our part. To the detriment of the team, when there were so many players for the sake of the team, he started mixing with the line-up so that he made the players more uncertain. The highlight was that he didn't put Špačka at QF, until then one of the few players who played solidly, no one understood, but it didn't really surprise me anymore. It was just another step that proved that this coach had no concept.
I didn't know what you knew, but there was a lot that the team had a very bad atmosphere after the WCH. There is no point in listing it specifically, but it was.

Of course, I know what happened in Latvia. I also saw pre-tournament matches in Prague. My opinion is that there is a smaller playground in Prague, it was significantly larger in Riga. I'm not saying that was the only reason for the failure, with that team Pesan was supposed to be in the semifinals when you remember what names the other teams had.

Mixing with an assembly is pure evil. Ruzicka, Hadamczik, Jandac and Pesan did it. In a league competition , it doesn't matter if you lose five matches in a row. At the Championship, you can mix with a group in maximum of one or two matches. That's exactly what Canada did, just waited for Mangiapane and she took the title.

The bad thing is that players can't talk about the bad atmosphere in Riga, because that would reduce their chances of going to the WC or the Olympics with NT in the future. And no one wanted to do it, because 2022 is a year that means two big tournaments. But not just one coach can blame the bed atmosphere on the team, can it? Straka and Spacek also have their share of guilt, not just Pesan. Spacek's job as an assitant to NT would interest me. PK is bad in the long run, that's his responsibility. In my opinion, neither is qualified to work for NT. But they are good for the media image of Pesan, they are our Czechs legends..

Yes, there are players mostly from the KHL, former players from the NHL, someone from Switzerland...but are they players with a quality shot? With a shot that wins your even match? I don't think so at all. Won't that be the problem?

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Of course, I know what happened in Latvia. I also saw pre-tournament matches in Prague. My opinion is that there is a smaller playground in Prague, it was significantly larger in Riga. I'm not saying that was the only reason for the failure, with that team Pesan was supposed to be in the semifinals when you remember what names the other teams had.

Mixing with an assembly is pure evil. Ruzicka, Hadamczik, Jandac and Pesan did it. In a league competition , it doesn't matter if you lose five matches in a row. At the Championship, you can mix with a group in maximum of one or two matches. That's exactly what Canada did, just waited for Mangiapane and she took the title.

The bad thing is that players can't talk about the bad atmosphere in Riga, because that would reduce their chances of going to the WC or the Olympics with NT in the future. And no one wanted to do it, because 2022 is a year that means two big tournaments. But not just one coach can blame the bed atmosphere on the team, can it? Straka and Spacek also have their share of guilt, not just Pesan. Spacek's job as an assitant to NT would interest me. PK is bad in the long run, that's his responsibility. In my opinion, neither is qualified to work for NT. But they are good for the media image of Pesan, they are our Czechs legends..

Yes, there are players mostly from the KHL, former players from the NHL, someone from Switzerland...but are they players with a quality shot? With a shot that wins your even match? I don't think so at all. Won't that be the problem?
Bad shooting is a problem of the whole Czech hockey, we all know that. But in terms of overall performance, it has never been as bad as the last three tournaments. And as I made clear from the examples, the situation was definitely not so alarming before.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

We once had an elite NHL shooter who never hesitated... Shoot first guy. Jakub vrana. We benched him and replaced him with Milan Gulas

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Bad shooting is a problem of the whole Czech hockey, we all know that. But in terms of overall performance, it has never been as bad as the last three tournaments. And as I made clear from the examples, the situation was definitely not so alarming before.

Look, I don't like Pesan, either, I don't mind a lot of things about it. But why isn't criticism directed at assistants? Aren't they part of the team? Can't they be for a bad game in PK or PP? These two things also sink the team and take the player's confidence.

Replace Pesan and who will you give instead? The past has already shown that the dismissal of the coach caused even greater suffering and anger for the fan for the poor results. Do you really want to do this based on two EHT tournaments?

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
We once had an elite NHL shooter who never hesitated... Shoot first guy. Jakub vrana. We benched him and replaced him with Milan Gulas

I know Pesan does these weird things. But the olympics will not be with NHL players and that is chance to take the medal. In a month, things may be different, perhaps Pesan will reconsider some things, improve communication to an acceptable level. At least I want believe that.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Look, I don't like Pesan, either, I don't mind a lot of things about it. But why isn't criticism directed at assistants? Aren't they part of the team? Can't they be for a bad game in PK or PP? These two things also sink the team and take the player's confidence.

Replace Pesan and who will you give instead? The past has already shown that the dismissal of the coach caused even greater suffering and anger for the fan for the poor results. Do you really want to do this based on two EHT tournaments?
No, even on the basis of a totally messed up WCH. Should I repeat it all over again ??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad