Recalled/Assigned: Ehn sent to GR

Oct 18, 2006
Can someone please explain this logic to me? Guy has played in Swedish league for a bit now, he’s used to pro hockey, is the only guy on the team with a positive +/-, has looked solid overall, now this.

Rebuild going to take twice as long with muppets at the helm. The excitement of opening night is fading fast.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Ehn is a dime-a-dozen 4th line C. He was used as a dime-a-dozen 4th line C. Ehn being on or not being on the Wings will have no effect. He was sent to GR likely so the Wings could activate Jacob De La Rose and use him there.

I don't understand the thought process here sometimes.

Complain about Larkin over Pastrnak instead of the draft picks that were actually terrible.
Complain about Ehn being sent down instead of the fact that we're still running out basically an AHL defense even with our veterans back.

The rebuild will take a long time if they made bad choices in the draft that don't develop into good players. It will take a lot less time if Zadina, Veleno, McIssac, Berggren, and crew are legit players. The NHL playing time of Christopher Ehn is not going to materially affect our team one way or another.

Reactions: izlez

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I find your comment about excitement interesting. Jacob de la Rose is a whopping 13 months older than Ehn and brings similar elements. Overall its not the type of move that's going to shape the organization one way or the other imo. This is probably a lateral move at worst.

I'd say the organization views this as opportunity to add depth and help Grand Rapids. They're probably hoping Ehn can refine his offence in the AHL as well.

Oct 18, 2006
I don't understand the thought process here sometimes.
Just like I don’t understand the Wings’. Has Ehn looked out of place? No. He’s looked good on the PK and great defensively. To me with his size and defensive nous he’s a great 4C. And the solution is to demote him?

Reactions: Oddbob

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Just like I don’t understand the Wings’. Has Ehn looked out of place? No. He’s looked good on the PK and great defensively. To me with his size and defensive nous he’s a great 4C. And the solution is to demote him?

I don't think it's so much that Ehn has been bad as that they think De La Rose can be better

gotta get rid of someone if they wanna play him

I suppose they could have realistically waived Frk instead of sending Ehn down but Frk hasn't been playing anyways and maybe they don't want Ehn just sitting in the press box

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

This is like when the UDFAs come out in football and a team signs some RB from Bum**** State who everyone on Reddit falls in love with.

Tell me, do you care that the Wings lost Andrej Nestrasil? Where is he playing now?
How about Landon Ferraro? Joakim Andersson? Cory Emmerton? Jan Mursak? Johan Ryno? How about Maxim Kuznetsov? Stacy Roest played pretty well with us for awhile, we should really be broken up about him leaving.

Ehn is a nice player and he acquitted himself well. He's also literally nothing special... and if Jacob De La Rose slumps, he probably goes back on waivers and Ehn is back up.

I mean, slow down the horses. The Wings are 1-7. Ehn just not ****ing up against other teams fourth lines shouldn't be cause to celebrate.

Reactions: NickH8

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
This is like when the UDFAs come out in football and a team signs some RB from Bum**** State who everyone on Reddit falls in love with.

Tell me, do you care that the Wings lost Andrej Nestrasil? Where is he playing now?
How about Landon Ferraro? Joakim Andersson? Cory Emmerton? Jan Mursak? Johan Ryno? How about Maxim Kuznetsov? Stacy Roest played pretty well with us for awhile, we should really be broken up about him leaving.

Ehn is a nice player and he acquitted himself well. He's also literally nothing special... and if Jacob De La Rose slumps, he probably goes back on waivers and Ehn is back up.

I mean, slow down the horses. The Wings are 1-7. Ehn just not ****ing up against other teams fourth lines shouldn't be cause to celebrate.
Is this a Holland highlight reel lol? Sorry I had to.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
is this going to effect our season? not really. however, i don't like the message that is sent out here. ehn is the only plus (+/-) on the team and he has performed well (albeit in a defensive 4th line/PK role). he couldn't have done much more, yet he is still sent down. big picture, this doesn't effect us, so no big deal....but i don't like it.

Oct 18, 2006
is this going to effect our season? not really. however, i don't like the message that is sent out here. ehn is the only plus (+/-) on the team and he has performed well (albeit in a defensive 4th line/PK role). he couldn't have done much more, yet he is still sent down. big picture, this doesn't effect us, so no big deal....but i don't like it.
Thank you, this is my point. Not earth shattering but to me doesn’t send the right message. A guy who’s played hard every night and he’s the one demoted.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
How do you think Ehn feels right about now?
- Hey kid, you made the roster.
- Sorry kid, off to GR you go, we claimed a castoff from Montreal to replace you.

It would only make sense if someone was traded out, like Abdelkader, Glendenning, Helm, etc.

Yzerman can't get "here" fast enough to replace the senile in charge.

Reactions: Filppula

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Hey, Kuznetsov helped us get Mat Schneider. I miss him plenty if we can use him for that sort of return again. :)

I don't like this move because this club has already had issues this season with showing up, working hard, and playing the right way every night. Ehn did those things. He might just be a 4th line center, but unlike a lot of guys he's filled that role well. With Green coming back, we could just as easily send Hicketts down to make the roster space.

If the club wasn't having some motivational issues, or if Ehn was part of those issues, giving him his walking papers would make more sense. Right now, though, if we're trying to at least establish the identity of the club, getting everyone bought in, and working their tails off...Ehn has been a guy we should be rewarding for that right now.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
To be fair, he's playing 9.5 minutes a night and 1:50 of that is shorthanded. So he's only been on the ice at even strength for like 7:45 a night against 3rd and 4th lines. Not all that surprising his +/- is skewed away from the rest of the team. But he has played well with what he's been given and was one of the few bright spots early on this season - very encouraging for his future in Detroit.
Hopefully he can get some offense going down in GR and build on it for the future. He's a smart hockey player.

Reactions: Winger98

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Ken Holland senile because he waived an unspectacular 4th line center who plays a whopping 10 minutes per night. Serious business!

Fine, tank the team then! No Ehn, no playoffs, no glory. Center Ice is going to suck now.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Ken Holland senile because he waived an unspectacular 4th line center who plays a whopping 10 minutes per night. Serious business!

Fine, tank the team then! No Ehn, no playoffs, no glory. Center Ice is going to suck now.
He wasn't even waived. Just sent down to GR.

I thought he was good for what he was. A 4th line center playing 9 minutes a game. The praise in GDT's seemed to be disproportionate to his role during games. They sent him down to play de la Rose, who from what it sounds like is a more experienced version of Ehn?

Oct 18, 2006

Some people can’t help but hyperbole so much can they?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

It's not that Ehn is a key factor in the fate of the franchise. It's that, on a roster filled with players who are either not yet ready for their eventual role or who are seemingly past their expiration date...one of the few guys who did his assigned job effectively is getting bounced, and for a guy who stands little chance of doing that job noticeably better.

Reactions: Filppula

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
They know what they've got in Ehn, for the most part: A defensively-responsible 3rd/4th line center. Great, let's give him some actual North American playing time with the Griffins.

Let's see what de la Rose has. Is he better? Is he worse? Is he complimentary? Maybe they waive Frk, bring Ehn back, and those two are the new Maltby/Draper. Who knows?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He obviously has no clue what he's doing on the ice if he's got a positive +/-. We need to spend $10M on the 4th line to show him how to tank properly.

Definitely sends the wrong message, waive Abby or trade Glenny. He also should have been given more minutes, it's not as if anyone else was playing any better except maybe Larkin/AA.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Anyone remember the outrage when we lost Frk, Pulkkinen and Nestrasil? Its Déjà vu. This move means nothing in regards to the re-build.

Reactions: izlez

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I wonder if they want to try Ehn out in some offensive situations in Grand Rapids. Hes not getting many minutes right now and has been solid but possible they want him to develop a bit more for the long term.. This is essentially a lost season for the wings so let him try to develop some offense and become a third line center

Reactions: RedMenace

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think they try to use and see as many prospects us they can . Some will stay , some will go , some will be in GR, we should see as many prospects us we can . This team suppose to get high draft pics for next 2 years , chill, we going to be great again in 5 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad